IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Inspecting a used IS 250 C

Old 07-10-13, 12:15 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Inspecting a used IS 250 C

Newly registered user here. I'm in the market for a 2010 IS 250 C for my wife and am ready to start looking at vehicles. If I find something that I want to make an offer on, I'll probably hire an inspection service. But what things can I check myself before paying the $175 or so for an independent inspection? From what I've read here and other sources, there seem to be few problem areas on this vehicle - some rattling noises from the roof that the dealer can fix seem to be the only issue. Any particular problems that I should look for that are unique to the IS C?

To give you an idea of my mechanical aptitude, the toughest repairs I will tackle myself (on other cars) are water pump replacement and brake pad replacement. No experience with engine or transmission internals, though I know how they work (plus those would be under six year warranty, so maybe I'm less concerned).

BTW, I'm looking at both CPOs, and non-CPOs that have a minimum of one year remaining on their factory warranty. I'm expecting to buy a low mileage car, and the car won't be driven much, so the time limit of the warranties will expire before the mileage limits are hit.
Old 07-11-13, 07:05 AM
Bleezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't have any roof rattle on my ISC.

The only thing I can think of is the carbon build up issue some of the 2010 IS250C's have. But that is covered an additional 8 years on the warranty for that potential problem. I personally don't know anyone that has a sedan or the hardtop that has had to actually do this though.

I go to the dealer for all my oil changes so they can check my car out every few months. I have yet to run into any issues on mine at all. Your wife will love it and talk about bonus points for you! LOL
Old 07-13-13, 10:59 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. As of yesterday, I've officially joined the club. The car is a 2010 IS 250 C in Smoky Granite Mica w/Alabaster interior, Navigation, Luxury Package, and chromed 18" wheels. I would actually have preferred 17" wheels for the taller tire sidewall. What can I say; I'm older, and would trade off a little sharpness in handling for a more comfortable ride. It was purchased from a Lexus dealer but not a CPO. 30k miles with just under a year remaining on the 4/50k warranty.

Paint has minor hologramming from an amateurish detail job. I'm a detailing enthusiast so sometime in the next few weeks I'll strip what's on it and hit it with some Menzerna SP4000 and then try one of the new coatings (Gtecnniq, CQuartz, OptiSeal, etc.) rather than sealant. Since I'm new to the coatings, I'm going to try it out on my daily driver first.
Old 07-13-13, 05:40 PM
SirKnight
Rookie

Nice! let us know how the detailing goes... I just finished detailing mine using the Black Box by Turtle wax and it came out pretty good but I might go over it a second time.

Pics would be nice when you get a chance! Before and after your detail if you don't mind! ;-)

Old 07-14-13, 09:03 AM
Bleezy
Lead Lap

Glad to hear you pulled the trigger! You will not regret your decision, two years later I still love mine!

Sounds like the only problem it had you can handle up on yourself. Would love to see before and after pics of the paint of course!

Enjoy your new purchase!