IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

OEM Front and Rear Park Assist 2010 350C

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 12:31 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM Front and Rear Park Assist 2010 350C

Has anyone had the OEM park assist installed after purchasing their vehicle? I know this is a $500 option when buying the car, but I was wondering if any one has gotten this done after purchasing their car and what you are paying to have it done. Also, how involved is it? Is it new bumpers, or just drilled inserts? And what about the electronics? Any issues. Only interested in Lexus/Toyota OEM and not aftermarket. Thanks.
Old 04-29-10, 04:27 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Not possible.......well, probably possible, but not without a LOT of work/money.

The Park Assist option is integrated into the nav (if applicable) and the speedo cluster display (it shows up in the center where the temp is), and knowing lexus probably has it's own ecu. The setup of it is programmed into the ecu whereby it has it's own menu in the center cluster display for activating/deactivating it, as well as having a menu in the nav software to adjust settings.

Also, it appears that it's made to only turn on in certain situations. For example, when in reverse, all of the sensors are active. However, in drive, I think only the front ones are active, cause I've never had mine go off in bumper to bumper traffic.

That aside: I believe the bumper is different (it has holes dedicated for the sensors....although I guess you could drill if you wanted to). Also, to be "factory correct," the sensors would have to be painted body color.

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-29-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 05:18 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't let anyone install it. It will be a mess. To be honest the OEM system is not that usefull. Don't waste your money. Get the back-up camera rear view mirror.

Koz
Old 04-29-10, 06:19 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Has anyone had the OEM park assist installed after purchasing their vehicle? I know this is a $500 option when buying the car, but I was wondering if any one has gotten this done after purchasing their car and what you are paying to have it done. Also, how involved is it? Is it new bumpers, or just drilled inserts? And what about the electronics? Any issues. Only interested in Lexus/Toyota OEM and not aftermarket. Thanks.
What package did your vert come with? From what the dealer told me there were three packages when i purchased mine back in June 09. Nav package came with back-up camera that displays on the nav which also came with park assist.

Like Mikes said, there is a lot integrated into the vehicle when it comes to the OEM system. I would think that they would charge you quite a bit if you want it installed. GL!
Old 04-29-10, 06:34 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Koz
To be honest the OEM system is not that usefull. Don't waste your money. Get the back-up camera rear view mirror.
I respectfully disagree....depends on how you use it. For example, it's VERY useful for me due to the way I park in my garage. But my old sedan only had park assist and no nav and I found it to be more than adequate too

In terms of the camera, if you don't get the park assist for the vert than yes the camera is pretty much a must. Can't hardly see out the rear with the top up (and especially with the headrests up too)

Originally Posted by fknISC808
What package did your vert come with? From what the dealer told me there were three packages when i purchased mine back in June 09. Nav package came with back-up camera that displays on the nav which also came with park assist.
I think the southeast region got the wind deflector instead of park assist.
Old 04-29-10, 07:00 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I think the southeast region got the wind deflector instead of park assist.

Oh really? what the...screw the wind deflector! just roll the windows up. LOL
Old 04-30-10, 04:13 AM
Koz

PA is a standalone option; it is not included in any package. When I special ordered my car I was told you can not get the luxury package without getting PA (Extra $500).

Yes, if you do not have the back-up camera PA is useful for certain parking situations, like backing up to a wall/car. You have to be real careful when backing up to fences and poles or other odd objects. As far as the front of the car, the coverage is not trustworthy. There is no sensor in the middle (Front) of the car so you will not get a warning when something is getting close to the middle/front of the car.

There were to many times when I didn’t get a warning and if it weren’t for the camera or visually seeing an object I would have touched. That being said the system is very limited and in opinion and can not be trusted. For this system to be worth the cost they should have put at least one more sensor in the lower front that would pick up in center and protect the front spoiler also. To pay $500 for limited situations, in my opinion is a waste.

Now the back-up camera is amazing. I can back-up to within a fraction of an inch. The new hs250h has the perfect system, a camera in the front and back!

Koz
Old 04-30-10, 07:44 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Koz
PA is a standalone option; it is not included in any package. When I special ordered my car I was told you can not get the luxury package without getting PA (Extra $500).
Correct: the PA is an option. The "package" that I was referring too was with regard to the cookie cutter way that the regions bring cars in.

That's weird with them telling you that Lux pkg was required. I had PA on my old sedan with just the premium pkg/no nav.
Old 05-01-10, 10:18 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

I hear you all. This car is packaged decently for my wife. Since I rarely drive it, I am okay with the setup. It has the Luxury, Levinson Premium Audio, and Preferred Accessory Package, along with the 18" wheels w/all-season rubber. The wife is really into gadgets and I have the park assist on the Genesis which she thinks it is cool. I was just trying to see if anyone has added this option after the fact. The back-up camera is suffice since parallel parking is rare where we live.
Old 05-03-10, 08:34 AM
Koz

There was a member that had the Stealer install a PA system. It turned out to be a NIGHTMERE! POS aftermarket system that the sensors didn't even color match the car. Be VERY careful of what system will be installed!

Koz