IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I guess it could be a story about STR-8 killing IS-f at Jeep forums soon...

Old 06-23-08, 06:34 PM
max90034
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess it could be a story about STR-8 killing IS-f at Jeep forums soon...

Was waiting on the red light today. Once it changed to green the SUV waiting next to me suddenly run away at full throttle. Then I saw that it was STR-8. Was thinking to follow for a sec but with my 5 years old daughter in a back seat and heavy traffic in front of us decided that it's not such a good idea. We both followed the same road and at some point I hoped he will stop at the red light next to me again. But he turned away. May be for better, otherwise I would have a strong temptation to race him but would have to stop myself because of my daughter in the car. Hope one day I will stop next to him again and alone...
Old 06-23-08, 06:43 PM
cynic
Driver School Candidate

And are you even sure it was not all in your head? Jeep drivers do tend to accelerate hard seeing that they are geared for it and what if he happened to coincidentally be looking away? It wasn't like he gave any formal sign to initiate any motive to race or did he?
Old 06-23-08, 06:57 PM
max90034
Rookie

Originally Posted by cynic
And are you even sure it was not all in your head? Jeep drivers do tend to accelerate hard seeing that they are geared for it and what if he happened to coincidentally be looking away? It wasn't like he gave any formal sign to initiate any motive to race or did he?
Don't know, I have not seen the driver. But he accelerated pretty fast, way faster than in any normal situation. Also he was following me to the light, so he could see my car. So I am quite certain he wanted to show me how fast his STR is.
Old 06-23-08, 07:13 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

One pulled next to me the other day but we didnt have any roo
to play. I really wanted to go. From a roll I would've dusted him. From
a dig it would be close.
Old 06-23-08, 10:44 PM
01_TraN
Driver School Candidate

pshh, people always tries to race me. especially rsx, honda/acuras, and mustangs. i usually just cruise and let them waste their gas. and plus, you had your kid in your car. even if he wanted to race you in any given condition/situation, i wouldnt race him with no doubt. i put my kids first no matter what.
Old 06-23-08, 11:13 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_TraN
pshh, people always tries to race me. especially rsx, honda/acuras, and mustangs.
I got the same problem, but you did the right thing, no reason to jeopardize your children's safety just to see who's faster They might not of even known it was an IS-F and could of just been in a hurry, I wouldn't worry to much
Old 06-24-08, 04:21 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

You guys in the IS-F have nothing to worry about with an SRT-8 Jeep. They are more of a match for the IS350. I've gone up against a few and it's been close. The day I ran my 12.8 there was a modified SRT-8 there and it was running 12.9's.
Old 06-24-08, 05:01 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Those things are real sleepers though. I almost bought one before I got my ISF. The fuel econ was way too bad. But if you check out a jeep forum you'll find guys running 11's with minor mods (nos). They are fast trucks to say the least. But you did the right thing with your daughter in the car.
Old 06-24-08, 07:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

doesnt matter you did the right thing by not racing
Old 06-24-08, 10:08 AM
BLOWZILLA
Rookie

good choice, your kids are more important...
Old 06-27-08, 08:07 AM
matt310
Rookie

Originally Posted by max90034
Was waiting on the red light today. Once it changed to green the SUV waiting next to me suddenly run away at full throttle. Then I saw that it was STR-8. Was thinking to follow for a sec but with my 5 years old daughter in a back seat and heavy traffic in front of us decided that it's not such a good idea. We both followed the same road and at some point I hoped he will stop at the red light next to me again. But he turned away. May be for better, otherwise I would have a strong temptation to race him but would have to stop myself because of my daughter in the car. Hope one day I will stop next to him again and alone...
Cheers for being smart and responsible.
I just sold my 07 Jeep SRT for an 08 RS4, after driving the C63, M3 and IS-F. I loved the Lexus but once you have AWD and all that power it's sure hard to go back, especially when you drive in 'weather.' Also it's nice having a stick again, I really missed it.

The Jeep will get the jump in all the cars I listed above. It's faster off the line than the M5, M6, non-turbo 911, ML63, and just about everything else on the road. Its launch cannot be described as anything other than explosive. However, it's a brick on wheels and that catches up to it around 100mph, right when the pack of cars it initially passed start entering their strides. This is also when the other SRT vehicles start to catch up and pass the Jeep, like the Charget and 300. Not sure about the Magnum or Challenger.

The SRT engineers are "good ol boys" and they're awesome. It's amazing how they could get the Jeep to launch like that, using Dana 44 axles and a modified prev-gen MB E-Class transmission.

We'll all be in real trouble if Chrysler green-lights the 6.4L Hemi for the next-gen, which is supposed to make around 500hp. With the gas prices and SUV sales lately, though, even niche vehicles are not selling as well so it's probably unlikely the 6.4L will see daylight. Great trucks tho, esp for $40k.

