IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Gt-r V Is-f

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LH1
The GTR is amazing. Can't wait to see it in person.
I agree and the latest crop of pics make it look awesome. I LOVE it in red.
Old 12-11-07, 06:43 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I read about the GT-R the more I like it. BUT, I don't know much about the quality of it since, it's a 1st year production model. And on top of that, I really hope they tuned the turbos so that there is VERY little lag. Personally, I would've preferred a V8 but, I'll wait until I test drive all of them.
Old 12-11-07, 08:57 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Highly doubt it. Only a few know what a GT-R is, serious car nuts, Nissan guys and kids.
The others have the "badge" credentials that some people will buy just to say "yeah, its a BMW M3". Some people buy for that reason alone.

On the road/track, yeah, they are ALL comparable. Seriously though, having gone to a Nissan dealer recently, its a far different experience than buying the other cars.

I think even with the Vette, most have their mind up on it already.
Actually many celebrities and car collectors have already placed deposits on it...
Old 12-11-07, 11:31 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by inxexisten
Actually many celebrities and car collectors have already placed deposits on it...
wait...how do you place deposits for it?...I read that Nissan won't start accepting deposit until January 2008...heh
Old 12-11-07, 11:38 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

^officially they aren't, but you know how it is with dealers..
Old 12-11-07, 03:27 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Has anyone here thought of the fact that the GT-R has an aluminum block. Though it is a fast car out of the lot, I'm not sure now it will do once it comes to modifications. Aluminum blocks have been known to do badly when under heavy boost. Aluminum blocks are usually the first type to twist under forced induction. When i think of this i look at the aftermarket aspect of the purchase. The is-F may or may not be a big hit in the aftermarket department. But I'm sure we all know that any Nissan worthy to have a "GT-R" will be. So for now I'm glad that I'm on the waiting list for my is-F.
Old 12-13-07, 08:41 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

there's gonna be a hefty markup on the gtr..i think this car will come close to $100k - $70k base price - $15k markup, and options $5k-$8k + tax / fees 11%
Old 12-13-07, 09:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Has anyone here thought of the fact that the GT-R has an aluminum block. Though it is a fast car out of the lot, I'm not sure now it will do once it comes to modifications. Aluminum blocks have been known to do badly when under heavy boost. Aluminum blocks are usually the first type to twist under forced induction. When i think of this i look at the aftermarket aspect of the purchase. The is-F may or may not be a big hit in the aftermarket department. But I'm sure we all know that any Nissan worthy to have a "GT-R" will be. So for now I'm glad that I'm on the waiting list for my is-F.
And one of the reasons Nissan put measures in place so its not modified.
Old 12-13-07, 09:39 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

coming from the good service of Lexus dealerships, it would suck to have to take your GTR to a Nissan to get serviced..I'm sure the service ain't gonna be great.
Old 12-13-07, 10:13 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

All the LSx V8's found in all C5/C6 vetts are aluminum block and heads and have no problems cranking out insane HP and torque figures. If you design it right, aluminum blocks work, and work very well. Ford still hasn't figured out how to do this, GM has.
Old 12-13-07, 10:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JasonC
coming from the good service of Lexus dealerships, it would suck to have to take your GTR to a Nissan to get serviced..I'm sure the service ain't gonna be great.
I've already predicted the influx of internet threads and postings about how bad the service is. As one that owned a Nissan, service was awful and looking at ratings the past 5 years, nothing has changed.

From my understanding certain dealers will have special training on the car and only certain mechanics will handle it (like the VW Phaeton, only a few mechanics knew how to work on the car).

This new VR is state of the art!

Its another blow to Infiniti really, that the MOST EXPENSIVE product between the two companies is NOT from the premium maker, but from Nissan. Thats like Toyota having the Land Cruiser cost more than every Lexus. It just muddies the image of the brand.
Old 12-14-07, 04:54 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

well the VQ is an Al block and afaik headlift and other issues start coming into play at higher boost levels. they just sleeve the block. so on its own i dont see the Al material to be a big negative necessarily. otoh, i have heard that the walls are very thin and that this is one of the limiting factors (so thin that sleeving may not be on the table). VQs are pushing 700whp now built. VR is rumored to be able to do 600hp. I'm not sure why Nissan would build an engine with lower potential for the gt-r, but i guess we'll just have to see what happens. One thing I HATE about nissan is that they love to modify the engine bottom end every other year.

regarding taking a nissan in for service i agree. i would imagine lexus service will be leagues better. this MUST be considered. also the cost and nature of service must be considered. the gt-r is a very serious car - tires must be sawed off, nissan wants brake pads and rotors changed together , etc. so while it may be cheap to buy, from what we've seen so far it is expensive to operate (to full spec). that won't be true of the is-f.
Old 12-14-07, 10:31 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Tekknikal;3123805]well the VQ is an Al block and afaik headlift and other issues start coming into play at higher boost levels. they just sleeve the block. so on its own i dont see the Al material to be a big negative necessarily. otoh, i have heard that the walls are very thin and that this is one of the limiting factors (so thin that sleeving may not be on the table). VQs are pushing 700whp now built. VR is rumored to be able to do 600hp. I'm not sure why Nissan would build an engine with lower potential for the gt-r, but i guess we'll just have to see what happens. One thing I HATE about nissan is that they love to modify the engine bottom end every other year.QUOTE]

I have heard of some VQ builds that end up with around 700whp. And seen a full race setup put down 2200hp. But from a street point of view i dont see the GT-R being a huge threat. The advantage of the RB26 is its amazing ability to make power easy. If thats not the case with the skyline i believe it will be a crowd pleaser, but not an overall winner. I believe the legend dies with this GT-R.

P.S. I cant wait to see the GT-R race a fast supra.
VQ < RB26 < 2JZ
Old 12-14-07, 10:52 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

I have heard of some VQ builds that end up with around 700whp. And seen a full race setup put down 2200hp. But from a street point of view i dont see the GT-R being a huge threat. The advantage of the RB26 is its amazing ability to make power easy. If thats not the case with the skyline i believe it will be a crowd pleaser, but not an overall winner. I believe the legend dies with this GT-R.

P.S. I cant wait to see the GT-R race a fast supra.
VQ < RB26 < 2JZ

you dont see the gt-r being a huge threat to what?

btw i dont think the rb26 makes huge power 'easily'. id say the 2jz does it 'easily' the rb26 requires bottom end work to make tons of power

regardless, i cant see the rb26 and 2jz being as streetable in the 500hp range as the vr.
Old 12-15-07, 10:16 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

A huge threat to the likes of cars such as the z06, Porsche turbo, supra etc.
- I say this because the skyline looks to only have a hard launch. From the numbers that are put out, the GT-R seems to fall back in relation to the competition. With the 11.7 quarter mile time, it seems to be that the skyline will be slower off a role. So off the track, on the street, i don't see it to be a big threat.

Btw, the RB26 doesn't make power as easily as a 2JZ. But for what has to go into a build, its not hard. The motor is known to make really good power with basically stock internals. But thats just what Ive seen so far at various drag meets and learning from a friend of mine that owns a tuning shop specializing in the RB26 and 2JZ blocks.

And this may be surprising, but allot of people down here in south Florida daily drive their high power cars. With proper tuning its not hard.

I just hope that the car lives up to the legend. If it does ill buy one. Thats a big task though.

Quick Reply: Gt-r V Is-f