See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

The $200 IS-F Exhaust Mod

Old 01-13-15, 03:07 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im ready to do this mod but I need to see some pics of the muffler section. the mufflers are huge. so a straight pipe goes in-place of the muffler? do you just weld the tail pipe with the duals to the straight pipe?
Old 01-13-15, 04:35 PM
jt321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lifethinkr
Im ready to do this mod but I need to see some pics of the muffler section. the mufflers are huge. so a straight pipe goes in-place of the muffler? do you just weld the tail pipe with the duals to the straight pipe?
You just cut off the secondary cats and weld in straight pipes and also cut off the muffler and weld in straight pipes.

You do not weld the dual tips to the straight pipe, there is going to be a space between the straight pipes and the dual tips, just like how there is a space between the muffler and the dual pipes now.

Ill try to take some pictures tonight and upload them so you can get a visual of what it looks like.

Last edited by jt321; 01-13-15 at 04:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-13-15, 05:47 PM
toyer14
Rookie

Default excited

So this mod, wont effect smog tests and codes right cause its passed oxygen sensors? And pics would be nice to see just for install and what it should look like. Havent heard the sound though all videos are no longer available. I would like to hear what it sounds like before modding. Why delete the mufflers after the cats? And its a butt dyno increase of an actual dyno increase?Thanks for all the info and help.
Old 01-14-15, 07:30 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

how's the drone at 2k RPM?
Old 01-15-15, 07:25 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There is some drone around that mark. I can't compare it to any other exhaust systems for the F since my car is the only one I've been in with an exhaust. I've gotten used to it.
Old 01-15-15, 08:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by toyer14
So this mod, wont effect smog tests and codes right cause its passed oxygen sensors? And pics would be nice to see just for install and what it should look like. Havent heard the sound though all videos are no longer available. I would like to hear what it sounds like before modding. Why delete the mufflers after the cats? And its a butt dyno increase of an actual dyno increase?Thanks for all the info and help.
Passing smog will depend on the state. If they just plug in an OBDII reader and look for codes, you'll likely pass. If they do any visual inspection, you will fail. Mufflers are required in all 50 states, so not having mufflers will definitely run a risk. I definitely would not drive in California with straight pipes. The CHP can (and I have seen) pull over any car they deem suspicious for violating smog laws. They will impound your car if it is not in compliance. This happened to a good friend of mine who was only guilty of driving a lowered car with legal tint. Think about how much you want to risk being hassled by the police before doing this mod.
Old 01-15-15, 12:06 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toyer14

Old 01-21-15, 03:08 AM
toyer14
Rookie

bump,bump,bump
Old 01-21-15, 06:50 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyer i think those 3 videos should answer all your q's
Old 01-21-15, 08:20 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

I had atrociously bad drone doing this mod, but I was straight piped all the way back (didn't keep the stock resonators). Sounded great at WOT, but the drone was so bad I went back to stock a few weeks later.
Old 01-21-15, 04:01 PM
toyer14
Rookie

is there any power gain with this mod?
Old 01-21-15, 04:54 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by calteg
I had atrociously bad drone doing this mod, but I was straight piped all the way back (didn't keep the stock resonators). Sounded great at WOT, but the drone was so bad I went back to stock a few weeks later.
I would have at least tried to install the resonator before going back all stock. I want to do this, but I'm just frightened of the drone. maybe ill do some flow masters? with the secondary cat delete.
Old 01-22-15, 05:09 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Were can I get a header to catback flange? Or what is the size of the flange? A technical drawing would be awesome

Old 01-22-15, 09:15 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by juanmedina
Were can I get a header to catback flange? Or what is the size of the flange? A technical drawing would be awesome

We have them. email me at sales@ppeengineering.com and I will look up a price for you.
Old 01-29-15, 04:22 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Thanks ^

So end up doing the mod; removed the cat and the mufflers. It sounds awesome, the car is quite if you keep the rpms really low. at 45mph, 60mph, 70mph the car is quiet almost like stock. Getting up to speed is a different story, there is a lot of drone at around 2000rpm but if you keep it below that or above that the car is surprisingly quite. At 80mph it kind of sucks since I am right at 2000rpm but when I drop a gear to get out of the 2000rpm zone the drone disappears and its hust a little bit louder than stock.

There is definitely and noticeable increase of power . Also the weight saving are decent, I weighted the muffler and they weight about 14.2lbs, I didn't have a chance to weight the cats. I believe there is about close to 40lbs in weight savings...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The $200 IS-F Exhaust Mod