IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Who wants an IS-F specific Oil Cooler kit?

Old 06-25-09, 12:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Ahhhh that's the kind of oil cooler it has. I know how that works, my Subaru STI has the same exact oil cooler from the factory. They are adequate for street use but definitely don't hold up to track duty.

It would be a good idea to get some kind of gauge if one plans on doing track days, so they can properly monitor oil temp. Anything over 270* is getting pretty hot, and getting on to 300* means you should definitely cool it down before further driving. Maybe we should post up some of the gauges we have...

Anyway, it would be nice to have a bigger air/water heat exchanger for the oil cooler but as the stock system is setup it would take quite a bit of moving stuff around if the oil filter is where I think it is. On the STi the oil filter is already getting low if you use a sandwhich plate. If you were to make the cooling element bigger, or longer, to aid in oil cooling, you could be pushing the oil filter down to a dangerous height. Meaning you could risk hitting the oil filter on road debris and that would be real bad.

And air/air oil cooler is definitely the easiest and cheapest, compared to a big air/water setup. Same for intercoolers. I'll post up some pics of what we would be using for the basis of our kit.

If there is interest we'll try and make one up for you fellas.
The filter is horizontal, and the cooler is on the opposite end of the filter cartridge housing. You're not going to get a sandwich plate between the filter and the mount, we don't have a spin on filter, it's a cartridge set up. Your sandwich plate would have to either be between the OEM cooler and the mount or you'd have to remove the OEM cooler and replace it with the sandwich plate.

I really don't think it would be difficult to either replace the OEM unit with another water/oil cooler or find another higher capacity unit. There's plenty of room to increase the stack height. My only concern would be adequate coolant flow. Typically those lines are 10mm or 12mm in diameter, so flow and resident time would be likely concerns.

I'm also pretty confident (but not 100% certain) the ECM has an oil temperature parameter we could access through the OBDII port, and with the advent of datalogging devices for OBDII, we could profile oil temp along with engine load and figure out if the water part of the cooling system is the limiting factor or if the oil/water part of the system is inadequate.

One thing for sure, you'll never see temps like this in street driving. The load just isn't high enough.
Old 06-25-09, 04:00 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotcha, I haven't ever gotten that deep into an IS-F engine bay. That may complicate things a bit.

I would really need to just borrow and IS-F for an hour or two and have my fabricatior take a look at it.

BTW, we carry Defi and Autometer gauges. I would recommend the Defi gauges though, we will have a new FS thread up in the vendor section within the next couple of days.
Old 06-25-09, 06:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Here's some more info for the thread. First, the ECM is completely unaware of oil temperature, only coolant temp is monitored, so there's no OBDII data stream for oil temp. Second, I found out what each of the bars mean on the oil temperature gauge, see below:
Attached Thumbnails Who wants an IS-F specific Oil Cooler kit?-is-f-oil-temp.gif  
Old 06-25-09, 07:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Here's some more info for the thread. First, the ECM is completely unaware of oil temperature, only coolant temp is monitored, so there's no OBDII data stream for oil temp. Second, I found out what each of the bars mean on the oil temperature gauge, see below:
Great info Lance....

Looks like you were in the 266-275 F range at your HOT 102 degree track event last weekend....!!!

Joe Z
Old 06-26-09, 01:44 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
BTW, we carry Defi and Autometer gauges. I would recommend the Defi gauges though, we will have a new FS thread up in the vendor section within the next couple of days.
CoooL!

As soon as lance confirms that I can actually use it (ON my 350) I will get one.

Lance, could you double check for me, if I'll be able to read oil temp (Using the Gauge), with 350 ODBII port / or whatever I need to connect it to

Also, Can this be done for the transmission also (on the 350)?
Old 06-26-09, 05:22 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
CoooL!

As soon as lance confirms that I can actually use it (ON my 350) I will get one.

Lance, could you double check for me, if I'll be able to read oil temp (Using the Gauge), with 350 ODBII port / or whatever I need to connect it to

i think its time to cut bait and do like joe; get the F!
Old 06-26-09, 10:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by t0e
CoooL!

No OBDII for oil temp, but there is OBDII data on ATF temp. On the IS-F the oil temp is converted by the gauge ECU. I wish it were different, but it isn't. There is no engine oil temperature sensor on the 2GR-FSE at all, and the oil filter housing from the IS-F that would give you an extra port will not work on the 2GR-FSE. Your filter housing is cast as part of the upper oil pan, not bolted onto the block as it is on the F.

Sounds like you need to pony up and get the F to me...
Old 06-27-09, 08:27 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy an upgraded oil cooler. Just show us some real life testing to verify how effective it is.
Old 06-28-09, 03:08 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

sooooooooooooon guys sooooon!!!!!!!!!! maybe ! hah!
Old 09-22-10, 11:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I hate thread bumping old posts.. But this is a good question..

What happens if Engine Oil Temp or Coolant Temp Max is reached???

Do you think it would cause full engine shutdown or stall??

I'm having a hard timing understanding how this IS-F shutdown on a straight away during the filming of this show..

Video:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/batt...sf_2061223.htm

From this thread: Battle of Supercars

However, I can only imagine between the all day tests and different takes, these guys were running them HOT out there and not paying attention.

Joe Z
Old 09-23-10, 12:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I ran my car in 102 degree heat at CMP. The oil temp did max out, but part of this was the way I was using the car. Since then I've not had anything higher than 2 bars from the top, even in 100 degree heat last June.

Without knowing what was on the dash, it's really hard to say what shut him down. I really doubt it was coolant - shutting off a hot engine is a recipe for immediate disaster, so I doubt Lexus would do anything more than put it in limp mode and continue to circulate coolant until the temp came down. Nobody shuts down their engine for oil temps, and the ECM is unaware of this anyway.

The only thing I can thing of is an ignition issue - overheating the plugs will cause the engine to shut down, but this would be the result of a faulty plug.

It's also possible there is a fuel cutoff (anti-fire roll over protection) and it malfunctioned. Hard to say for sure what it was, but resetting the ECM seemed to solve it.

FWIW, yes, the IS F could still use a bigger oil cooler and a bigger transmission cooler for track duty. The Tundra with a towing package has a really nice and very large ATF cooler in it. It might be easily adaptable...
Old 09-23-10, 02:43 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Elite makes a great upgraded ATF cooler for our car. I wish there was just a way to adapt a oil cooler to the current lines!
Old 09-30-10, 11:46 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We looked into it, but there seemed to be an underwhelming response from the IS-F community, so I don't think it would be worth it for us to produce.
Old 09-30-10, 12:41 PM
elm3c
Rookie

I ran my car in 102 degree heat at CMP. The oil temp did max out, but part of this was the way I was using the car. Since then I've not had anything higher than 2 bars from the top, even in 100 degree heat last June.
Hi Lobux - can you please elaborate a bit on what you meant by the way you were using the car? Just want to see if there is something I should do on track to avoid maxing the oil temp. Thanks!
Old 09-30-10, 01:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by elm3c
Hi Lobux - can you please elaborate a bit on what you meant by the way you were using the car? Just want to see if there is something I should do on track to avoid maxing the oil temp. Thanks!
My corner speed was low and the first day when things were the worst I had the stability control on. It overworked the front brakes, so the engine was also working extra hard between the ambient heat, my slow driving, and the stability control overworking the engine. Day 2 was better, and the track weekends I've done since then have never seen the oil temps over the 5th bar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who wants an IS-F specific Oil Cooler kit?