IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Bumper Dent and Deep Scrapes after 6 month dealer service, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 09:26 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper Dent and Deep Scrapes after 6 month dealer service, what to do

Hello,

I got my mercury metallic ISF back from the 6 month service at Serramonte Lexus. At home, I noticed an orange sized concave dent in the front bottom bumper corner. The paint was so deeply scrapped of that there is lot of black rubber exposed.

My clear armor ends at the margin of the scrape. Called the service department and am going to show them what they did to the car.

Should I have them touch the area damaged or have them redo the entire bumper and put another clear armor on? If they touch it up, I am worried that they will have to peel back the clear armor and it may fuse with the new paint. If they repaint the bumper, I'm concerned about having new clear armor fusing with the new non factory paint.

You'd figure that the dealership would respect someones 50-60 K post tax ride. I baby the car and am pissed as hell.

Any suggestions on how to fix things are welcome.

Thanks
Old 07-14-09, 09:36 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Breathe brother breathe....put down the knife. lol.

But in seriousness it really depends on how much your willing to spend and the result you want. But if you want the best of the best, getting the entire bumper redone will result in best results.

But I tend to find that repainted body parts tend to stand out from the rest of the cars finish.
Old 07-14-09, 10:15 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my bumper replaced after I got rear ended (it was a very slow accident... <5mph ) and the paint matched fine ... I would go for full bumper replacement + paint + new clear bra.

btw... I go to serramonte as well... and they put a small scratch in my rear quater panel on my first oil change.... They haven't done anything since ... (knock on wood)
Old 07-14-09, 11:17 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Get the whole bumper repainted and the clear bra replaced. You will never know the difference. Be glad it was the plastic bumper and not a metal body panel as they are the repairs that are the hardest to get right.

My 2 week old Starfire Pearl IS-F had it's rear bumper all scraped up by some a-hole parking behind me in San Francisco. I just can't believe people these days. I got an estimate for the work. $838 to remove and repaint the rear bumper, not including clear bra so I suspect yours will be in the $1K range. Don't worry soon it will be good as new.

AA

Check out this guys parking job. For the life of me I have no idea how he got a car in there EVEN with playing bumper cars with my IS-F.
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper Dent and Deep Scrapes after 6 month dealer service, what to do-img_1090.jpg  

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 07-14-09 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 11:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Get the whole bumper repainted and the clear bra replaced. You will never know the difference. Be glad it was the plastic bumper and not a metal body panel as they are the repairs that are the hardest to get right.

My 2 week old Starfire Pearl IS-F had it's rear bumper all scraped up by some a-hole parking behind me in San Francisco. I just can't believe people these days. I got an estimate for the work. $838 to remove and repaint the rear bumper, not including clear bra so I suspect yours will be in the $1K range. Don't worry soon it will be good as new.

AA

Check out this guys parking job. For the life of me I have no idea how he got a car in there EVEN with playing bumper cars with my IS-F.
Oh man, that would really make me mad. I've taken my car to the city many times, but I rarely find myself parking on the street like that...and for good reason!
Old 07-15-09, 12:13 AM
Wisdom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid

AA

Thats all bad right there
Old 07-15-09, 06:50 AM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mercurymet
Hello,

I got my mercury metallic ISF back from the 6 month service at Serramonte Lexus. At home, I noticed an orange sized concave dent in the front bottom bumper corner. The paint was so deeply scrapped of that there is lot of black rubber exposed.

My clear armor ends at the margin of the scrape. Called the service department and am going to show them what they did to the car.

Should I have them touch the area damaged or have them redo the entire bumper and put another clear armor on? If they touch it up, I am worried that they will have to peel back the clear armor and it may fuse with the new paint. If they repaint the bumper, I'm concerned about having new clear armor fusing with the new non factory paint.

You'd figure that the dealership would respect someones 50-60 K post tax ride. I baby the car and am pissed as hell.

Any suggestions on how to fix things are welcome.

Thanks
If it's a longterm dealership, they would have no issues in making good on the damage 'caused' by them. The best move would be to replace the bumper completely and of course the clear bra. Crown Lexus damaged a bumper in one of my vehicles (during their free wash) and they did not question, took it back and replaced the bumper.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-09, 07:02 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Refinish and repaint the whole thing. I had my front bumper replaced (road debris was flung at me on the freeway). The total with two coats of clear was $789.78. My wife had her front bumper repaired (hit and run) and the whole thing was refinished and repainted with two coats clear for $460.66. The paint match was excellent.

Lou
Old 07-15-09, 08:10 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice folks.

I'll see how the service manager responds to these recs tommorrow.

UCrazyKid it must have been a real scene for him to wedge his car in like that. What a royal a-hole. People like that make me want to put a trailer hitch with big *** tow ball on the ISF. But thank goodness there is the bumper bully. You should check out their site. I've got one and it works well. No rear bumper dings so far.
Old 07-16-09, 10:29 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

thats why if I park in NYC i usually take up 2 spots rather than just one
Old 07-16-09, 01:02 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jctheplaya
thats why if I park in NYC i usually take up 2 spots rather than just one
Lmao, dont make it too obvious, otherwise they will key your car in NyC, I use to be from Nyc, they are notorious out there. The trick is to make sure you leave 2 feet of space for both front and back when you park. it slims the chance of getting hit.