Sedan IS350 to ISC Swap Questions due to Accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 05:42 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sedan IS350 to ISC Swap Questions due to Accident

Back story....
Hey guys so an autozone truck driver rammed into my poor 07 IS350 Sedan.
Here is my car from years ago and build thread and please excuse the horrible music if you watch the youtube video...
BUILD Thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html

I never got to do a proper photoshoot on the car but had a few goodies on it.
Autozone truck driver rammed my car on 9/11/18 and its considered total loss. I got a decent check from the party at fault and have enough to get a replacement and was considering the IS350C. For me to buy back the car was only $300....
So now I have spare engine/transmission which is flawless. Air bags did NOT deploy due to apparently just missing the sensor to activate the airbags. Had a mild concussion that day and back injury. Their insurance is covering for all medicals which is great news. The impact was on the driver side front fender, bumper, shock tower, radiator support, and my lovely CF VIS hood. All my mods are in tact except the cf hood being destroyed.
I eventually might bring it back to life by piecing parts back together in 5 years or so.

I have a horrible herniated disk with a 7mm lower 2 disks displaced. My weekend car which is now my daily car is the 04 bmw z4 3.0i at the moment. Getting the IS-C would mean for me to sell the z4 since the once (no problem with harsh bumpy roads before) is now an issue due my back giving out. I also have an 07 LS460L but the problem is that it just uses way too much gas on my commutes and plan to just use that car for VIP or important guest transportation outings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to my questions now
I have a few compatibility questions if I jumped ship into a convertible IS350 2013 now...

1. I have a quad exhaust magnaflow setup I have from the is350 and was wondering how fitment issues go. Lurking on the threads you guys mentioned it wont fit due to piping. My specific question is... is it just the axleback exhaust area that has an issue on fitment? If so I may have to cut/reweld/bend or just cut the oem muffler and my current magnaflow system and just swap the mufflers. Part 2 of this question do you guys think I can still implement the quad tips onto the rear bumper in terms of fitment? Do you guys think I need to cut a bit of the rear bumper on the innards a bit to make the quads fit smoothly?

2. I have the f-sport front and rear sway bar from the sedan as well. Would this be compatible with the ISC?

3. I have the f-sport underchassis brace as well and would like to know if this might fit as well?

4. I have the f-sport intake from the sedan and if this would be compatible since the engine bay of the sedan and ISC are almost identical?

5. I also have f-sport 6 piston front and 4 piston brakes whose their manufacturer supplier is stoptech. Would that fit snugly on the ISC as a swap?

6. Anyone know any knowledge if there is any lip kits out there on the mediocre looking rear bumper to perhaps make it look more aggressive? Perhaps fit a quad exhaust in it better?

7. I have my steering wheel buttons, navigation dashboard all soldered with custom LEDs to hide the ugly green and was wondering if I could perhaps swap that into the ISC?

8. Anyone has any issues with swapping a 2012 f-sport sedan bumper into the too subtle ISC front bumper swap?

9. My sedan had a whole interior front dashboard and doors replaced due to sticky dash issues and was wondering if perhaps the front dashboard can be swapped with the ISC if the current one I am looking at has stickyness in the future as a 2013?

10. F-sport wheels 19in staggered setup would transfer over to ISC?

11. I have JIC-FLT-A2 coilovers still going strong and it has the 12kg front and 8kg rear springs on it currently. Any ideas if I can swap the coils into the ISC? Lurking around it said the ISC uses 12kg in the rear from an example Megan coilovers. Was wondering if I can get by by upgrading my rear 8kg springs to a 12kg perhaps? Just need to know if fitment wise, there is no problem as a swap

Maybe I can shoot a youtube video or something again if my back doesn't give out much doing these swaps. But it may be a fun build thread. I just need to know to your best expertise how much of my parts can be swapped over. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Also if there is any things I should avoid or maintain to upkeep the retractable top that would be great. You guys are the best as always!

Last edited by DaKi3241; 03-21-19 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 05:49 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Saved for photos...

Apparently a few things got smashed...
Driver side strut tower, fender, partly driver door, headlights. Front bumper and radiator support has been smashed. The engine and transmission is prestine. The bend only went up to the top coolant hose which is good news to have a spare 350 engine for future purposes or perhaps just rebuild in the future.

