IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

IS350-C/IS250-C - Top info

Old 10-07-11, 01:20 PM
Boudreaux
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350-C/IS250-C - Top info

To all the Lexus Hard Top Convertible owners.

Researching here, hoping to find info about the reliability, and maintenance of the convertible hard tops on the IS250C & the IS350C.

Any info out there.....Please, where do I look.....!!!

The following users liked this post:
richnucci57 (07-23-23)
Old 10-07-11, 01:51 PM
lexusmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We''ve had our IS 350C for a little over a year without any problems with the hard top. There does not seem to be any maintenance needed for lubricating any of the mechanics. It seals up tight when going through car washes. So far so good.
Old 10-07-11, 01:54 PM
brettno1
Rookie

I own a 250c and to the best of my knowledge the car is too new to have any accurate info on reliability of the top. With respect to maintenance, there is no required or even suggested maintenance in regard to the top.
The only "maintenance" I do is to put rubber conditioner on the seals that are inbetween the roof sections. The only other maintenance that could be done is to lubricate the gears but Lexus doesn't say that it's necessary.

In a nutshell, since Lexus hasn't indicated that any maintenance is necessary, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-07-11, 03:28 PM
smackman
Driver

I own 2011 IS C 250 and absolutely no problems with the top. Also We average 28 mpg and that's topless 70% of the time. Love our Lexus Convertible.
The following users liked this post:
Tehamilton (06-22-21)
Old 10-07-11, 03:37 PM
warmcaram3
Rookie

I have mine for 2 yrs now and so far no issues with the hard top
Old 10-07-11, 07:57 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by warmcaram3

^ Ditto. This December will be two years that I've had mine with no problems of any kind.
Old 10-10-11, 07:47 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my IS 350C for a little more than a year but have driven it only 3,000 kms. No issues with the top! (or anything else either!) Before purchasing I borrowned one from the dealer and took it to a high-powered pressure wash car wash - no leaks with that one either -- unlike my 2008 BMW335i cab --that leaked in the slighest rain storm--that BMW was unable to fix!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 10-11-11, 04:23 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over two years with mine. No problems with the top itself.....however I have had some problems with rattling coming from the rear package tray, and a little bit of rattling coming from what would be the b-pillars where the windows contact the top.

The b-pillar/window rattling I'm not worried about......that's normal in convertibles. The rear package tray rattle is kinda annoying though.

Last edited by mikes rx; 10-11-11 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 05:53 AM
smackman
Driver

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Over two years with mine. No problems with the top itself.....however I have had some problems with rattling coming from the rear package tray, and a little bit of rattling coming from what would be the b-pillars where the windows contact the top.

The b-pillar/window rattling I'm not worried about......that's normal in convertibles. The rear package tray rattle is kinda annoying though.
I own a 2011 IS C 250 Obsidian / Black; luxury pkg,navigation system,18" Liquid graphite Alloy wheels, etc.

What/where is this rear package tray rattle located? Just trying to figure out...
Thanks

Last edited by smackman; 10-11-11 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 03:41 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plastic pieces behind the rear headrests (ie- the rollbar covers, and the pieces that actually flip when putting the top up and down).
Old 04-27-12, 08:19 PM
warmcaram3
Rookie

Update: A few months ago, I started experiencing squeaking/rattling noises from the hard top, especially when i was backing out of the drive way, pulling up on an incline, or driving on unevenly paved roads. i finally took it in to the dealership for them to check it out. They aligned and insulated the convertible top as well as replaced the sunvisor clip- it cost about $1100. LUCKILY my car was still under warranty!!

In case you're wondering, I drive with the top up most of the time, so i doubt that the noises were caused from opening/closing the hard top frequently.

Originally Posted by warmcaram3
Old 05-16-12, 09:40 AM
MrJody
Driver School Candidate

2011 250c no problems so far. Verts rule!
Old 05-30-14, 12:20 PM
starryck
Driver School Candidate

How did you get Lexus to cover the costs?
I have had my Lexus longer but also have the extended warranty which is supposed to extend protection for 6 years, 70,000 mi. So although I had been hearing creaks from my roof, I ignored it and thought I wouldn't mind it too much. Recently it has gotten a lot worse, and it's not just when driving on uneven roads, etc, but it is constant.
Lexus responded that the warranty doesn't cover noise and they also won't cover the full cost of this issue. My car only has 43k miles, it is a 2010. I find this unacceptable as it is still a relatively new car and I think Lexus should resolve this problem.
Is yours still fine since you made the repairs? If I have to pay out of pocket to do this I want to know if it lasts.
Also my local dealer says it costs $1500.
Appreciate any advice you might have as I am thinking I might have to sell my car if this cannot be resolved effectively!!
Old 05-30-14, 10:28 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The roof rattle is a known issue that my dealer started asking me about the first service I had. I just had my roof rattle fixed as well as the drivers side gear assy in the trunk, it was making a hissing noise when it lifted to stow or put the top back up. also had the rear view mirror replaced due to a thin black line inside as well as some grainyness inside. and while they were at it I had them replace the nav screen due to the scratching from my fingers. Also had them put the right headlights in after they bubbled again, the first time they put a version of headlight that was older than the original lights that bubbled. Got my oil changed too. They had my car for two weeks and I had a 13RX450h to drive. All this cost me $73.36, the price of the oil change. No hassels at all, just did my homework and had the proper LSB numbers.
Old 07-02-14, 12:21 AM
freeflight
Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
The roof rattle is a known issue that my dealer started asking me about the first service I had. I just had my roof rattle fixed as well as the drivers side gear assy in the trunk, it was making a hissing noise when it lifted to stow or put the top back up. also had the rear view mirror replaced due to a thin black line inside as well as some grainyness inside. and while they were at it I had them replace the nav screen due to the scratching from my fingers. Also had them put the right headlights in after they bubbled again, the first time they put a version of headlight that was older than the original lights that bubbled. Got my oil changed too. They had my car for two weeks and I had a 13RX450h to drive. All this cost me $73.36, the price of the oil change. No hassels at all, just did my homework and had the proper LSB numbers.
Nice. Which dealer did you go for the repair?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350-C/IS250-C - Top info