IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I MIGHT say goodbye!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 01:23 PM
anson89
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I MIGHT say goodbye!

So I was detailing a customer's GT-R yesterday and he said his "fast car" days are over and is thinking about selling it and buy a Toyota Prius for himself. In fact, he asked me if he wants it for $60,000. It's a premium, black on black, 12,000 miles on it which I think is an awesome deal.

What are your thoughts? I've only had the F for 6 months and I'm still loving that car. I've been drooling over the GT-R for a while now. It's a beast, the mean looks, twin turbo and the attention. One thing it doesn't have is the luxury of the F, the black and white leather seats, reverse camera, it's not BLUE, the mirrors doesn't go down when you reverse (I know, I'm spoiled), the overpriced maintenance and for some odd reason, my F's exhaust sounds louder.

I might just sell the RX350 and keep both F and the GT-R.

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-20-09, 01:37 PM
cm09578
Lead Lap

I would keep the F, but that just me. I have an F as well as the 2010 Rx. Loving both!
Old 09-20-09, 01:46 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Man... if your going to pass it up can you PM me a number lol...
Old 09-20-09, 02:47 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

I say get rid of the RX and get the GT-R and keep the F!
Old 09-20-09, 02:49 PM
foup
Driver

1. Be ware of too attractive a price for a used car. I don't know what the value of his car is but if it sounds like a great deal this might deserve a better look (maybe a problem somewhere?)

2. Keep your F. GTR is a track car and is not a practical car at all. Perhaps if he had a F he would have kept it. As for turning heads, if this is really what you wants, there are many other less risky used cars you could consider (Porsche, Ferrari, Lombo, etc) for the same price, perhaps as impractical as the GTR. As I said on this forum, I find the GTR ugly though I am humble by its performance. I also think it's overpriced (like mostly all German cars by the way).
Old 09-20-09, 03:03 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I think you should sell the RX and get the GT-R......it is a very fast car.
Old 09-20-09, 03:28 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by foup
1. Be ware of too attractive a price for a used car. I don't know what the value of his car is but if it sounds like a great deal this might deserve a better look (maybe a problem somewhere?)

2. Keep your F. GTR is a track car and is not a practical car at all. Perhaps if he had a F he would have kept it. As for turning heads, if this is really what you wants, there are many other less risky used cars you could consider (Porsche, Ferrari, Lombo, etc) for the same price, perhaps as impractical as the GTR. As I said on this forum, I find the GTR ugly though I am humble by its performance. I also think it's overpriced (like mostly all German cars by the way).
my thoughts exactly. you might not know what you're getting with the gt-r. it probably wont have some maintenance for a lil bit of time, but when it does, count on a lot of it. also , insurance plays a big role. having both the F and the GTR...it might be fine for you, but at the same time maybe not. ill admit, nissan did make a great car, but as stated before, it is a track car. press that button, and you void your warranty.
Old 09-20-09, 03:44 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

both the f and the gt-r are cars that i would love to own. it all depends on what you are looking to have in your garage. personaly if i had the funds to buy the gt-r i would sell the rx and get it. but its all in the eye of the beholder. imo i would go for it.but look into how much insurance is gunna run and read about maintance cost etc.... gl with the decision
Old 09-20-09, 03:45 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some people NEVER learn - rarely in life do you get something too good to be true for cheap or free unless it's a REALLY good friend you trust.

Heck I've even heard of family members cheating each other. Most likely he's had some trouble with the GTR and just wants to ditch it.

If you are goin to consider it, I suggest a thorough checkup at Nissan dealer.

IS-F and GTR are night and day (certainly not apples to apples).

my 2 cents
Old 09-20-09, 04:29 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Yesterday Sept 18 at the 9 District Federal Court in LA Nissan finally settled the GTR TRANSMISSION claim issues regarding the LC1 and the denying of warranty like happeded to my and to many other GTR owners.

First of all, I would like to thank Mr Harris who was the one that have all this started, and Mitch Kalcheim the attorney that believed in our claims and put his time and money in the line to get this case going foward until this end point.

For all the GTR owners that believed in our claims and gave us support, we thank them,for those GTR owners that believed that we were looking for money and said that our claims were ridiculous, once they receive all the benefits that arised from this settlement they may change their minds about it.

This is the end result:

1-All GTR owners that have LC1 used before and were afraid that the tranny did not have any warranty because of turning VDC off and doing a LC1 will have their warranties re-setted for 5yr or 60k miles if they upgrade to LC2. All LC1 will be forgotten and the tranny will be fully covered by NISSAN. After LC2 being installed, all LC2 with VDC on will be fully covered by NISSAN. If you turn VDC off today , do your thing ( drag/road course/etc) and the tranny goes bad at that moment, the warranty will not hold, BUT if the problem arise some time later after turning VDC off back on and driving the car without any issues and then BAMMM.......the tranny will be covered 100%. If not NISSAN WILL HAVE TO PROOF that turning VDC OFF a week or a month prior the damage was the cause of failure. THEY WILL NEED TO PROOF IT , not like before that they just saw the BB data and said it was not covered.

2- ALL 2009 GTR owners will get a $75 coupon for any kind of service at any GTR approved Nissan dealership as part of a class compensation for the time taken to update LC2.
All this will be happening in the next 2-3 months when GTR owners will be receiving notification from NISSAN
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....opic=33578&hl=
Old 09-20-09, 05:00 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

The GT-R might be fast and all but it's not nearly as daily driveable or reliable as your IS-F. All in all the decision is yours but if it was my money I'd probably stick to the F. The GT-R is a nice car and all but you wouldn't catch me dead owning one out of warranty... the parts on that thing are a fortune, and it's not a question of 'if' it's going to break, it's 'when.'
Old 09-20-09, 07:25 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

actually...I find the GT-R very easy to drive daily...I think the suspension in normal mode on the GT-R is not as rough as the IS-F...LoL...plus on the GT-R you can adjust it to comfort or race...so that's good..
Old 09-20-09, 07:29 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
actually...I find the GT-R very easy to drive daily...I think the suspension in normal mode on the GT-R is not as rough as the IS-F...LoL...plus on the GT-R you can adjust it to comfort or race...so that's good..
I forgot you have the isf and the gtr. what a baller
Old 09-20-09, 07:33 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the RX and get the gt-r

But keep the IS-F for Daily Driver.....
Old 09-20-09, 08:12 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Make sure he didnt void the warranty on the Gt-R