IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking about Re-Painting my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 09:23 PM
is-fowner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about Re-Painting my car?

i bought a 2010 sgm is-f on december 5. i loved the color but now im worried about chips scratches and what not i would like to paint it stafire or MM. but am open to your guys thoughts. p.s. im a very good detailer so i know about car protection and 3m clear bras thanks guys
Old 01-09-10, 09:25 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

never ever ever ever ever ever. mess with the factory paint.
Old 01-09-10, 09:28 PM
is-fowner
Driver

please explain sir btw thanks for quick reply.
Old 01-09-10, 09:36 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

wow...dont do it! You got the car a month ago and want to paint it already?? Why didn't you just get the color you wanted to begin with?
Old 01-09-10, 09:38 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is-fowner
please explain sir btw thanks for quick reply.
you prolly don't realize how much money goes into your factory paint.... It may cost peanuts to the MFG but if you were to get an after market semi metallic paint job over an existing factory painted car AND EXPECT the same results as it just rolled of the showroom floor....than you are looking at a mere 8-10 THOUSAND dollars.... you just cant do a MAACO job on your IS-F and expect an awesome Job

but hell if you got money to burn and want to change a stock color to an already existing stock color than be my guess
Old 01-09-10, 09:40 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

i bought a 2010 sgm is-f on december 5. i loved the color but now im worried about chips scratches and what not i would like to paint it stafire or MM. but am open to your guys thoughts. p.s. im a very good detailer so i know about car protection and 3m clear bras thanks guys
if you are a good detailer than you know 3m film and clear bras are the way to go
Old 01-09-10, 09:46 PM
is-fowner
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus999
you prolly don't realize how much money goes into your factory paint.... It may cost peanuts to the MFG but if you were to get an after market semi metallic paint job over an existing factory painted car AND EXPECT the same results as it just rolled of the showroom floor....than you are looking at a mere 8-10 THOUSAND dollars.... you just cant do a MAACO job on your IS-F and expect an awesome Job

but hell if you got money to burn and want to change a stock color to an already existing stock color than be my guess
i love my car hate the paint. i can afford to do it if i paid 8 to 10 how you said would it be a very good job. illl take it to a top notch place.and im still gonna throw on a clear bra but im talking about after washing and stuff.those scares and swirls
Old 01-09-10, 09:46 PM
is-fowner
Driver

also look at artisan turbo's F that paints sick
Old 01-09-10, 09:49 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

also look at artisan turbo's F that paints sick
ya i know...i met the guy in houston before he moved to dallas..... thats a 15K paint job
Old 01-09-10, 09:56 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

8 to 10 how you said would it be a very good job. illl take it to a top notch place.

woah! never said it's guaranteed .. research the painter, body shop etc... get referrals, talk to people before you blow 8k... you need to get infor on how the painting is done..what stages will the car be in...i.e. make sure they completely gut the car and repaint all the hinges and jams, make sure they do a proper sanding, sealer, primer, clear coat, base paint, metallic paint.... remember our ISF have close 3-4 coats of shine to the factory paint. you need to check on these things...
Old 01-09-10, 09:59 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

taking it to a top notch place does not mean quality work....its all about who works on your car...remember at these shops.... there is one guy that knows his stuff and the rest of those guys just follow his orders.... you need to do research before you do something this crazy on a brand new IS-F
Old 01-09-10, 10:10 PM
is-fowner
Driver

yes i know im going to be getting many many many referrals i appreciate all your help man you really know what your talking about . thanks
Old 01-09-10, 10:19 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus999
if you are a good detailer than you know 3m film and clear bras are the way to go
If you already have rock chips and scratches on the front of your car, then it is too late to apply a 3m clear bra. In a couple years after you get more wear and tear, just get the front of your car re-sprayed by a pro and your car will look new. Clear bras fade and discolor your paint after time and for almost the same price it takes to apply a clear bra you can just repaint the frontmbup:
Old 01-09-10, 10:22 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would it not be cheaper and less of a headache to trade with someone with the OEM color you are looking for?
Old 01-09-10, 10:25 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Dont do it bro. It's as if you were to throw 8-10k down the drain.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Re-Painting my car?