IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

some issues I have with the IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 03:13 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some issues I have with the IS-F

If this car costs anywhere near 65k than they will have some problems selling them. Here is the deal. An IS350 does 0-60 in 5.0-5.3 seconds depending on where you read and what test runs you do. They are only quoting a 0-60 time around 4.7-4.8s. That isn't that great of improvement. Hell, you might as well not make the car if it isn't going to be vast improvement over the previous interations. Who the hell would buy this car for almost double the price of some IS350's. I paid 35,500 for mine. Why in the world would I pay 60-65k for 415hp if it isn't going to perform that much better? After modding mine out I am probably closer to 320hp now. I don't see the point of buying one unless this thing can tear up an M3 or at least hang with it pretty well.

I know this is Lexus's first dip into the performance market of cars but this will be a true test for them. If they fail at it they may go back to being a Mercedez Benz copy cat. They need some faster cars either way I am afraid. The current lineup is just too slow. Their focus on hybrids seems to be too much green and not enough go for me. There really isn't a question here for you guys to answer but if you guys would like to share your opinion feel free to.
Old 08-10-07, 04:51 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of this is going to come down to feel. They worked on much improved steering feel for 08 IS line so that should help over all.

From the people I have spoken to who have driven it I haven't heard a bad thing about the handling, it's direct, weighted, and accurate. As any BMW raver will tell you it's all about feel. Also, like anything else, Toyota as a company in general only quotes figures like "over 400 hp" or "less than 5 seconds 0-60" until much closer to launch (like a few weeks out) to prevent competition from latching onto those figures and one upping, (funny how the IS350 hit at 306 hp and next revision all the others, 3 series, G35, et all went up to 306 hp).
Old 08-10-07, 07:04 PM
is-fan
Driver

The times they quote are likely very conservative. They quoted less than 4.9 seconds 0-60. In other words, they don't want to let on exactly how fast it will be. All they basically said was that it will be faster than the IS350, but we know it will be much faster than the 4.9 seconds because it will have at least 100 exta horses and a high-tech 8-speed automatic transmission. I would say that even 4.5 seconds for 0-60 is conservative based on what we already know.

As for the price, I think Lexus will price it to sell. I think it will cost more like $55K with some options, and a fully loaded one may cost close to $60K. If they price it much higer than this, then it won't sell. I really don't think Lexus will overprice this car, but I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time!).

Regards,
Ken

Originally Posted by SilverBull
If this car costs anywhere near 65k than they will have some problems selling them. Here is the deal. An IS350 does 0-60 in 5.0-5.3 seconds depending on where you read and what test runs you do. They are only quoting a 0-60 time around 4.7-4.8s. That isn't that great of improvement. Hell, you might as well not make the car if it isn't going to be vast improvement over the previous interations. Who the hell would buy this car for almost double the price of some IS350's. I paid 35,500 for mine. Why in the world would I pay 60-65k for 415hp if it isn't going to perform that much better? After modding mine out I am probably closer to 320hp now. I don't see the point of buying one unless this thing can tear up an M3 or at least hang with it pretty well.

I know this is Lexus's first dip into the performance market of cars but this will be a true test for them. If they fail at it they may go back to being a Mercedez Benz copy cat. They need some faster cars either way I am afraid. The current lineup is just too slow. Their focus on hybrids seems to be too much green and not enough go for me. There really isn't a question here for you guys to answer but if you guys would like to share your opinion feel free to.

Last edited by is-fan; 08-11-07 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 10:39 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

1 or 2 second is still faster right?
Old 08-11-07, 11:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps we should wait and see 1) how it's priced and 2) how it performs.

Then we can have more educated conversation, because as of now it's all hypothetical.
Old 08-11-07, 01:08 PM
Realfresh
Rookie

Won't tear up the M3, but for around 60-65, wouldn't be too bad as I'm sure M3s will be selling for close to 70k. If they can sporten up the auto and work out the chassis, it has a chance.
Old 08-14-07, 12:41 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

They aren't building that many IS-Fs in the first place.

