IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Intake and heat soak...what I did about it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 12:35 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool K&N Intake and heat soak...what I did about it.

Well I’ve had the K&N intake for a couple of months…I got it mainly because I got a great deal on it (my fiancé got it for me as a gift!!). But I thought I’d give some feedback. One thing I noticed about it was that there was some serious heat soak after driving pretty hard in 90+ California weather. How did I notice this…well after awhile it feels like the car is lagging and trying to pull, in other words, there was a serious loss of torque and power.

When you look at the K&N heat shield, you can easily see how poorly designed it is. It’s made out of metal, there are gaps all the way around the shield that allows for hot engine compartment air to be sucked in, especially in the bottom portion of the shield there is about a 1 inch gap. After a spirited drive, if you touch the K&N cone it’s pretty darn hot!! So what I did was go and get some thermal shielding and a Nomex intake tube shield and thermal shield the intake as much as possible. I close off all the gaps where hot air maybe sucked in and the only area that is open is where the stock front intake scoop opens into the K&N intake where it will only draw in cooler air from the front. Now even after a very long drive, the K&N intake is much cooler to the touch. Also its much smoother than before, and it feels like there is more power...but I can’t fully claim that without a dyno to back it up. I’m sorry, I haven’t gotten it dynoed yet…I need to save for the wedding but I’ll do much best to get it done soon and when I do, I’ll post the results. Below are the pictures of the thermal shielding of the K&N intake…Darshana S…
PS...It sounds badass too!

Old 09-13-09, 01:17 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

So basically you are trying to get the K&N intake setup to be as effective as the stocker.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-13-09 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 08:42 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I applaud your efforts but the question is all this work worth the gain if any???

My 2 cents is just keep the engine bay stock

btw congrats on being engaged ~ it's the biggest step in life!

rick
Old 09-14-09, 08:47 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what if you go and touch the stock inlet after driving hard, my bet is it is really hot.
Old 09-14-09, 09:59 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you did a pretty decent job fixing it! Glad it's running better
Old 09-14-09, 04:36 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

wasnt there a thread about K&N havin lil more power than stock??

i really havent had that much problem with K&N, and i really love the sound coming out from the intake... may be mine should run better if i did the same.. i did notice the intake tube getting really hot...
Old 09-15-09, 11:50 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Freeing up the intake tract and making it less restrictive will benefit drivabiltiy and power.

The problem is short rams draw in hot air, which is a huge disadvanatge for power.

Good job with the heat material Supraman. A lot of guys use heat shielding in a lot of applications.

We sell a lot of DEI products to the Subaru and Evo guys. I use a ton of heat reflective and retention items in my engine bay. It works, and very well if done right. As long as you can reflect heat away from the intake soruce, keep heat from getting in, and keep the actual pipe from getting heatsoaked you're golden

We have the DEI cool tube, and cool-tape, it would do what what you did. Although you could wrap the remaining bit of your pipe close to the block with the cool-tape.

Here's a pic of our TMIC wrapped in the cool-tape:

We also taped up some holes to our fender, where our CAI draws air:

It works very well
Old 09-15-09, 06:53 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

I got this idea from what I did on
my Supra. I thermal wrapped my intake box and it has a source of fresh fool outside air from the passenger side air duct. Then I wrapped the cold/output side my intercooler to keep the pipe and cooled compressed air from getting heatsoaked. I didn't bother with the intake pipe or the hot pipe of the intercooler because it was hot compressed air from the turbo that didn't need shielding from underhood heat...but may have helped to keep the underhood temps down by retaining the heat inside the pipes, but I did t have enough thermal wrap. Anyway, it made a big difference. And it definately helped with the IS-F too. People with this intake should seriously give this a try to get as much power out of their intake.
Old 12-01-09, 12:13 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Supraman16 did you sell your K&N intake? I see it's not listed in your signature.
Old 12-01-09, 06:41 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by caymandive
Supraman16 did you sell your K&N intake? I see it's not listed in your signature.
Nope, still got it...I fixed my signature. It feels great now with it being a little bit cooler out...Darshana S...
Old 12-02-09, 02:40 AM
Christan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the K&N intake make a huge performance difference?
Old 12-03-09, 02:50 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Supraman,

Where did you get the Nomex intake tube shield? I would like to try that piece myself.

I took a spirited drive today up and back Ortega Hwy, and I noticed when I returned my JoeZ intake tube was very hot. I think the tube shield may well be worth a try.

Thanks
Old 12-03-09, 03:37 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit has them.
Old 12-03-09, 03:58 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Supraman,

Where did you get the Nomex intake tube shield? I would like to try that piece myself.

I took a spirited drive today up and back Ortega Hwy, and I noticed when I returned my JoeZ intake tube was very hot. I think the tube shield may well be worth a try.

Thanks
Adding a heat shield to the JoeZ pipe won't do any good. The airflow through the tube is too quick to be affected by the tube temp. What I have found the intake tube good for though is as a temp gauge at the drag strip. When it's cool to the touch I know the car has cooled down enough to make another pass.
Old 12-03-09, 05:12 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supra have you had a chance to dyno your car to see if K&N's claims are credible?

Quick Reply: K&N Intake and heat soak...what I did about it.