IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

F-Sport exhaust too loud for this convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 04:41 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F-Sport exhaust too loud for this convertible?

I've been mulling over putting on the F-sport exhaust (about the only one that's available) and while people in the sedans are split on how quiet/loud it is in their cars, I'm wondering with the top down will it be absolutely unbearable on the C? Has anyone here gotten this exhaust and installed it, and what are your thoughts on it? I already have the intake which doesn't bother me or my partner at all in terms of noise levels. Is there any way to silence this exhaust a little?

The other option I seem to have based on some of the posts here is to buy the IS Sedan's Tanabe or the Fujitsubo and have it altered by a shop to fit this car, but that seems more work than it is really worth in the end.
Old 05-21-15, 05:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider doing what I did (in my case a IS350 sedan), I test drove a used one being sold by my dealership with F-sport exhaust. I took it out on a variety of roads for 1/2 hour and drove with sunroof open and closed.
Old 05-26-15, 03:32 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've learned to live with it. It was loud & still is but not Harley Davidson motorcycle loud. Tooling around town it's moderate while cruising the freeway it dissapates some to a moderate drone. Only when you step on the exhaust does it roar.
Old 05-26-15, 09:35 AM
svelt
Driver

Yeah, it's possible for me to find an IS sedan with one to test but locating a convertible with one (there are about 3 IS-Cs for sale in my area, all stock) is very improbable. Outside of this rarely visited forum I don't think there is even a community for owners of this vehicle to connect with. I suspect the noise levels and dynamics are a little different between the four door and two door with the top down.

Does the wind screen (or other noise-reduction equipment) help with the sound any? I've got the intake on and I still find it too quiet but I worry the exhaust might be overkill; however there really aren't any options besides those for the convertible.
Old 05-26-15, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good point about possibility of different noise levels with convertible, top down.

I actually enjoy the extra sound when I have sunroof open, it's a pretty rich sound. I've had the F-Sport exhaust for over 2 years and have no regrets. But my car is used mainly as a weekend car, not as a daily driver.
Old 05-28-15, 09:37 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Fsport exhaust and love it. its only loud when you are getting on it. I hated that you couldn't even hear the stock exhaust.
GO for it.
Old 05-30-15, 04:53 PM
Gerb
Pole Position

I'm in B/C as well, can maybe show you in cabin noise. I sat in a e46 m3 convertible my god exhausts sound heavenly when your top down lol.
Old 06-01-15, 10:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Having owned 5 convertibles in the past, I think driving top-down shows a tolerance for noise in general. The wind and surrounding traffic noise level is very often quite high. My opinion is the F-Sport sound will be good with top down. It will not resonate through the cabin when the top is down.
Old 06-02-15, 09:59 AM
svelt
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Having owned 5 convertibles in the past, I think driving top-down shows a tolerance for noise in general. The wind and surrounding traffic noise level is very often quite high. My opinion is the F-Sport sound will be good with top down. It will not resonate through the cabin when the top is down.
Probably true actually. I was driving a friend's S2000. Loud as all hell with the canvas top up and under a "cruising" 3.5k rpm. Top down in the middle of the night was much more pleasant. I'm starting to think if I'm going at 80 mph on the highway I probably have more things to worry about than topless drone.

Originally Posted by Gerb
I'm in B/C as well, can maybe show you in cabin noise. I sat in a e46 m3 convertible my god exhausts sound heavenly when your top down lol.
Hey Gerb. I'd gladly take you up on your offer if you're in Van area and have the time. Youtube videos don't accurately represent noise.

Originally Posted by jgr7
I have the Fsport exhaust and love it. its only loud when you are getting on it. I hated that you couldn't even hear the stock exhaust.
GO for it.
It's actually slightly disjointed because of the intake I have. The car is dead silent until 4k RPM. Maybe the exhaust will help even out the noise.
Old 06-03-15, 12:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by svelt
Probably true actually. I was driving a friend's S2000. Loud as all hell with the canvas top up and under a "cruising" 3.5k rpm. Top down in the middle of the night was much more pleasant. I'm starting to think if I'm going at 80 mph on the highway I probably have more things to worry about than topless drone.
Good example. Top down at normal freeway speeds (65-80) in top gear, the wind and surrounding road noise will drown out most of the F-Sport exhaust sound.
Old 06-04-15, 06:13 PM
Gerb
Pole Position

Originally Posted by svelt

Hey Gerb. I'd gladly take you up on your offer if you're in Van area and have the time. Youtube videos don't accurately represent noise.

It's actually slightly disjointed because of the intake I have. The car is dead silent until 4k RPM. Maybe the exhaust will help even out the noise.
Closer to south van / 49th and knight.
Old 06-05-15, 11:42 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if you live in a hilly area or not, but with the proper throttle control you won't hear the drone.
Old 06-16-15, 01:48 PM
Phil350C
Driver School Candidate

The exhaust growls only when you hit the gas hard. It's a pleasant growl and I like it. Not overly loud. No noise to worry about while cruising down the highway. Keep in mind I'm an older guy, so if the sound is not harsh to grumpy ol' me, it should be fine for you!
Old 06-16-15, 01:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good points Phil350C. I'm also an older guy with less tolerance for rasp and bad noises. F-Sport cruising just under 80 mph is plenty quiet.
Old 12-01-17, 02:57 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Can you buy this at dealer ?

Quick Reply: F-Sport exhaust too loud for this convertible?