Last edited by DaKi3241; 03-21-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 09:35 PM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The rear sway bar and axle back exhaust won't fit. Everything else will swap over.
Old 03-22-19, 10:37 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Default New member now! :)

Thank you Cronus! I just went ahead with a sweet deal and just picked it up today! Took a long drive and got myself a 2013 is350C! I am officially a new member now in the ISC community coming from the sedan route!

Old 03-24-19, 06:12 PM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

welcome! and your neighborhood looks exactly like mine... South OC?
Old 03-25-19, 12:53 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ed21x
welcome! and your neighborhood looks exactly like mine... South OC?
Thank you! This was Friday I picked it up from that location! Drove it back as I am located Glendale area!
So much to do for this car like adding coils/springs, 19in fsport wheels, 6 piston front and 4 piston rear fsport bbks, sway bars and chasis brace along with a good TLC on the paint restoration and also restore all rubbers all around the Joints of the top!

Super excited!!! My IS work can be revived in this convertible!!
Old 03-25-19, 07:30 AM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 118 Posts

Congrats! Always nice to have parts being able to be swapped over. Seems like most of the parts can carry over. Sucks about the hit though...I got clipped by a Mustang (of all things) a month ago and he ran, luckily my dash cam got his plate and my insurance waived the deductible for uninsured motorist and it was just a minor bumper scuff. But I'm still driving with no rear bumper at the moment.

Eager to see how this IS350C turns out!
Old 03-25-19, 08:31 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by DaKi3241
1. I have a quad exhaust magnaflow setup I have from the is350 and was wondering how fitment issues go. Lurking on the threads you guys mentioned it wont fit due to piping. My specific question is... is it just the axleback exhaust area that has an issue on fitment? If so I may have to cut/reweld/bend or just cut the oem muffler and my current magnaflow system and just swap the mufflers.
The exhaust system is the same between the sedan and convertible up to the axle back. I'm not sure the exact fitment issues between the IS and IS C on the axle back portion, but I would suspect any competent exhaust shop should be able to get you sorted out if you're willing to modify what you have and make it work.

2. I have the f-sport front and rear sway bar from the sedan as well. Would this be compatible with the ISC?
As was said, the front bar will work, the rear is different due to floor pan differences.

3. I have the f-sport underchassis brace as well and would like to know if this might fit as well?
The IS C already has additional bracing underneath the car (I've considered trying to add some of it to my IS sedan), so it may interfere with the under brace. I don't recall seeing anyone try to install the F-Sport brace on a C, but it would be pretty easy to see if it will work if you hold it up under there.

4. I have the f-sport intake from the sedan and if this would be compatible since the engine bay of the sedan and ISC are almost identical?
The intake will work without issue.

5. I also have f-sport 6 piston front and 4 piston brakes whose their manufacturer supplier is stoptech. Would that fit snugly on the ISC as a swap?
The fronts will work fine, the rears will only work if your car was produced before November 2012. The rear knuckle and brake mounting changed on IS models produced from November 2012 onward and have different sized bolts (M10 vs. M12).

7. I have my steering wheel buttons, navigation dashboard all soldered with custom LEDs to hide the ugly green and was wondering if I could perhaps swap that into the ISC?
The steering wheel buttons would work, the navigation would not work (Gen 5 vs. Gen 7). Some of the other switches also changed location and size over the years, so in general I would say you'd need to redo these things on the IS C components.

8. Anyone has any issues with swapping a 2012 f-sport sedan bumper into the too subtle ISC front bumper swap?
The factory 2013-2015 IS C F-Sport used the same front bumper as the 2011-2013 IS F-Sport, so the swap is possible and relatively easy. You just need to order all of the pieces from an 11-13 IS or 13-15 IS C F-Sport.

9. My sedan had a whole interior front dashboard and doors replaced due to sticky dash issues and was wondering if perhaps the front dashboard can be swapped with the ISC if the current one I am looking at has stickyness in the future as a 2013?
The IS dash and door panels are different than the IS C. The dash may or may not fit, but the good news is that the 2013 IS C recently had an extended warranty (customer support program ZLZ) added to cover the dash until March 31, 2021 or 10 years from date of first use (whichever is longer, no mileage limitation).

