IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY Stock Intake Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 08:31 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Ive been told it loses power. When they second flap is always open it sucks in hot air. The reason it opens at a certain rpm is because youre at a higher speed with air flow thats actually cool. The guys at rr racing can confirm this
Old 08-21-16, 08:41 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
Ive been told it loses power. When they second flap is always open it sucks in hot air. The reason it opens at a certain rpm is because youre at a higher speed with air flow thats actually cool. The guys at rr racing can confirm this
hmmm.. Reading on the earlier posts, they said the car felt a bit snappier on low speed and losing on higher speeds.. The car does sound better, if you are looking for that engine "growl" which now opens up early..
Old 08-21-16, 09:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
RR Racing's intake eliminates the secondary flap.

Lou
Old 08-22-16, 04:23 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flowrider
RR Racing's intake eliminates the secondary flap.

Lou
so.. which means it's ok for that flap to remain open? it is not needed?
Old 08-22-16, 04:58 PM
SlowXIsf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i ran my car for about 3-4 months with the flap open aka diy stock intake mod. just recently changed it back to stock where it opens up at a certain rpm. i can say that from a roll there is no differences but from a "dig" it felt a little faster.
Old 08-22-16, 08:08 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SlowXIsf
i ran my car for about 3-4 months with the flap open aka diy stock intake mod. just recently changed it back to stock where it opens up at a certain rpm. i can say that from a roll there is no differences but from a "dig" it felt a little faster.
that's for your insight.. might keep this as it is for awhile.. till i get tired of the "early growl".. what made you revert back btw?
Old 08-22-16, 10:38 PM
willstroo
Driver

I just did this little mod, for $2, and i love it!

Dont know if there is a loss down low, but man I LOVE the sound with my current exhaust setup haha! LOVE IT!

There is nothing like a V8 pulling through low revs under load, so sweet :-)
Old 08-23-16, 01:55 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Rr racing intake is only beneficial if you have their intake, headers, exhaust and tune done. I dont think this mod makes power but if the noise makes you happy then happy motoring
Old 08-23-16, 02:01 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

From Rafi himself

Old 08-23-16, 03:33 PM
willstroo
Driver

So does the RR Racing intake pull air from somewhere else then..? I thought the pod style filters including the RR Racing intake got rid of the two stage intake system? All except for the Takeda that is..

Not really fussed either way about the very small (if any) power loss, it sounds like a V8 should now, i really like it! My car is tuned though so maybe its less noticeable.

It still spins tyres from the line, still pulls hard. Seems to anyway, maybe im just fanboy'ing hard on this $2 mod haha!
Old 08-23-16, 05:33 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The flap only makes a difference down low in the manners of the car. If you're full throttle and below flap-opening rpm trying to race around you're an idiot anyways.

My $.02 worth...
Old 08-23-16, 06:11 PM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
The flap only makes a difference down low in the manners of the car. If you're full throttle and below flap-opening rpm trying to race around you're an idiot anyways.

My $.02 worth...
Lol, righto then mate..
Old 08-23-16, 06:12 PM
tpham32
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sorry, but MPH trumps all. Better MPH means the engine is making more power. End of story.
IF and ONLY IF you can translate HP to the ground. You can have all the power you want, but if you don't have traction, you not going anywhere fast.
Old 08-23-16, 06:13 PM
tpham32
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by av8or
hmmm.. Reading on the earlier posts, they said the car felt a bit snappier on low speed and losing on higher speeds.. The car does sound better, if you are looking for that engine "growl" which now opens up early..
Why would it lose power on higher speeds? The flap is already open like normal...
Old 08-24-16, 01:50 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my opinion. Lexus spends millions engineering cars and they prob spent days on the intake. Leave it alone this stuff is here for a reason.

Happy heat soak!!!

Stick to intake, headers, exhaust, tune. We all know its restricted on our cars and every other car on the road.

Quick Reply: DIY Stock Intake Mod