IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Lexus Service experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 11:15 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Lexus Service experience

So, I took my '08 F in for it's first service (5k). In addition to the usual, I mentioned two things to the service rep.

First, the parking brake had always been mush - it easily mashed "to the floor" and on a slight hill it would still rock onto the transmission. His response was that it always rocks onto the transmission and that's how it should be. They tightened it anyway... I don't claim to be an expert, but that disagrees with everything I've ever heard and seems like BS to me. I thought the whole point was to keep the load off the trans.

Second, I complained about a buzz/whine when using the Aux input with my iPod... I knew there was a TSB for what seems like exactly my problem (which I mentioned), but didn't check it closely before going in - seems it doesn't mention the F, just the x50s. He said he'd check if it applies, and ultimately claimed that the F had different stereo components than the x50s. They sure seemed identical to me! Any chance he's right?

Maybe my expectations were too high after all the praise Lexus gets for service, but I wasn't impressed when I left...

So is it me, or should I seek a different SA or even dealer for service?

Last edited by AU_EE; 10-09-09 at 11:16 PM. Reason: lousy grammar
Old 10-09-09, 11:27 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

I get that high pitched buzz/whine when using my ipod sometimes too, but ive found that the only time i hear the sound is when im charging the iphone at the same time as its plugged into the aux. Maybe try playing the ipod without charging it at the same time and see if the sounds is still there?
Old 10-09-09, 11:58 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

i was never impressed with my service at my lexus dealership. my acura dealer and even honda dealer service department provided at least equally good services. the lexus waiting room looks better and provide more free goodies, but other than that, my Honda service adviser actually is more knowledgeable and courteous.
Old 10-10-09, 02:36 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never had a problem with Lexus service, prices are high but the people are great !!
Old 10-10-09, 05:18 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had a problem. In fact, the opposite.
Old 10-10-09, 09:28 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

I had one problem at a Dealership, but I now go to a different one and they are great!!

Hennessey Lexus of Gwinnett FTW!
Old 10-10-09, 09:37 AM
tryama
Rookie

I've experienced both issues that you've mentioned. My parking brake seems to be loose and still rocks once I engage it. Also only when I'm charging my ipod or iphone, like others have mentioned, I am able to hear the high pitched buzz.

When they tightened the brake, did it seem to help? I was thinking about taking it in as well to get the brake tightened and my mirror changed out, but will probably wait for a bigger issue if the brake doesn't seem to have changed.
Old 10-10-09, 10:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Finding the right "Service Advisor" is always the hardest part...

Usually goes right in hand with find the right Tech to work on your F.

Jz
Old 10-10-09, 10:18 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Finding the right "Service Advisor" is always the hardest part...

Usually goes right in hand with find the right Tech to work on your F.

Jz
Great point. I guess if you find the right SA, he (or she) will take care of finding the right tech/mechanic.
Old 10-10-09, 10:19 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love lexus service! They always seem very nice and helpful!
Old 10-10-09, 10:42 AM
rutiger
Rookie

are you charging the ipod? whine is induced from charging with a power adapter in pretty much every vehicle i've been in. if the car can power the ipod with a real interface unit it shouldn't happen. i get whine in the is f only when using the cig lighter to power the ipod or iphone.
Old 10-10-09, 10:55 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Lexus of Edison in North Jersey services my F and they have been nothing but awesome. I brought my car in for the 5k service and before going in I emailed them and mentioned about the rear view mirror tsb and how my all weather mats has a hole in it already with only 3000 miles in my car. No questions asked, they ordered me a whole new set of mats and the rear view mirror parts, adjusted my parking brakes cause I complained about it not grabbing, and the 5k service, and had my car washed spanking clean. Oh, free soda, coffee, muffin, bagels, and if you go in at lunchtime, free wraps and hoagies too. lol Not free, it comes out of our $150 lof service, but hey, its better than getting charged $150 for the lof service with no free food... lol
Old 10-10-09, 01:05 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Originally Posted by tryama
I've experienced both issues that you've mentioned. My parking brake seems to be loose and still rocks once I engage it. Also only when I'm charging my ipod or iphone, like others have mentioned, I am able to hear the high pitched buzz.
I was charging it; I'll have to try w/o next time I take it out. Anyone know if the same thing happens if I use something like the Vias integration kits and charge while using?

Originally Posted by tryama
When they tightened the brake, did it seem to help? I was thinking about taking it in as well to get the brake tightened and my mirror changed out, but will probably wait for a bigger issue if the brake doesn't seem to have changed.
It definitely helped... I expected tighter still, but I'm satisfied.
Old 10-10-09, 03:07 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Like JoeZ said, it's important to find a dealership/SA that is reputable, and one that you can trust. My first Lexus service experience was the opposite, as I was blown away by the dealership and customer service. It was awesome.
Old 10-10-09, 04:33 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU_EE
I was charging it; I'll have to try w/o next time I take it out. Anyone know if the same thing happens if I use something like the Vias integration kits and charge while using?
i had that same crap with an china made adaptor... i installed the vias kit and it canceled the noise and made the music sound SO MUCH BETTER

and it charges the phone and allows me to control the music via steering wheel

Quick Reply: First Lexus Service experience