IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Looking at buying a low mileage IS250C. What to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 09:40 PM
Vivalo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a low mileage IS250C. What to look out for?

The one I am interested in is a 2010 and has 15k miles, totally clean and was a trade in. Price is about $20k which seems reasonable. Was initially looking at a 2003 SC430 with 35k at $21k but this being newer and lower mileage seems like a better option as I want something reliable and won't depreciate like crazy (will factory warranty still apply at 7 years old but only 15k miles?).

Anyway, so I go to look at the IS250C on Monday, what should I be looking at and checking?

are the convertible models a risk? Will the roof cause issues down the road?

thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-17-17, 04:34 PM
Patek14
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are dead-set on a low mileage 250C, perform a standard PPI from a trusted mechanic. Inspect everything you can yourself, interior, paint, check all buttons, levers, etc and have the mechanic inspect the car, pull the codes, and put it on a lift. Additionally, if you are registered with Lexus, pull the VIN history on their owners website and get a full maintenance history! If things arent perfect from both your documentation research and PPI...pass!

Now here is the reality -
1. 2,000 miles per year is really low. I'd question if the car was used frequently enough, the seals may not be in the best shape
2. with ultra low mileage, was the car maintained? some maintenance items are time based, others are mileage based. I'd be worried about the excessively low mileage
3. 250Cs from that era are pure direct injection and suffer from carbon build up issues. your model was probably subject to a recall...
4. Power / weight ratio for 250Cs is a joke. The car 2.5L version IMO isnt worth buying. 350C have an acceptable power/weight ratio

$20K can get you a 2010 or 2011, reasonably low mileage 350C in good shape with no accidents, clean history, full maintenance pedigree, etc. I'd strongly accept 40-60K miles and pick up a 350C
Old 09-17-17, 09:27 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

There are 5 recalls for the 2010 IS, One of them is for the 350 engine, so it doesn't apply in this case. The other four are for the airbags, the floor mats, the windshield wipers and the fuel lines. Chances are they weren't done, but they are still valid and the dealer will do them. The factory warranty has expired, there is a time limit on it.

I am concerned about the low mileage. That is a very rare find if it is real. Check registration records, the car's mileage is recorded at registration renewal. A Carfax report would show you this if your state will not co-operate.

If the mileage is verifiable, I would not worry about the seals. The car was driven enough to keep them in good shape, with one possible exception - the air conditioning compressor.

As for the engine building up carbon, the 250 does that. People that tend to drive pedal-to-the-metal don't have that problem. The people that need a mile to get up to 30 mph have carbon problems. The 250 engine is not a performance engine but it moves the car OK. If you are a performance person or do a lot of highway driving, you won't be happy.

Being a convertible, it could have squeaks and rattles. Drive the car on a really bad, rough road and see. Mine is quiet except for cold weather. Some of the weather stripping creaks when the outside temp is below 40º F.
Old 09-19-17, 11:57 PM
axel
Rookie

Good comments already... We are the original owners of a 2012 IS350C that has about 15K miles on it, 5K of those miles came in the last year, after I sold my 2006 SC430 and the IS became my daily driver. We originally bought the IS350C for my wife who ended up traveling heavily for work and not daily driving, so it became the weekend errand running car. So there can be a legitimate reason for low mileage, but I would want to see some maintenance records.

The IS convertible and the SC430 are very different animals - the SC is much more luxury focused and the IS is more sporty (at least the IS350C). The SC430 is pretty bulletproof, but I would only look at 2006 or later with the 6 speed transmission, they are a lot more lively... I would also echo looking for an IS350C - we test drove an IS250C initially, and it was sluggish. The IS350C will move nicely, especially in sports mode, just more fun to drive than the 250. Ultimately you can't go too wrong - it is a Lexus, it will last... .
Old 11-13-17, 02:59 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I am looking at a 2012 IS250C for the wife with 7K miles.

Same miles 2012 vs 2015, price is about $10,000 difference.
Old 03-06-22, 11:52 PM
raitioneul
Driver School Candidate

Please have a look at this site if you getting help in automotive dealing visit Frankie Marrow.
Old 03-09-22, 09:17 AM
tanweerr12
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Since most of the comments already covered almost everything. Here is my experience when I bought my IS350C. Mainly things I wish i should have checked for but was too in to the car and had told the dealers to do multiple checks to make sure the car was good to go, which apparently they claimed they did but should have known better.

1. Check the stereo system. Make sure all speakers work by going in to the sound settings and moving the balance from front, to back, to left, to right, and finally to each corner to get a good idea. Don't forget to check the Bass, Treble, and Mid.
2. Check all lights to see if any bulbs are burnt from interior and exterior. i.e headlight, fog light, day time running light, blinkers, low beam lights, taillight, reverse light, emergency lights, side mirror lights, puddle lights, dome lights, etc.
3. Make sure you have all lug nuts and wheel locks on your wheels. "Yea no ****" is what you're thinking , wasn't until I got home after a 4,000 mile road trip from the dealer I noticed a wheel lock was missing and even had proof that it was the dealers fault.
4. Check for any missing clips along the wheel well or bumpers.
5. Check all climate control functions work including heated/vent seats.
6. Thoroughly inspect the convertible operation. Bring the top up and down a few times, Have it open half way and inspect the trunk.
7. Check undercarriage for any damage.

That is all I can think of since others have covered most of the stuff already.
The following users liked this post:
Tehamilton (03-18-22)
Old 03-09-22, 09:18 AM
tanweerr12
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I am looking at a 2012 IS250C for the wife with 7K miles.

Same miles 2012 vs 2015, price is about $10,000 difference.
There really isn't a difference between the two. What packages do they have?
Old 03-09-22, 08:44 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by tanweerr12
There really isn't a difference between the two. What packages do they have?
--

You do realize this original question was asked 4.5 years ago?

--
Old 03-10-22, 10:48 AM
tanweerr12
Pit Crew

I realized that AFTER I commented lmao. It was at the top of the IS-C thread so I assumed it was recent. Didn't know how to delete.
Old 03-18-22, 10:29 AM
Tehamilton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 is350c. The only problems I’ve had is the top vents blow air even if you have the control on floor. You have to turn them off manually. So if it’s cold and you have heat going to the floor the upper vents are blowing cold air. The dealer and Lexus said it was normal. Also the seat air cooler hums when it’s on. They said that’s normal also. Other than that a great car
Old 03-18-22, 10:32 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tehamilton
I have a 2011 is350c. The only problems I’ve had is the top vents blow air even if you have the control on floor. You have to turn them off manually. So if it’s cold and you have heat going to the floor the upper vents are blowing cold air. The dealer and Lexus said it was normal. Also the seat air cooler hums when it’s on. They said that’s normal also. Other than that a great car
Top vent blowing air when you have floor control is not normal. I have this problem on my RX300, it is an actuator issue. Lots of YouTube videos on how to fix, tedious, but not expensive.

Seat cooler hum is normal.
Old 03-18-22, 02:51 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I have a 2010 205c and I do not have any hum/sound when using the seat cooler. Could Lexus have added a fan after 2010?
Old 03-19-22, 03:19 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I have a 2010 205c and I do not have any hum/sound when using the seat cooler. Could Lexus have added a fan after 2010?
I don't know about the 2010 ISC. But 12-14 ISC all cooled seats have same noise. I have been in about 6 of them over the years.
Old 03-19-22, 08:30 PM
Tehamilton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus dealership said it was normal. They said they call Lexus corporate and they said it was normal. I’ll look at the videos and I may call another dealership or Lexus also. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a low mileage IS250C. What to look out for?