IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IsF trade in for Gs350???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 12:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the GS prior to picking up my F. We had been given one as a loaner a couple of times and thought it was pretty good. It does lack some of the things that a 5 or E offer (ie. rear seat room, not quite as sharp handling) but was a good overall package. I was only interested in the hybrid and wouldn't have considered any of the other models.

Unfortunately, with the new E class out already, and the new 5 arriving in a few months, I think if you're looking at '10's the BMW or MB are far ahead of any GS but the hybrid. Hopefully Lexus has a competitive answer very soon.
Old 12-15-09, 12:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I came from a 07 GS350 to my 09 ISF.

GS350 Pros:
More room (seating, trunk not so much)
Compliant ride
Very good gas mileage
Good accelleration
Good Braking
Smart Key Lock/Unlockable rear door handles
Stylish

GS350 Cons:
Numb steering feel
Floaty feel like an ES350.
Dash rattles (which were later fixed correctly at dealer)
Boring to drive (even with modified suspension and wheel/tires) period.

If you're moving into a 3GS for practical reasons, go for it. Otherwise keep the F.
Old 12-15-09, 01:23 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for a GS, then like other said you are probably looking for practicality. And if that's what you need, then go for it! You can't really compared the 2 cars because they are built with different purposes in mind. You will miss the performance aspect for sure though. The GS is really one of the most boring cars I have ever driven (Besides the LS), but it's a dang good cruiser.
Old 12-15-09, 10:56 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Thanks for all of your replies,, I went to test drive the 2010 Gs350Awd, all I can say is Fail!!! LOL I am definitely keeping my IsF, the heck with the Gs.... I was getting a bit fed up with the F, Its fast but not fast enough, the rear seat is really cramped in the F, the trunk is small, and I guess I was getting a bit bored of the car. After the test drive, all I can say is, the Gs is slow, the rear seat is bigger, but not by alot, the steering feels very numb, the oem rims are retarded small, the center console (navi screen and hvac buttons) look cheesy, cheap when compared to the Is F. I couldnt justify jumping from a F to a Gs350, especially when they told me they wanted $10k and my F for their Gs350... I just walked out of the dealer after hearing that the F is rwd, they are not selling that well cause its gonna be snowing soon,,, blah blah blah.... I guess I will keep the F till something else interest me....
Old 12-16-09, 12:59 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
Quite the opposite, I found that the LS is more prone to carsickness with little one that are sensitive to it, than the stiff IS-F.
What makes you car sick is not the harsh suspension jolts (like on the IS-F) but the wobbly, low frequency, oscillations of the suspension (like on the GS/LS)

We all know that kids don't lie, right? My 8 y.o. prefers the back seat and ride of a frappin' Kia Rio to the back seat and ride of the IS-F. The rides as rough as a cob and the hard plastic divider between the rear seats sux big time!
Old 12-16-09, 05:43 PM
foup
Driver

I am still waiting for a GS-F to appear... In the meanwhile, if the GS had the F transmission, even with 300 HP, I think I would appreciate it way more. I tried all GS before I got my F (and actually came to buy a GS460 before the saleswoman asked me to try the other "car" there) and the GS reminded me too much of a "boat" car, too floaty but, more annoying, a too conventional transmission (you know with those 3 second delays when upshifting or unpredictable downshifts). Anyway, the "sport" mode in the GS did not make it for me. I liked the acceleration of the 450H though but same issue with the tranny and no trunk space...
Old 12-16-09, 06:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Thanks for all of your replies,, I went to test drive the 2010 Gs350Awd, all I can say is Fail!!! LOL I am definitely keeping my IsF, the heck with the Gs.... I was getting a bit fed up with the F, Its fast but not fast enough, the rear seat is really cramped in the F, the trunk is small, and I guess I was getting a bit bored of the car. After the test drive, all I can say is, the Gs is slow, the rear seat is bigger, but not by alot, the steering feels very numb, the oem rims are retarded small, the center console (navi screen and hvac buttons) look cheesy, cheap when compared to the Is F. I couldnt justify jumping from a F to a Gs350, especially when they told me they wanted $10k and my F for their Gs350... I just walked out of the dealer after hearing that the F is rwd, they are not selling that well cause its gonna be snowing soon,,, blah blah blah.... I guess I will keep the F till something else interest me....
I understand wanting to keep the ISF over a GS but don't call the interior cheesy or cheap. I've been in the ISF a couple times and I don't recall the interior being superior, just more sporty.
The rest I understand but those of us with wheel and suspension mods aren't complaining about the steering or the ride. It's a preference thing. I like luxury with sport. You like pounding the pavement. I wouldn't put down your car for your choice, why be negative on the GS? It's not your prefernce. It's all good but it ain't cheap or cheesy.
Old 12-16-09, 06:05 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default No GS F I'm afraid

Well....I have read in several mags the GS F is not comin'...that's what I was kinda waiting for myself...but I believe it's been shelved..actually twice now...
airlaird
Old 12-16-09, 06:29 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ice350
I understand wanting to keep the ISF over a GS but don't call the interior cheesy or cheap. I've been in the ISF a couple times and I don't recall the interior being superior, just more sporty.
The rest I understand but those of us with wheel and suspension mods aren't complaining about the steering or the ride. It's a preference thing. I like luxury with sport. You like pounding the pavement. I wouldn't put down your car for your choice, why be negative on the GS? It's not your prefernce. It's all good but it ain't cheap or cheesy.
haha, bro, dont get offended, I didnt meant to say the GS is a cheap or cheesy car, I probably worded it wrong, the navi unit in the Gs looks "weird" with the round circle button... I just wish it had the nice fuller looking button over the small little circles. being that way, it didnt give me a "grand" look and feel, thats why I put cheap as a way of describing it. Also, for a car that looks alot bigger than the IS, the navi screen looks smaller than the IS, I dunno if its the bigger dash and centerconsole in the GS or if it is indeed a smaller screen size. Another thing that my GF pointed out, the upper door panel looks very Plastic. And with the IS coming with 17inch alloy rims even on its cheapest Is250 Platform, I really think that a minimum of 18 should be standard on a near $50k car thats why i said it came with retarded small rims,,,, cmon guys, a honda civic that is $16k comes with 16inch rims and their Mugen Si comes with 18inch standard... I am sorry if I offended any Gs owners, I did not mean to offend anyone. I like the GS myself otherwise I wouldnt consider selling my IsF for a Gs right?