10. F-sport wheels 19in staggered setup would transfer over to ISC?
Yes, these will swap.

11. I have JIC-FLT-A2 coilovers still going strong and it has the 12kg front and 8kg rear springs on it currently. Any ideas if I can swap the coils into the ISC? Lurking around it said the ISC uses 12kg in the rear from an example Megan coilovers. Was wondering if I can get by by upgrading my rear 8kg springs to a 12kg perhaps? Just need to know if fitment wise, there is no problem as a swap
Fitment should be okay, but as you said, you'll want to make sure the spring rates and shock valving is set correctly for the IS C.

Jeff
Old 03-27-19, 09:55 AM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeff, I'm like 99% positive the F sport brace will bolt up. Crawling under the car all the bolt points are there. I really think that brace would do wonders on these cars. You can see the chassis flex when driving up a driveway at an angle with the top down.
Old 04-04-19, 12:13 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

The fronts will work fine, the rears will only work if your car was produced before November 2012. The rear knuckle and brake mounting changed on IS models produced from November 2012 onward and have different sized bolts (M10 vs. M12).

Jeff
Thank you Jeff! Thank you so much once again for answering my questions!
I checked my sticker VIN on the driver side and it says the production date is exactly on 11/12 unfortunately. I am assuming I would fall under the non-compatible rear F-Sport bbk fitment now

I just have one final question as I am feeling super bummed about the change on the rear brake for me to fit the f-sport bbk for the rear. If you were in my shoes, how could we be able to make this still be a possibility?
Option 1.
I was wondering if possibly, my 2007 IS350 rear knuckle and oem brake components could possibly transfer over to the convertible via a swap? In doing this, would this possibly work with successfully transferring rear f-sport bbk?
I guess the concern here would be if the checklist of every arm connecting to the knuckle be exactly the same as the sedan? I really don't want to run just the fronts as I payed a hefty amount for the rear ahaha.
Option 2.
If Option 1 does not work due to the hubs being totally different with one another in terms of connecting the links and control arms, maybe source a used knuckle out there on ebay for a pre- 11/12 production is350c and possibly purchase them and fit it into this is350c to make the rear fsport bbks fit? Trying to avoid this as it would probably be costing a lot on the shipping portion.

Thank you Jeff once again for helping!
Old 04-04-19, 07:56 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

There are a few ways this could be done. You're not out of luck for sure.

Are you able to shoot me your VIN so I can double check the specifics of your car?

Jeff
Old 04-05-19, 08:57 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Hey guys! With the help of Jeff we found out that 11/12 production vehicles also fall under the same original specs as the other ISCs! Just wanted to point that out for those who might have BBK issues for their ISCs as well.

New update! I just got a really good deal and got Megan ez coilovers and rear upper camber kit! Just need to find the time to make this fit in!
Old 04-06-19, 07:30 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Daki I am about 5 miles from you. Would love to check out your mods in person
Old 04-08-19, 08:38 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Daki I am about 5 miles from you. Would love to check out your mods in person
We need to organize a car meet!
I used to go to the Friday night meets that used to meet at Alhambra/longo Lexus back years ago. After growing up and working ive been pretty busy on attending the meets unfortunately.

As for another new update, I stayed up till sunrise and with my back hurting I finally did it! I'll probably make this thread into a build thread/intro since I've been posting updates here and which is still within the topic of compatability of parts between sedan and convertible.

Here is a new update!
1. BBKs for front and rear fits perfect!
2. Megan ez coilovers with 10kg front and 12kg rear fits! This spring rate for the rear is 12kg instead of 8kg for the sedan. Fitment is the same for ISC and sedan but be aware of different spring rates which are very different!
3. Megan rear camber arms fits! This is also the same for sedan and ISC!
4. Mounted the decent condition 19in f-sport wheels on! Still playing with the height to get it perfect and then I'll get the alignment to have perfect camber in the rear at least!
Old 04-09-19, 10:32 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Looks great
my 235/35/19 front are rubbing on one side
will have to sort it out

what size fronts are you running?

I havent been to a car meet since 2007!

Quick Reply: Sedan IS350 to ISC Swap Questions due to Accident