IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

First Impressions: Lexus IS350 Convertible test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 04:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First Impressions: Lexus IS350 Convertible test drive...

I used to own an IS350. I now own an SC430. I have wondered how the IS350c fit in between the two models (which I will use as basis for my comparisons in this review). After test driving the IS350C earlier today at a Lexus Drive Event at Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach, many of my questions have been answered.

EXTERIOR: The IS convertible has the same quality material and paint finish as a regular IS sedan. There were 17" and 18" graphite-finish wheels available on the cars; both of which were aesthetically pleasing: not too busy and not too dull. As some may know, the sedan and convertible share the same headlights. Round fog lights were surrounded by a chrome ring, which matches the chrome within headlights. The wide LED taillights were bright and prominent, and much better designed than the IS sedan as well as the current LED taillights of the SC430. In fact, the taillights had many horizontal strips of LEDs, similar to that of the LS460.

For the most part, people have complained about the C-pillar and trunk bluge. I believe that although it may not flow as smoothly as the roofline of the sedan, it does serve important functions. One, the oddly shaped C-pillar of the IS convertible helps provide better rear-passenger headroom. And two, it allows that part of the folding roof to fit better into the trunk, as a more curvaceous panel will require more space. The trunk bulge is prominent, and is most observable right below the rear center brake light. This is common for most hardtop convertibles, but the IS' protrudes much more due to fancier mechanisms (the roof has eight motors, from what I heard) and safety sensors (more than 30 safety sensors, from what I heard).

HARDTOP: The power convertible top is quick, taking about 21 seconds to fully open/close. In comparison, the SC430 takes approximately 30 seconds. And although most soft-top convertibles can do it much faster, the hardtop is very fast.

As a safety feature, the car must be parked, the trunk lock disengaged (the button in the glove compartment), and a trunk mat must be properly placed to prevent any items in the trunk from obstructing the folding hardtop. The open/close button must be held my the driver at all times as the hardtop is stowed.

TRUNK SPACE: This surprised me. The trunk is extremely spacious with the top up; it's wide and goes deep behind the rear passenger seats, but the floor itself is a bit shallow. And although it may not be as roomy as the IS sedan, it definitely is more accessible. The trunk opening seemed wider on the convertible. However, with the top down, you are left with space for a golf bag; better than the SC430, but not by much.

Another surprise: a temporary spare tire!!! The SC430 does not have the space to supply one, but the IS convertible is able to create space for a spare. No need for expensive, rough, noisy run-flats for the IS convertible!!! This is an excellent option; it makes the IS convertible run smoother and more comfortably.

INTERIOR: Almost identical to the IS sedan, but with upgraded 6th Generation Navigation. The touch screen is the same; no nav controller like the RX (yet). All options available to the sedan is available on the convertible, with the exception of a moonroof. The driver side door panel has window control for all four windows. Unlike the SC430 which cannot roll down the rear window panels without the top being down, the IS convertible can roll all four windows up or down in any combination.

The front seats have a one-touch button that will push and fold the front seats for rear passenger access. Not very fast, but it's fully automatic. The front seats also have seat belt holders that make it convenient for grabbing the seat belts, but do impede rear passenger access when the belt is taut.

But my main joy with the interior at the (relatively) spacious back seats. Now, the SC430 basically has plush leather shelves with seat belts; the seats are nearly straight upright, with non-existent leg room. For the IS convertible, the rear seats have near identical space as the sedan. It's tight, but very sufficient. And since the convertible is a four-seater, the rear seats have a comfortable and deep bucket seat design that cradles the passengers, whereas the sedan has relatively no side bolsters. Pair that with slippery leather, and you'll find passengers gliding across the rear bench during enthusiastic turns (which happened plenty of times when I had my IS350).

ENGINE, ACCELERATION, AND GAS MILEAGE: Both the sedan and convertible share the same 2.5 and 3.5 liter engines, and tuned identically, with the same drivetrain options. I test drove the IS350 convertible, and compared to the IS350 sedan, the convertible does struggle a bit with the extra weight (the sedan is about 3400 lbs, the convertible is about 3800 lbs.)

I guesstimate that the convertible can pull 0-60 mph at about 5.8 to 6.0 seconds. Not bad, but not sedan good. It's a little sacrifice, but with the rush of air while driving top down, you "feel" as if you're going much faster.

Compared to the SC430 (which weighs about 3800 lbs also, and has similar horsepower at 288 hp), the IS350 is faster and more enthusiastic. The SC430's transmission is smooth and buttery, whereas the IS350 is (of course) aggressive and sometimes jarring. They truly do act with different demeanor.

Gas mileage on the SC430 is about 18-19 mpg combined. Coming from the sedan, I guesstimate that the IS350 convertible will probably get about 21-22 mpg. Not that big of a difference, but an efficient & powerful V6 trumps an old & heavy V8.

NOISE: Now, when you're driving a convertible, wind noise is inevitable.

However, with the top up and windows up, the cabin is very calm and quiet. Basically the same as the sedan. In fact, you cannot hear any wind noise at the articulating joints of the windshield and hardtop. With the top up and windows down, there is little "throbbing" within the cabin. From my experience between the sedan and convertible, the convertible has less cabin wind turbulence than the sedan! Another surprise that made me smile!