-Matt
Old 06-27-08, 09:56 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matt310
Cheers for being smart and responsible.
I just sold my 07 Jeep SRT for an 08 RS4, after driving the C63, M3 and IS-F. I loved the Lexus but once you have AWD and all that power it's sure hard to go back, especially when you drive in 'weather.' Also it's nice having a stick again, I really missed it.

The Jeep will get the jump in all the cars I listed above. It's faster off the line than the M5, M6, non-turbo 911, ML63, and just about everything else on the road. Its launch cannot be described as anything other than explosive. However, it's a brick on wheels and that catches up to it around 100mph, right when the pack of cars it initially passed start entering their strides. This is also when the other SRT vehicles start to catch up and pass the Jeep, like the Charget and 300. Not sure about the Magnum or Challenger.

The SRT engineers are "good ol boys" and they're awesome. It's amazing how they could get the Jeep to launch like that, using Dana 44 axles and a modified prev-gen MB E-Class transmission.

We'll all be in real trouble if Chrysler green-lights the 6.4L Hemi for the next-gen, which is supposed to make around 500hp. With the gas prices and SUV sales lately, though, even niche vehicles are not selling as well so it's probably unlikely the 6.4L will see daylight. Great trucks tho, esp for $40k.

-Matt
Matt,

I remember you from the Jeep SRT8 forum. I'm on their as well. The few pics of your RS4, white if I remember correctly, looked awesome. Those Jeeps are amazing and will pretty much beat anything at a red light. But yes, they are still "juiceboxes" on wheels and from a roll they wouldn't be much of a threat. If gas prices weren't through the roof I'd probably be driving one and not my IS-F. I just love fast trucks, plain and simple.

Oh and one more thing, you need AWD to drive in California "weather"? Come to Chicago, I'll redefine "weather" for you. Have fun with the RS4 and hooray to 10mpg SUV's!!!!
Old 06-30-08, 08:13 AM
matt310
Rookie

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Matt,

I remember you from the Jeep SRT8 forum. I'm on their as well. The few pics of your RS4, white if I remember correctly, looked awesome. Those Jeeps are amazing and will pretty much beat anything at a red light. But yes, they are still "juiceboxes" on wheels and from a roll they wouldn't be much of a threat. If gas prices weren't through the roof I'd probably be driving one and not my IS-F. I just love fast trucks, plain and simple.

Oh and one more thing, you need AWD to drive in California "weather"? Come to Chicago, I'll redefine "weather" for you. Have fun with the RS4 and hooray to 10mpg SUV's!!!!
Great memory man!

I'm originally from Milwaukee and went to school in Evanston so I've had a few years in Chicagoland. My family is still there and I'm actually trying to convince my brother to pick up an IS-F in the next couple weeks. He's worried about the potholes on Lake Shore Drive and in the city center - have you or others had any issues with nailing one and bending a rim (hopefully not!)

For me I love to board and ski so throwing a grippy set of snow tires on the Audi is a perfect excuse for me to get away from LA every now and then, since here in SoCal we can be 8k above sea level in a two hour drive. But you're right the weather, at least in LA, pretty much never changes.

-Matt
Old 06-30-08, 12:51 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matt310
Great memory man!

I'm originally from Milwaukee and went to school in Evanston so I've had a few years in Chicagoland. My family is still there and I'm actually trying to convince my brother to pick up an IS-F in the next couple weeks. He's worried about the potholes on Lake Shore Drive and in the city center - have you or others had any issues with nailing one and bending a rim (hopefully not!)

For me I love to board and ski so throwing a grippy set of snow tires on the Audi is a perfect excuse for me to get away from LA every now and then, since here in SoCal we can be 8k above sea level in a two hour drive. But you're right the weather, at least in LA, pretty much never changes.

-Matt
I have had no problem with my rims so far. I can't speak for everybody else though. After reading a previous thread before about the IS-F's rims and how they are tested under some serious Japanese testing methods that are the toughest in the world, I'm not quite as worried. Yeah the potholes suck, but this car can take em like any other car. Just watch out for the really nasty ones. People drive these kids of expensive cars and much more expensive ones all around the world everyday. You just have to be cautious.

I have a winter tire package in the works so this winter coming up will be my first. I got my car in early March so I experienced some bad weather and I never had any problems. And this was with the stock rims and tires, not winter tires. It's hard not to like any of the cars in this category. Whether its M3, ISF, RS4 or C63, how can you go wrong?
Old 06-30-08, 01:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

post some pics of that RS4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I guess it could be a story about STR-8 killing IS-f at Jeep forums soon...