IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

trade in value for the F

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 12:21 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade in value for the F

Quick question guys, I have a 08 IsF with 6500 miles, it has the ML and Navi and the parking sensors, and headlight washers, I kbb the car and trade in value is $47,00-48,000 and edmunds priced it at around $50K!! How come the dealers are offering $40-$44k when it bluebooks at $47-48k? And we are talking about trade in value, not private party or retail!!! I know the kbb and edmunds are not going to be dead-on for pricing but dude, we are talking about a big difference in price.... I feel that the trade in value for 08s should have went back up a bit due to a better recovering economy, and their are no more trunk money for leftover 08s, and not to mention that more and more ppl are realizing the good value the F is now especially since dealers are not charging full sticker for them anymore. I dont expect $47-48 for my car but realistically, Im thinking $46ish is a fair price for my car trade in wise..... what you think?
Old 11-14-09, 01:18 PM
death
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers base the price they offer you on the value of the car at auction. Therefore the trade-in value is rarely if ever honored. The only case where they will give you trade-in value is if you're buying another car from them. They make up the difference in price $$$ in both deals and you the customer gets screwed.

The auction prices for an 08 IS-F in October of this year were at or around $42k. (depending on miles and condition)

The best advice I can give you is to attempt to sell the car private party. Check auto trader, cars.com, and e-bay to get a rough idea of the price range of your vehicle in your area. Based on my research you can pick up an 08 IS-F with roughly 20k miles for under $45k. But that's only if you're willing to travel to pick up your car.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 11-14-09, 03:43 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

dealers tend to lowball you for your trade in, cuz they wanna make a profit. it is a secondhand sale, so they'll get profit from the depreciation from the vehicle you're trading in and the new vehicle you're driving off their lot. it is best to privately sell your ride and use that money as a down payment for a new car, even if it may be harder to find a buyer. in these economic times, especially during the holidays, i dont see all too many people wanting cars when they're out shopping for gifts and treats for family and such.
Old 11-14-09, 09:41 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

more like 35-38k...
Old 11-14-09, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

40k is probably what you should expect. 48k is ridiculous. kbb pricing is always on the high side anyway. considering that a lot of the 08 went for 48k, i don't expect you to get close to that for trade in
Old 11-15-09, 12:28 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's nice to dream but when reality sets in, you are lucky to get $40k from a dealer.

Keep in mind even though the dealer is screwing you, they are still "doing you a favor" since they are paying you SOLID CASH for your ride without knowing when they will find a buyer. This is the convenience for you to sell the car on the spot.

It's sad but that's a fact of dealer life and trade-ins. They make money on you both ways.

As others have said if you want more, sell privately then you have to deal with joyriders, tire kickers, bullshi#ting people, finance, and maybe shipping. This is why the dealer is doing you a favor by allowing you to trade in.

rick
Old 11-15-09, 06:15 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

$43k-$44k should be doable on a trade in for a car with only 6k miles....Dealer offered me $42k for my F with 20k miles.
Old 11-15-09, 08:36 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM
A better recovering economy? Do some reading of the facts instead of watching the evening news propaganda for the sheeples. Maybe then you'll have a more realistic perspective on what the trade in value is.
If you look at Edmunds.com you will realize that many manufactures have yanked out their rebates and dealer cash. If car sales havent improved lately why would the car manufactures yank out their incentives? I dont even read the news, I just do my research and its obvious if cars are not selling well, the manufactures are more than willing to throw in tons of incentives to help sell the car, but recently, that is not the case.
Old 11-15-09, 08:37 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Salil022
$43k-$44k should be doable on a trade in for a car with only 6k miles....Dealer offered me $42k for my F with 20k miles.
Hey bro, which dealer was this and what were you planning to trade it in for? I see that you are in Delaware which is pretty closeby. let me know, thanks
Old 11-16-09, 06:11 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

When I sold my car to a wholesaler about 4 months ago I got $43500. It was optioned out similar to yours except no headlight washers, but I had just over 12k miles.
Old 11-17-09, 08:46 AM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

what were you thinking about getting, just out of curiosity?
Old 11-17-09, 07:45 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

haha, I can never make up my mind, I can change my mind on a weekly basis, one week its a Mercedes E Class, next week its a Bmw M3, and then a Bmw 535, then a mitsubishi Evo Mr, then a Mazda 3 speed, I even thought of a Mugen Si before I picked up my F... lol. For this week its a Honda Odyssey Touring.... Lmao I was actually thinking about a Gs cause its so much bigger and more comfy. I love my F but I am sick of not being able to use my 400+hp in our wonderfully slow 55mph speed limit... Sometimes it makes me feel like this car is useless and nothing but trouble coming if I step on it. I live in Philly and recently it seems like everyday there is road construction on the highway and everyone is crawling at a wonderful 40mph and all 3 lanes of the highway is packed leaving me with my 400+hp Lexus with nowhere to go... Makes me wanna trade it in for something more big and comfy even if it means losing speed. Not like I need it anymore...
Old 11-19-09, 01:25 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Canadian guys, I was offered $45K from MB for my '08, with Series 2 and winter wheels/tires....38K km. Even if I were to sell it privately, I'd still be upside down about $10K....too much to give up at this point. Damn, that E63 would have looked good in my driveway.
Old 11-19-09, 01:27 PM
pli
Lead Lap

my buddy got 46k for his IS-F about 6 months ago. it had under 5k miles
Old 11-19-09, 03:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
For the Canadian guys, I was offered $45K from MB for my '08, with Series 2 and winter wheels/tires....38K km. Even if I were to sell it privately, I'd still be upside down about $10K....too much to give up at this point. Damn, that E63 would have looked good in my driveway.
and the new e63 is a pretty sweet car too

Quick Reply: trade in value for the F