IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Blackstone UOA Thread - Post Your UOA HERE!

Old 05-17-17, 04:46 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zojirushi
Latest UOA. Mobil 0w40 has been in the car for about 3 years and for 8k miles. Iron has gone down since the last analysis. I didn't add any oil or change the oil filter during this interval. Goes to show that time isn't as big of a factor as some say. Also noted was that the recalls performed (ELF + radiator fan) and water pump replacement didn't affect the oil sample. I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 for the current oil change because Walmart wasn't carrying my normal 0w40 at the time. Hopefully, the 5w30 can also withstand the extended time period oil change.
Recommended weight is 5w30. Whats the story behind the 0w40?
Old 05-18-17, 03:03 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I received Blackstone report a few weeks ago and it was stellar without any issues. I then came across of this thread and post #37, I'm now questioning the validity of my results.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...tic-oil-3.html
The following 2 users liked this post by avgj0F:
mikersoft (05-18-17), supersonic (05-18-17)
Old 05-18-17, 03:21 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
I received Blackstone report a few weeks ago and it was stellar without any issues. I then came across of this thread and post #37, I'm now questioning the validity of my results.

Wow.. Very interesting.. Thanks for sharing.

-Mike
Old 05-18-17, 04:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F

You are not alone in your doubt.
Old 05-18-17, 05:12 PM
supersonic
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. Now that just destroyed my confidence in stretching the oil. Lobxuracer, did you find another quality lab to do your UOAs? Please let us know, if so. I have an oil change happening in a couple days and want to be sure to collect some for a UOA.
Old 05-18-17, 05:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I will be sending parallel samples to Tribologik and Blackstone. Haven't decided which engine to use yet - the GS F or the IS F, but I will be doing it soon. The GS F is due for a regular 5k mile OCI.
The following users liked this post:
supersonic (05-18-17)
Old 05-18-17, 06:05 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Yea, Holy sh!$@&......................Just read that thread/link that guy just blew my mind with his breakdown of your oil analysis by Blackstone!

Lance,

Let us know if you find another quality lab with what that guy recommends (right certifications etc....)

I just changed my oil too after about 12,500 miles on that interval. Actually forgot to bring my sample container for Blackstone so I don't have one to send in this time. Maybe it's time to lower to 10k intervals and just stick to that time frame and send to another lab pending price??

Edit: Saw your going to try another lab, looking forward to how they compare to Blackstone test results as they'll be parallel samples....
Old 05-18-17, 07:30 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../IMG_3685.jpeg
Old 05-18-17, 09:22 PM
supersonic
Rookie

enhance.
Enhance.
Old 06-11-17, 01:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So here we are. Tribologik and Blackstone with samples drawn midstream from a full oil change on the GS F.

Capture method was using a very empty Mobil 1 5 quart container while the oil was pouring into the catch pan. I pulled about 2 quarts after letting the oil run for 10 seconds or so. This oil went into the Blackstone sample container, and I poured this same oil into the container Dan provided. They were as equal as I know how to make them. The numbers are quite a bit different and the analysis is also different. I advised both companies I had made an error and left the oil fill cap loose after adding 0.5 quarts of oil about 500 miles before the OCI. Truth be told, the engine operated with NO oil cap because I failed to put it back on the engine after adjusting the oil level. My total stupid. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time cleaning up an oily mess under the hood, and a lot of money went in the garage curse jar.

Both companies showed high silicates - and they should have. Blackstone was dismissive. Blackstone failed to see the water or fuel in the sample, and Dan had already warned me to expect this. Their testing methodology is primitive, and the results are not something to bank on. Both companies advised me their analysis would be better if they knew what brand and weight of oil was in the engine, but this was a Lexus service, not my own, so I really don't know what was in there. I just know they put too much of it in the engine when I got it back from their service. It was 2+ inches above the full mark on the dipstick. I did remedy that myself with a plastic hose through the dipstick tube and my vacuum pump.

At any rate, my confidence in the Blackstone report is not good. The water and fuel dilution Tribologik identified tells me the analysis at Blackstone is very limited, and if I want the most accurate picture, I need to change labs. I will also post this in the RC F forum where all this discussion about labs and capabilities originated. Hopefully Dan will be able to chime in and explain what all the numbers mean from a practical perspective.
Attached Thumbnails Blackstone UOA Thread - Post Your UOA HERE!-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2017.06.07 - GSF_1.pdf (162.6 KB, 108 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
imp0rted1 (07-16-18), Quadrphnia (12-13-17)
Old 06-11-17, 06:53 PM
supersonic
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So here we are. Tribologik and Blackstone with samples drawn midstream from a full oil change on the GS F.

Capture method was using a very empty Mobil 1 5 quart container while the oil was pouring into the catch pan. I pulled about 2 quarts after letting the oil run for 10 seconds or so. This oil went into the Blackstone sample container, and I poured this same oil into the container Dan provided. They were as equal as I know how to make them. The numbers are quite a bit different and the analysis is also different. I advised both companies I had made an error and left the oil fill cap loose after adding 0.5 quarts of oil about 500 miles before the OCI. Truth be told, the engine operated with NO oil cap because I failed to put it back on the engine after adjusting the oil level. My total stupid. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time cleaning up an oily mess under the hood, and a lot of money went in the garage curse jar.

Both companies showed high silicates - and they should have. Blackstone was dismissive. Blackstone failed to see the water or fuel in the sample, and Dan had already warned me to expect this. Their testing methodology is primitive, and the results are not something to bank on. Both companies advised me their analysis would be better if they knew what brand and weight of oil was in the engine, but this was a Lexus service, not my own, so I really don't know what was in there. I just know they put too much of it in the engine when I got it back from their service. It was 2+ inches above the full mark on the dipstick. I did remedy that myself with a plastic hose through the dipstick tube and my vacuum pump.

At any rate, my confidence in the Blackstone report is not good. The water and fuel dilution Tribologik identified tells me the analysis at Blackstone is very limited, and if I want the most accurate picture, I need to change labs. I will also post this in the RC F forum where all this discussion about labs and capabilities originated. Hopefully Dan will be able to chime in and explain what all the numbers mean from a practical perspective.
ugggh. this is super disappointing and annoying. i liked blackstone for their detailed descriptions. now we have to find another company for all this? going to tribulogik's website made it seem you can only be a commerical account. how much was the cost for sampling?
Old 06-12-17, 08:59 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks Lance for the update on this. I will no longer be using Blackstone for oil analysis because this has been brought to light!
Old 12-13-17, 02:50 AM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, ***t.

Guess I’ll be doing the 5k change after all.
Old 12-13-17, 08:41 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't know how I missed the updates to this thread. Thank you for this analysis.
I've got a sample on the shelf now waiting to be sent to Blackstone. Think I'll say the hell with it.
Old 01-12-18, 01:29 AM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, can someone bottom line this thread?I read it all and the other one.

Did some damge their engine going 10k plus with the yzza4? Was that only with non sysnthetic?

What are the conclusions? Wix oil filter and m1ep are good for 10k?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blackstone UOA Thread - Post Your UOA HERE!