IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Earl's Solo-Bleed for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Never on any car I've put them on. It's quite a few now.
Old 03-03-14, 01:01 AM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a earl speed bleeder strip in my Hilux's caliper. Scared me. I don't like the Earl design. I like the one with the internal ball & spring.

Russell's.
http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed/import.shtml
Old 09-17-15, 12:07 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I've been thinking of using these, but I don't like that no fluid comes out. Sure, it's convenient and virtually mess-free, but I find it more convenient to get rid of fluid that has been water-saturated, to any degree.
Old 09-17-15, 03:42 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought a Mityvac fluid evacuator for this kind of work. I like that it has other uses as well, like sucking the gas out of my snowblower tank each spring.

-Mike

Amazon.com: Mityvac 7300 PneumatiVac Air-Operated Fluid Evacuator: Automotive Amazon.com: Mityvac 7300 PneumatiVac Air-Operated Fluid Evacuator: Automotive

Old 09-17-15, 07:30 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I've been thinking of using these, but I don't like that no fluid comes out. Sure, it's convenient and virtually mess-free, but I find it more convenient to get rid of fluid that has been water-saturated, to any degree.
Huh.. Please esplain..?!

I'm prepping my first brake fluid flush and been thinking about these Speed Bleeders..

Joe Z
Old 09-17-15, 09:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^This:

http://masterpowerbrakes.granthenry....eumaticvac-air

Lou
Old 09-18-15, 07:26 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I never had confidence in the solo type bleeders. I've always used A Motive Products Power Bleeder.
Old 09-18-15, 07:23 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Huh.. Please esplain..?!

I'm prepping my first brake fluid flush and been thinking about these Speed Bleeders..

Joe Z
Better to use a pump like Lou and Mike posted.
Speed bleeders are spring loaded. When you unscrew them a tiny bit, they allow for air to exit without the exit of fluid. This way you deal without the mess of bleeding the brakes.
In my opinion, I would want some fluid to exit the system, as brake fluid absorbs water over time, especially dot4. No hurt in flushing out some fluid for new fluid
Old 09-18-15, 08:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Speed bleeders are spring loaded. When you unscrew them a tiny bit, they allow for air to exit without the exit of fluid. This way you deal without the mess of bleeding the brakes.
In my opinion, I would want some fluid to exit the system, as brake fluid absorbs water over time, especially dot4. No hurt in flushing out some fluid for new fluid
Old 09-18-15, 10:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

My brake bleeding catch bottle disagrees with your analysis. There's no such thing as a gas only bleeder for brakes. They all open and allow fluid out.

Anyone using pressure to bleed brakes is dissolving air into the brake fluid unless there is an air/fluid separation piston in the system. All fluid and all solids contain gas molecules. Compressing fluids or solids only adds more gas to the system.

I used to think vacuum was great conceptually for bleeding brakes, but unfortunately there are too many seals far too willing to allow air into the system from atmospheric pressure when the seals fail to seal under vacuum. They weren't designed for vacuum, only for pressure.
Old 09-19-15, 05:57 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Funny, I was under the conception that little to no fluid leaks out as part of the design. I suppose my critique is wrong!
I still prefer the bottled vacuum-system
Old 09-21-15, 10:24 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Anyone using pressure to bleed brakes is dissolving air into the brake fluid unless there is an air/fluid separation piston in the system. All fluid and all solids contain gas molecules. Compressing fluids or solids only adds more gas to the system.

I used to think vacuum was great conceptually for bleeding brakes, but unfortunately there are too many seals far too willing to allow air into the system from atmospheric pressure when the seals fail to seal under vacuum. They weren't designed for vacuum, only for pressure.
I agree. I have used power bleeders and vacuums to flush and bleed brakes and I keep going back to the trusty old two person method flush (well one person with speed bleeders) and then I finish by letting each caliper gravity bleed. From my experience that is hands down the best pedal I've been able to achieve. It's also very simple and the most inexpensive way

-Matt M.
Old 02-01-16, 03:47 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone know whats the Erl's part number for the rear caliper bleeder screws? I ordered two sets thinking it was the same size thread as the front but in my case its not..FML
Old 02-01-16, 05:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I just did mine last week, and as Lance's first post indicated, the front and rear use the same part number. They worked beautifully for me. And again, I want to thank Lance for his great suggestion.

It's too bad Earl's site and all the reseller's sites are so far behind the times in updating their application charts. There's a lot of sales to be gained, IMHO, if their application charts were up to date.

Oh, I see by your profile that you are not an ISF owner. The ISX50 does indeed use different Earl's Solo Bleeders front and rear.

This thread seems to have your answer:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...der-is350.html

and here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...bleeder-2.html

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-01-16 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 08:14 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey man thanks for replying to my question. I'm installing ISF brake on my is350. So for some reason the rear bleeder screw has a different thread size then the front. Don't know why but thats the case.
Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I just did mine last week, and as Lance's first post indicated, the front and rear use the same part number. They worked beautifully for me. And again, I want to thank Lance for his great suggestion.

It's too bad Earl's site and all the reseller's sites are so far behind the times in updating their application charts. There's a lot of sales to be gained, IMHO, if their application charts were up to date.

Oh, I see by your profile that you are not an ISF owner. The ISX50 does indeed use different Earl's Solo Bleeders front and rear.

This thread seems to have your answer:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...der-is350.html

and here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...bleeder-2.html

Lou

Quick Reply: Earl's Solo-Bleed for IS-F