IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anybody have the answer to remote start via key fob WITHOUT a subscription to Enform?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-21, 09:35 AM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody have the answer to remote start via key fob WITHOUT a subscription to Enform?

I posted in the maintenance forum as well, but I thought I’d take a crack in this one. My wife has a 2015 IS250 AWD w/ navigation and premium package. I’ve tried the 3 clicks of the lock button to remote start via the key fob and no dice.
Strange thing is, my 2016 RX450H does remote start via the key fob. I have NO subscription to Enform, never have. I didn’t even buy my RX at a Lexus dealership.
Why would mine work, and not hers?
Old 01-05-21, 10:29 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

The 3 press Lock button method of remote starting the vehicle is based on the vehicle having the remote start equipment physically installed in the vehicle.
At that point it is purely a function between the vehicle and key fob.
Likely the original owner/purchaser of the RX had it installed at the dealer...to which the dealer should have placed a sticker on the driver and passenger door window glass...usually at the back of the glass at the bottom...straight up from the door handles.
The stickers should be there...but as they are only stickers, they could have not been installed or removed...especially if the glass has aftermarket tint.

As for the Enform I have nothing really to offer as I'm in Canada and Lexus/IS never got Enform...actually only a few vehicles have it now for the last couple years.
As far as I'm aware, without the Enform you cannot remote start the vehicle, unless you have a physical remote starter unit installed...which I'm not sure they ever had for IS...at least they didn't in Canada.
Old 01-05-21, 10:42 AM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The 3 press Lock button method of remote starting the vehicle is based on the vehicle having the remote start equipment physically installed in the vehicle.
At that point it is purely a function between the vehicle and key fob.
Likely the original owner/purchaser of the RX had it installed at the dealer...to which the dealer should have placed a sticker on the driver and passenger door window glass...usually at the back of the glass at the bottom...straight up from the door handles.
The stickers should be there...but as they are only stickers, they could have not been installed or removed...especially if the glass has aftermarket tint.

As for the Enform I have nothing really to offer as I'm in Canada and Lexus/IS never got Enform...actually only a few vehicles have it now for the last couple years.
As far as I'm aware, without the Enform you cannot remote start the vehicle, unless you have a physical remote starter unit installed...which I'm not sure they ever had for IS...at least they didn't in Canada.
Interesting, I’ll have to look for that sticker. My wife’s 2015 IS has Enform on it, but we don’t subscribe. So it has to have the remote start capability. It’s strange because I’ve read about people who could remote start via the key fob with a subscription, but stops after subscription canceled. Then I’ve read about people like mine who never had a subscription but can remote start no problem.
This is just a strange mystery. Lol!! I’d call the Lexus dealership, but they’ll probably tell me I need Enform.
Old 01-05-21, 10:49 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

My 2014 Highlander has the Toyota Remote Starter physically installed...it uses the 3 Lock press method to start it.
Toyota doesn't have Enform or any other subscription type service.

I'm not sure all the details of the Enform, but maybe it's possible you can use the remote to start the vehicle.
As the Enform start feature works via cellular service, it's possible the vehicle could disable the key fob remote start function when it realizes the subscription to Enform has ended too.
Old 01-05-21, 11:29 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

Car has the option but I think Lexus / Enform service, when you unsubscribe, alter something in the ECU to remove the functionality.. it's actually really messed up.. Idk why they would do that.. forcing you to get a subscription.. on top of that, Enform is run by Verizon network.. not sure if Lexus even gets any benefit from it. This Winter I chose not to get it
Old 01-05-21, 03:34 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

My 2014 Highlander has the Toyota Remote Starter physically installed...it uses the 3 Lock press method to start it.
Toyota doesn't have Enform or any other subscription type service.

I'm not sure all the details of the Enform, but maybe it's possible you can use the remote to start the vehicle.
As the Enform start feature works via cellular service, it's possible the vehicle could disable the key fob remote start function when it realizes the subscription to Enform has ended too.
Exactly what I was thinking, although my 16’ RX has no subscription and mine still remote starts.
Old 01-05-21, 03:37 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swaangin
Car has the option but I think Lexus / Enform service, when you unsubscribe, alter something in the ECU to remove the functionality.. it's actually really messed up.. Idk why they would do that.. forcing you to get a subscription.. on top of that, Enform is run by Verizon network.. not sure if Lexus even gets any benefit from it. This Winter I chose not to get it
Yeah it’s super messed up that you gotta pay for it. Weird thing is, I’ve seen it with not just my 16’ RX, but with others that don’t have the paid subscription and the remote start works.
Old 01-05-21, 03:54 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon323
Yeah it’s super messed up that you gotta pay for it. Weird thing is, I’ve seen it with not just my 16’ RX, but with others that don’t have the paid subscription and the remote start works.
My dealership "installs" the key fob feature (where you can use OEM keyfob and click 3 times) for $300 + tax... lmao.. I know they're not doing any installing, it's literally robbery
The following users liked this post:
Nxplicable (01-09-23)
Old 01-05-21, 07:13 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

