Manual shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 07:57 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Manual shifting

I live on a top of a hill so I use gear 1 and 2 in morning to go down the hill

when I reverse out of garage and put it to manual mode, the display shows “4” as in 4th gear

then I use the paddles to make it go to “1” then I start the driving

1) is something wrong with my display?

2) why does it go to 4th gear ?

3) is it in first gear but display shows 4th?

Thanks
Old 04-18-18, 12:45 PM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So that's not really a manual mode. its a "sport" mode but all it does is limit the gearing. So you slide it over and is says 4. That means it will shift up to 4th gear. When you paddle down to 1st is will limit it to just first gear.

If you tap the display button on the steering wheel you'll eventually get a screen that will give you the actual gear you're in.

It's dumb. I don't know why Toyota thought this was a good idea. It's one of the things most people hope the tuning community can change.
Old 04-18-18, 12:48 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cronus1995
So that's not really a manual mode. its a "sport" mode but all it does is limit the gearing. So you slide it over and is says 4. That means it will shift up to 4th gear. When you paddle down to 1st is will limit it to just first gear.

If you tap the display button on the steering wheel you'll eventually get a screen that will give you the actual gear you're in.

It's dumb. I don't know why Toyota thought this was a good idea. It's one of the things most people hope the tuning community can change.
Appreciate it. Didn't realize that.

So it sounds like after I put it the shifter over, I need to double tap down twice, to get it to 2, so it can hold it there. Ugh, annoying.
Old 07-05-18, 12:18 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

The new 8 speed transmissions use "m" manual mode and the 6 speed transmissions uses "s" sport mode. The sport mode chooses the best gear for what your foot is doing and limits the top gear to wear you set it. It is basically a gear limiter. No real need to shift. On the other hand, the 8 speed transmissiion Manual mode "m" is whatever gear it is in until you decide to change it.
Old 08-04-18, 01:43 AM
SlenderKen
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Appreciate it. Didn't realize that.

So it sounds like after I put it the shifter over, I need to double tap down twice, to get it to 2, so it can hold it there. Ugh, annoying.
I agree it is kind of annoying to do haha. It always starts in 4th gear when going to S mode and that mode basically selects the highest gear that your car will be in.

I believe you can alternatively just hit the paddle shifter down while in D to shift to the next gear down so you can be in 2nd or 3rd gear (skipping 4th). And then when you come to a complete stop, you basically go back to the automatic shifting that D typically does. Hope that helps!
Old 08-04-18, 09:37 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SlenderKen
I agree it is kind of annoying to do haha. It always starts in 4th gear when going to S mode and that mode basically selects the highest gear that your car will be in.

I believe you can alternatively just hit the paddle shifter down while in D to shift to the next gear down so you can be in 2nd or 3rd gear (skipping 4th). And then when you come to a complete stop, you basically go back to the automatic shifting that D typically does. Hope that helps!
thanks

I am starting the car in morning in S, so it shows 4th

then an I use paddle to get it to 2.

Then i I make my 2 mile drive to the highway