IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

best street tire-Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

Old 02-25-19, 11:00 AM
Steviebee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very pleased with the CUP2's I've just fitted. That being said, I was impressed with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Wear was fantastic (15,000miles out of the rears!) and wet grip didn't disappoint either. I've had MPS4S on, but only the front, so hard to quantify an overall improvement over the old SS

I run AD08r on my track MINI, and again, fantastic wear rate, amazing track day grip and work on the road too. Never had them on the ISF though.

Old 02-26-19, 07:15 AM
sharjeelj
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

Summer tires are not recommended for driving below freezing temperatures as I have read online. I have recently acquired an ISF which came with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Even though its relatively cold in Toronto I do like to drive the car when the weather is clear but still below freezing temp. Is there any danger of driving on these tires since they are not recommended ? My commute is roughly 40km back and forth.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-19, 08:51 AM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through most of winter here in the midwest with my Hankook summer tires. On even half an inch of snow, these tires can get you killed. 0 traction, that being said, people do not use summer tires in that kind of weather/climate/temp, I am planning on getting new wheels here soon so I will have all seasons fitted onto those. I don't track the car, just use it to commute to work and evening classes. The only thing I would say about using summer tires in the cold climate (without ice/snow) is that you can feel them ride different, it feels as if the tires are solid instead of rubber when driving. Other than that, I have not ran into any issues with traction (without ice/snow ofc)
Old 02-26-19, 09:49 AM
sharjeelj
Driver School Candidate

Completely agree. I don't drive even when there's a chance of flurries. These tires are definitely not worth the risk. I was just concerned whether they pose any hazard if driven in clear weather but below freezing temperature.
Old 02-26-19, 12:40 PM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sharjeelj
Completely agree. I don't drive even when there's a chance of flurries. These tires are definitely not worth the risk. I was just concerned whether they pose any hazard if driven in clear weather but below freezing temperature.
to address your concern, I’ve driven on clear roads around 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Not much issues with traction, nothing that I noticed (then again I wasn’t trying to corner so who knows) but just usual local roads/highway/ramps and roundabouts and no issues.
The following users liked this post:
sharjeelj (02-28-19)