IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Retrofitting Mechanical Limited Slip Differential (LSD) 08-09 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 11:28 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisburke
i might just get the tom's. i just need to find a shop capable of installing it and where to buy one.
Foool! I know the shop and where to buy one
Old 09-08-09, 12:58 AM
Christan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill wait for the Torsen one hehe. TOMs Malaysia told me that they MAY know some guys in Japan who can reflash the ECU to get it to work. We just need to wait for it to become available.

Lots of IFs, MAYS and BUTS.. but there is hope
Old 09-08-09, 12:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Did you see post #29 in this thread??
No Joe. But i'm glad you have.
Old 09-08-09, 12:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
No Joe. But i'm glad you have.
Come on now...
Old 09-19-09, 11:15 AM
Christan
Driver

Wanna hear some good news? TOMs Malaysia Spoke to TOMs Japan and they said that installing LSD on the IS F poses no problem at all. this is the Toms 1 way Mech LSD. The rationale is this, the Electronic LSD system on the IS F, kicks in much later than what it leads on to be.

Now we have to wait for the original Torsen version as TOMs did say that their LSD is "a little rough". I think this looks good for us folks Once the parts become available, ill be in line to do it. I just cant wait. Like i said before in first post. This will even things up a bit with m3 handling.

oh and a little more precision on steering too but no one can deny that IS Fs can drift.
Old 09-19-09, 12:42 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christan
Wanna hear some good news? TOMs Malaysia Spoke to TOMs Japan and they said that installing LSD on the IS F poses no problem at all. this is the Toms 1 way Mech LSD. The rationale is this, the Electronic LSD system on the IS F, kicks in much later than what it leads on to be.

Now we have to wait for the original Torsen version as TOMs did say that their LSD is "a little rough". I think this looks good for us folks Once the parts become available, ill be in line to do it. I just cant wait. Like i said before in first post. This will even things up a bit with m3 handling.

oh and a little more precision on steering too but no one can deny that IS Fs can drift.
Exactly what I have been saying all along.

-Kevin
Old 09-19-09, 12:48 PM
Christan
Driver

You are absolutely right Kevin
I went back to read what you said. Now i guess we can just wait for the part!
Old 09-19-09, 01:58 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I honestly don't think the time, money and effort put into retrofitting the mechanical LSD into the previous IS F would be worth it unless you're going to be tracking this beast to all hell and back. A true mechanical LSD does not have a logical place in a majority of real world applications, even if these is some excitement to be had on public roads.
Pardon my ignorance, though I understand the purpose of a differential and why it needs to be locked (otherwise I suppose if a wheel is in the air the other one would stop getting torque), in what regards is the electronic system in the F -which supposedly acts like a LSD- a problem for everyday, even fast, driving? First, I suppose it's probably very rare when I get a wheel up even during "my" hard cornering but should it happen, if the VDIM acts too late (compared to a true LSD) then I suppose I am going to lose a little bit of speed, but no more. Am I correct? If so, that's fine, perhaps that would save me a wreck down the road...

Now, should I go to a track (I still have to but if I really wanted to I would have a got a two-seater), in sport mode, is the VDIM supposed to act more aggressively, emulating better a true LSD?

The fact that Lexus is putting a LSD in the 2010 model makes me wonder if the VDIM does indeed perform as good as anticipated. I am puzzled why Lexus would do that for track driving, or very few of its F customers. This car really has a major problem, experienced by a large percentage of the customers, which is its suspension, and Lexus could have solved that in the 10 model instead of putting a real LSD. Further, a better suspension may reduce the need of a real LSD (after all the wheels are supposed to stay on the tarmac under all circumstances, aren't they)?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-19-09, 02:36 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

its not all about the wheel in the air. the LSD steers the car in hard turns. being able to plant the power to BOTH wheels and point the car in the direction you want in a hard turn makes things alot easier. FYI...
Old 09-20-09, 01:35 AM
Christan
Driver

Yes, the suspension is one issue, because we do not have have a suspension which is adjustable like the m3 so the inclusion of a mechanical LSD would definitely make this better. I think Lexus did not want to make the IS F too different from the IS 250s/350s. Just my 2 cents.

But mech LSD works a lot better than electronic LSD, also because of feel and making the steering a little more precise. But you are right if anything is going to make the most difference its the suspension. An adjustable one.
Old 09-20-09, 04:00 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the IS-F should come with a "Dynamic" suspension that is adjustable, just like the e92, e90... "F-Dynamic's" .....
Old 09-20-09, 05:21 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the LSD retrofit is the same as any other diff swap and to take advantage of it once it's fitted, you would want to drive with VDIM off.
Old 09-20-09, 02:33 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by chrisburke
its not all about the wheel in the air. the LSD steers the car in hard turns. being able to plant the power to BOTH wheels and point the car in the direction you want in a hard turn makes things alot easier. FYI...
That seems to make sense indeed.

However I am puzzled that VDIM which, as opposed to a LSD, also knows about the steering input, speed, etc, would not be capable to emulate pretty well what a LSD can do.

I suppose track times at the Nurburgrin with a 2009 and a 2010 ISF will tell the story and it better be much better with the 2010 otherwise I would not understand why Lexus chose that option for the 2010 model. For my parts, I suppose it would not get me home any faster during my daily commute...
Old 09-20-09, 05:07 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by foup
That seems to make sense indeed.

However I am puzzled that VDIM which, as opposed to a LSD, also knows about the steering input, speed, etc, would not be capable to emulate pretty well what a LSD can do.

I suppose track times at the Nurburgrin with a 2009 and a 2010 ISF will tell the story and it better be much better with the 2010 otherwise I would not understand why Lexus chose that option for the 2010 model. For my parts, I suppose it would not get me home any faster during my daily commute...
I wouldn't expect it to be that significant. VDIM emulates a mechanical LSD very well for real-life situations. Keep in mind that no amount of electronic or mechanical nannies will keep you from crashing the car if you're an idiot. The VDIM's LSD emulator is fine for responsible driving, and even spirited driving. An LSD is definitely an advantage around a track but I honestly do not see how significant of a difference it can make around a twisty mountain road if one is driving with even an ounce of responsibility.
Old 09-20-09, 05:21 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

I wonder if able to retrofit the LSD how would it affect warranty? Would there still be warranty if not installed by Lexus? Also anything dealing with ECU reflash or upgrade usually voids warranty.

Last edited by ISF-88; 09-20-09 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting Mechanical Limited Slip Differential (LSD) 08-09 ISF