Smart Key Card vs Normal Smart Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 08:28 PM
FreshAir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Key Card vs Normal Smart Key

Hi all,

First off is this smart key card much easier on the pocket over the regular smart key? Then if I buy it does it eliminate the regular key of which I have two or does it supplement them? in other words can I use all three together?

This forum is a wonderful resource thanks to the teamwork and camaraderie here, Thanks for everyones help so far.
Old 08-02-12, 12:41 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart Key Card is exactly what it sounds like.. It's an actual card. Slightly thicker than a credit card in which you would most likely put it in your wallet. Once you buy the Smart Key Card you would have to get it programmed to your car. (usually done at the dealership and paying a programming fee). Once your key card is programmed, you can leave the original keys at home and use the key card by itself. HOWEVER... Smart Key Card does not have any buttons. It simply relies on the proximity sensors of your car. It will unlock your door when you walk up and touch the handle. It will lock your door when you leave and push the button. It will start your car when you are inside. BUT.. if your card runs out of batteries.. it does not come with the actual metal key to manually unlock your doors or glovebox. (metal key is purchased separately and needs to be cut).

And to answer your first question.. YES it is easier on your pockets. Hope that helps.
Old 08-02-12, 08:13 PM
FreshAir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISCjonny
Smart Key Card is exactly what it sounds like.. It's an actual card. Slightly thicker than a credit card in which you would most likely put it in your wallet. Once you buy the Smart Key Card you would have to get it programmed to your car. (usually done at the dealership and paying a programming fee). Once your key card is programmed, you can leave the original keys at home and use the key card by itself. HOWEVER... Smart Key Card does not have any buttons. It simply relies on the proximity sensors of your car. It will unlock your door when you walk up and touch the handle. It will lock your door when you leave and push the button. It will start your car when you are inside. BUT.. if your card runs out of batteries.. it does not come with the actual metal key to manually unlock your doors or glovebox. (metal key is purchased separately and needs to be cut).

And to answer your first question.. YES it is easier on your pockets. Hope that helps.
Thanks, at Sewell it looks like they have a decent price for it. I already have two normal smart keys which I like and work just fine, the problem is with my phone and keys it feels like a weight in my pocket. Do you use one,would you recommend purchasing it for everyday use?

I appreciate your info you seem to be quite knowledgable.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-03-12, 10:58 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

this does sound interesting, cause the key fobs are expensive and i only have one. plus like you said its annoying having this big ol thing in your pocket all day.
Old 08-06-12, 05:25 PM
flyguyscot
Driver School Candidate

It'll be an additional key for the car, the original 2 will continue to work. I perfer the credit card key and have never had an issue with not having the buttons. As mentioned the physical key is purchased separately, but the car will tell you when the battery in your key is getting low so you should never run out of battery power if you replace it when warned.
Old 08-09-12, 10:39 PM
umcanes123
Driver School Candidate

Seems like a cool mod. How much does one of these run?
Old 08-12-12, 12:50 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by umcanes123
Seems like a cool mod. How much does one of these run?
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2012/1860.html

plus programming fees.
Old 08-12-12, 07:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Be sure to create an account with sewell using your clublexus username to get the CL discount (which knocks the price down over $50 more)

Programming cost will depend on your dealer... it takes them about 5 minutes... most will charge 1/2 hour of labor ($50-60)... if you have a really good relationship and overpay for all your service (ie you get the "10,000 mile service for $120 instead of an oil change, which is all you actually need at 10k, for $50) you might get it done free though.
Old 08-31-12, 11:57 AM
LQCaradoc
Driver School Candidate

Question Getting the right part?

Originally Posted by ISCjonny
Just recently picked up a used 2010 IS350C and wanted to get the wallet key as well, but tried to order it through the dealer rather than Sewell. When they attempted to register it to the car it was a no go. Any suggestions on how to make sure its the right part? I know I've seen comments on FCC ID, but I don't know if I can confirm that with Sewell in advance.
Old 09-03-12, 08:08 PM
FreshAir
Driver School Candidate

I just got out of the same mess with Darrel's help from Sewell. When my dealer first encountered the not being able to program issue I asked the shop foreman to try changing he battery. He assured me he tried that, he then proceeded to reset the immobilizer and reprogramming all my keys again from scratch, thyis aylso made no difference . Finally after many emails with Darrell, whom I rate as the absolute best in customer service and knowledge( at least so far), said "seriously, change the battery and it will work". I drove down to he dealer again, new 2412 battery in hand, had the managing tech change it in front of me( which he was reluctant to do) and "voila" it programmed perfectly the first time.

Give it a try!!!
Old 09-04-12, 12:11 AM
LQCaradoc
Driver School Candidate

Default Great minds think alike.

Originally Posted by FreshAir
I just got out of the same mess with Darrel's help from Sewell. When my dealer first encountered the not being able to program issue I asked the shop foreman to try changing he battery. He assured me he tried that, he then proceeded to reset the immobilizer and reprogramming all my keys again from scratch, thyis aylso made no difference . Finally after many emails with Darrell, whom I rate as the absolute best in customer service and knowledge( at least so far), said "seriously, change the battery and it will work". I drove down to he dealer again, new 2412 battery in hand, had the managing tech change it in front of me( which he was reluctant to do) and "voila" it programmed perfectly the first time.

Give it a try!!!
That's funny. Literally my first suggestion when they said it wasn't working was change the battery. My logic, as rarely as these are sold and probably sitting on a warehouse shelf for years there's a good chance its kaput. Will probably give it another shot later as I already went ahead and returned the one they ordered in case they had the wrong part somehow.