ROAD FEEL AND HANDLING: Another concern for most sedan owners. The extra weight and altered body weight distribution has been a topic of debate in the past few months.

Well, let me tell you: worry no more. The convertible is admittedly heavy, but the suspension has been adjusted to accommodate the extra weight. Because of this modification, the IS convertible handles just as well as the sedan! I was impressed! Cornering is confident, braking is efficient. The SC430 is very lofty and soft, with spongy initial braking; this is because the SC430 is made to cruise plushly. The IS convertible has a different mindset, offering confident handling while being comfortable at the same time.

I do have to admit that these turns were not done at racing speeds. However, most of these turns were done between 20 to 50 mph, which is what most people will do in everyday driving. Unless if you are racing your car, the IS convertible is very sufficient. Much better than the SC430, but cannot be pushed quite like the sedan.

Another thing: the IS convertible has F-Sport options available. If you really really want to make the IS-C handle exceptionally well, there will be expensive dealer-installed options that will be full covered under warranty.

PRICE: An '09 SC430 is about $70k. A similarly loaded (and in fact, the IS will have more bells and whistles) '10 IS350C will be about $50k.

For $20k less, the IS350C is an excellent bargain compared to the SC430. It may not exude the luxurious breath of the SC430 when it was released 9 years ago, but it does provide the same frivolity and enjoyment, with a lot more sport performance and handling, better rear passenger room, more trunk space, better gas mileage, and better technology.

But compared to the IS350 sedan, the IS350C does have justifiable reason to be about $7k more. The modified suspension, the modified body rigidity, the improved safety features, as well as the droptop option; all make the IS350C worth the extra premium. Convertibles may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the IS350C delivers in many ways.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION: I like the IS convertible better than my IS350 sedan.

The reason: it's the IS sedan with better options, better Navigation, and better technology; not to mention the inevitable golden tan that you'll get.

However, I still like my SC430 better. Some people have commented that SC430 owners to not cross-shop between the IS350C. Let me prove them wrong: I cross-shopped between the two cars. I love the IS350's technology, efficiency, power, and handling. But, in my case, I truly do prefer a laid-back luxury cruiser instead of an aggressive sports sedan. It may not be for everyone; but I love the plush comfort, exterior design, old-school luxury, and relative exclusivity.
Old 05-17-09, 04:47 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review
Old 05-17-09, 05:22 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for this review! I heard about the Lexus Drive some people on here were doing over the wknd w/ IS-C and HS250h.....and I was hoping for a really good review on IS-C. This was WAY better than expected......thanks for the in-depth comparisons also!
I work for TMS in Jacksonville, FL, and we are getting the IS-C from Japan on May 26th......I CANNOT WAIT!
Old 05-17-09, 06:00 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Phil, that was a first class well written review.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughs with us. I especially like your comparisions to the SC.
Old 05-17-09, 06:28 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

Phil,
I meant to ask you, did they have different colors of the IS-C there? If so, what colors did you like better than others?
Thanks!
Old 05-17-09, 06:31 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want one!
Old 05-17-09, 06:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxIS250
Phil,
I meant to ask you, did they have different colors of the IS-C there? If so, what colors did you like better than others?
Thanks!
At the event, they had black, dark blue, smokey granite, silver, and red.

The darker colors did look better. I'm never a fan of silver (it's a personal bias). The red looked most feminine. I would love to see a white one; I love white cars, but feel that it would look particularly feminine compared to darker colors.
Old 05-17-09, 06:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for the write-up Phil Yep, I agree this car only looks good in black/dark colors, although the red one in the commercials look nice too ...
Old 05-17-09, 07:07 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

Phil.....sounds good! Yeah, I am looking at the Obsidian black as my color for one.....I saw someone posted a pict of it on here w/ F-Sport accy's.....but only w/ the top off, I wanted to see black w/ the top on. The ship from Japan can't get here soon enough to Jacksonville! I had the white Starfire Pearl in my previous ride - 08 IS250, and really liked the color a lot. But like you both said, I think you gotta stay w/ a dark color !

Goj - Yeah, the red looked really good in the commercials, and almost had an orangish tint to it in certain parts of the commercial. Definitely think dark colors are the way to go.
Old 05-17-09, 07:08 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

I am thinking the Obsidian black w/ G-Spider wheel, lowered w/ F-Sport springs, and exhaust.....I think the IS-C looks great lowered.
Old 05-17-09, 08:09 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hm, It would make a great graduation present!
I want that tan!
Old 05-17-09, 10:48 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

awesome and well written review.. your review makes me want to test drive the car tomorrrow..
Old 05-18-09, 08:00 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review, but where are the pics? I'm a visual kind of guy.
Old 05-18-09, 08:47 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow 6th gen nav WITH touchscreen...

i wonder if the 2010 ISx50's will be updated also...so jealous! haha

i would assume so since the 06 GS's had the 4th gen and in 07 they were updated to the 5th gen
Old 05-18-09, 09:08 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

no pixs???

Quick Reply: First Impressions: Lexus IS350 Convertible test drive...