IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My IS-F reminds me of 82 Mustang GT

Old 08-11-08, 07:22 PM
larrysb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My IS-F reminds me of 82 Mustang GT

I've finally put my finger on what car the IS-F reminds me of.

I owned a 1982 Mustang GT. For the folks that are old enough to remember the cars of the late 70's and early 80's, there was really nothing but a lot of garbage to choose from. Even cars with V8's were terribly underpowered due to smog controls not having been figured out.

The fox body Mustang was a pretty good design. Not the most visually appealing perhaps, but a very practical design with a lot of utility value and space efficiency inside.

In 1982, Ford took one of the first shots into bringing performance back to the American road and released the Mustang GT. It featured a 4-speed stick, a 5.0L HO V8 with a revised camshaft, 2 barrel carb, dual-snorkel spun aluminum air intake, some other go-fast features bolted on. The cars were only available in 3 colors, Red, Silver and Black, all with black interiors and sunroofs, produced only in limited numbers. The GT got a unique front end design with fog lights and a rear spoiler. They were for the most part, sold loaded with all options.

Ford took a gamble on the idea. It was not a sure thing back then that it would take off. Much like today, the early 80's was when gas prices had just peaked at their highest ever prices, only just now having been topped in real dollars.

I owned one, back in the day. It was like a ray of sunshine in what had been a very gloomy decade for performance cars. It was a good daily driver, a lot of fun to own.

It's funny, on the face of it, the cars themselves could not be more different. The IS-F has got huge power and sophistication that just couldn't have been done 26 years ago. There's a lot though, about the spirit of the cars and the similarity of design choices made that draw a lot of parallels to my eye.

Old 08-14-08, 08:36 PM
PHXDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Funny, I very rarely hear about anyone else that had an 82 GT. I had one as well. Red. Unlike your description, mine was Red, with red pleather interior, and no moonroof. Had the 5.0 with the 2barrel carb, 4speed SROD transmission, and the usual goodies. I also had some different wheels than what most came with, but were definitely stock. If I remember correctly, the ones in the picture you posted were considered the "trx" wheels or something similar.

Gotta love the factory slapper bars!

I have to say, that I beat the living crap out of that car, and the only thing that ever gave out on me was the water pump. Unfortunately the fan connected to the pump also took out the radiator. Punched a hole straight through! Came out about 1-2 inches in the front. That's what a very long burnout will do with an unbalanced fan.

I had a 4bbl carb, and an edelbrock performer intake put on. If you cut out the slot in the fake hood scoop, and flipped the air filter cap, you could have a makeshift cold-air-intake. That car was a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by larrysb
I've finally put my finger on what car the IS-F reminds me of.

I owned a 1982 Mustang GT. For the folks that are old enough to remember the cars of the late 70's and early 80's, there was really nothing but a lot of garbage to choose from. Even cars with V8's were terribly underpowered due to smog controls not having been figured out.

The fox body Mustang was a pretty good design. Not the most visually appealing perhaps, but a very practical design with a lot of utility value and space efficiency inside.

In 1982, Ford took one of the first shots into bringing performance back to the American road and released the Mustang GT. It featured a 4-speed stick, a 5.0L HO V8 with a revised camshaft, 2 barrel carb, dual-snorkel spun aluminum air intake, some other go-fast features bolted on. The cars were only available in 3 colors, Red, Silver and Black, all with black interiors and sunroofs, produced only in limited numbers. The GT got a unique front end design with fog lights and a rear spoiler. They were for the most part, sold loaded with all options.

Ford took a gamble on the idea. It was not a sure thing back then that it would take off. Much like today, the early 80's was when gas prices had just peaked at their highest ever prices, only just now having been topped in real dollars.

I owned one, back in the day. It was like a ray of sunshine in what had been a very gloomy decade for performance cars. It was a good daily driver, a lot of fun to own.

It's funny, on the face of it, the cars themselves could not be more different. The IS-F has got huge power and sophistication that just couldn't have been done 26 years ago. There's a lot though, about the spirit of the cars and the similarity of design choices made that draw a lot of parallels to my eye.

Old 08-15-08, 12:49 AM
larrysb
Driver

Yeah, the weird Michelin TRX wheels. 390mm as I recall.

Mine looked exactly like the one in the picture, black vinyl interior, sunroof and I had louvers.

Beat the hell out of that car and it just hung tough no matter what I did to it. I too added the 4bbl Holley and intake, but went a little further with a Motorsport cam and the factory headers from an '85 and the Motorsport exhaust system with the crossover tube. I put a clutch in it, a fuel pump, but the worst thing was the heater core. Man, it was not only a daily driver, but it was my ONLY driver! The heater core only cost like $40, but you had to remove the entire dashboard and air conditioning system to get to it. I drove it to work for about a week with no dashboard or instrument cluster in it.

I got it used, a couple of years out of high school. The silver paint had already faded and lost all the gloss from being parked at an oil refinery.

The young guys won't understand, not one bit.
Old 08-15-08, 04:28 PM
makena88
Pole Position

I remember the older fox bodies. I had a 88 Saleen, but now of these days I'm enjoying both my newer gen "New Edge" Cobra and the IS-F.

Both cars different personality, but I get the same satisfaction in either car