I'll give a useable answer here,

Get the dball3 remote start setup, it utilizes the oem key fob and you can do the remote start with it via 3 clicks of the lock button.

I have had it on my prior LS and the lady's IS - zero issues.

Parts are like $50 and wiring it up takes under an hour.
Old 01-05-21, 08:07 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Damon323
Exactly what I was thinking, although my 16’ RX has no subscription and mine still remote starts.
It likely has the physical remote start from Lexus installed (part number PT398-53141 for the 2014 IS250 without Navi) just like my 2014 Highlander...or it's an aftermarket remote starter that uses the 3 press Lock button method. Here is a video from 12V Solutions with their remote start for a 2016-2018 RX350:
You will note at the start of the video that to start the car it's 3 presses of the Lock button on the factory fob.
The only notable difference is that the Toyota one you have to hold the Lock button on the 3rd press for a couple seconds...the 12V Solutions one is just 3 normal presses of the Lock button.
Here is another video of the CSI remote start, which functions the same as the 12V Solutions one:
Toyota/Lexus have had remote starters for years...not subscription based remote start, but actual physical units that are physically install into the vehicle.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 01-05-21 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-05-21, 08:16 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I'll give a useable answer here,

Get the dball3 remote start setup, it utilizes the oem key fob and you can do the remote start with it via 3 clicks of the lock button.

I have had it on my prior LS and the lady's IS - zero issues.

Parts are like $50 and wiring it up takes under an hour.
@tofuprod Do you have a link to the IS one? Google isn't being much help.
Old 01-06-21, 04:52 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I just installed the 12Volt Solutions remote starter on the 3IS a few weeks ago and it works great with 3 clicks of the lock button. Here is a link to the one I purchased (i purchased during Black Friday sale... normal price seems a bit high):

https://www.12volt.solutions/product...32076308250727

They also offer long range remotes and an app but I did not feel they were worth it. Very simple install, all plug and play (no wire splicing or cutting) and the hardest part was removing interior trim.
Feel free to PM me any questions or ask here and I can go more in depth.
Old 01-06-21, 06:19 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

@tofuprod Do you have a link to the IS one? Google isn't being much help.
https://www.directechs.com/VehicleCo...VehicleID=9759
Old 01-06-21, 07:10 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 263 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSnow
I just installed the 12Volt Solutions remote starter on the 3IS a few weeks ago and it works great with 3 clicks of the lock button. Here is a link to the one I purchased (i purchased during Black Friday sale... normal price seems a bit high):

https://www.12volt.solutions/product...32076308250727

They also offer long range remotes and an app but I did not feel they were worth it. Very simple install, all plug and play (no wire splicing or cutting) and the hardest part was removing interior trim.
Feel free to PM me any questions or ask here and I can go more in depth.
Interesting. Anyone else familiar with this one and been running it for a while?

I saw a different brand on Amazon but there were a few reviews that stated a) the kit stopped working after roughly 2 weeks, or b) one person said their kit came with a label that said it had to be installed and activated by the dealer, so he returned it.
Old 07-03-21, 08:15 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 263 Likes on 124 Posts

The good: Finally installed a remote start kit. Was actually pretty easy, and it works great.

The bad: Steering wheel now rubs the plastic behind it. I took the plastic shroud off 3 times to line it back up - the spaces around both stalks are even, so it looks straight and good. But still, the lower portion of the shroud is clearly getting rubbed by the steering wheel. My few car buddies are out of town for the weekend, so I'm on my own trying to fix this.

Anyone else had this issue?

EDIT:

FIXED!!! Got up early this morning and took the entire driver's side section apart, took my time, and got everything lined up properly. No more rubbing. *insert super silly happy dance here

Last edited by Racer00J; 07-04-21 at 04:58 AM.