Believe me, they WILL sell every car they make.

The performance numbers aren't official and I'm sure are pessimistic.
Old 08-15-07, 08:35 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

My only problem with the IS-F is that Toyota refuses to offer it with a proper manual transmission. Call me a dinosaur because while I'm fine with my LS400 and LX470 being automatics, I won't drive a sports car or sports sedan without a clutch pedal.
Old 08-15-07, 10:02 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

I know this is Lexus's first dip into the performance market of cars but this will be a true test for them. If they fail at it they may go back to being a Mercedez Benz copy cat. They need some faster cars either way I am afraid. The current lineup is just too slow.
Hmmm, by my count Lexus has more "car" models with a 0-60 under 6 seconds, than cars on the opposite side of that. Can't exactly throw SUVs into the mix, so discount the RX, GX and the LX

LS460
GS350
GS430
GS450h
IS350
SC430

Cars not under 6 seconds
IS250
ES350

I'd say overall that's a pretty quick car lineup.
Old 08-15-07, 12:10 PM
asianfob
Rookie

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
My only problem with the IS-F is that Toyota refuses to offer it with a proper manual transmission. Call me a dinosaur because while I'm fine with my LS400 and LX470 being automatics, I won't drive a sports car or sports sedan without a clutch pedal.

So you won't drive 80% of all supercars?since most of them are dual clutch and use paddle shifters... BTW have you ever heard of a stick shifter for a 8 speed tranny?
Old 08-15-07, 12:19 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by asianfob
So you won't drive 80% of all supercars?since most of them are dual clutch and use paddle shifters... BTW have you ever heard of a stick shifter for a 8 speed tranny?
Well if there was a manual tranny it wouldn't be 8 speed
Old 08-15-07, 01:21 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by asianfob
No I wouldn't.

I'm assuming you're referring to the F1 gearbox option available for Ferrari and the E-gear option available for Lamborghini.

Please note two things:
1) In most cases these gearboxes are optional. You can still order a proper manual tranny.
2) Like the SMG box that BMW offers, these two options are not automatic transmissions like the 8 speed gearbox that Toyota/Lexus is offering. The 8-speed box that Toyota/Lexus has is still a slushbox with a torque converter.

As I said, feel free to call me a dinosaur, but I prefer the interaction of using a clutch pedal. I enjoy when I get my heel/toe shifting correct. And I don't care that the electronic version is quicker around a racetrack. I don't live on a racetrack and every clutchless manual that I've driven (including the F1 in the current F430 and the 7 speed SMG in the current M5) still jerks and bucks in traffic. They're better than they used to be but I'm not a fan.

Finally, and this is my own personal opinion, 8 speeds for a street car is overkill. Added weight, added complexity, etc. A good 6 speed manual gives the driver just about all the options he/she needs for street driving and 99% of auto-cross or track driving.
Old 08-15-07, 01:42 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

I just got back from some hot laps in the IS-F on Laguna Seca. The auto tranny will be fine. It shifts in .1 sec - not your garden variety auto box for sure. If Lexus prices the car properly against the M3 they will be very successful with it.
Old 08-15-07, 03:03 PM
BlueChippe
Driver School Candidate

The only issue I would have with the transmission concern the paddles themselves. I've test driven a fair amount of paddleshifters and a big problem I've had is whether the paddles: A.) rotate with wheel as paired with the steering column or B.) if they are stationary and are basically mounted with the dash.

As someone who enjoys spirited driving from time to time the movement of the paddles with the wheel are a MUST for me.

Any insight Velvet, or others?
Old 08-15-07, 04:10 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

The paddles move with the wheel if I remember correctly while watching the driver in the turns and holding on tight to the door handle to keep my *** in the seat.

Quick Reply: some issues I have with the IS-F