ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   can not do 2014 3IS RWD Transmission fluid flush. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/922523-can-not-do-2014-3is-rwd-transmission-fluid-flush.html)

812bf3 07-09-19 08:22 AM

can not do 2014 3IS RWD Transmission fluid flush.

To all who has this model year, have you have your trany's fluid flush by the dealer?

I got mine to a Toyota dealer for the flush(Lexus dealer is too far from me). I specifically requested for a full flush and the service guy told me that they have the machine and can do the flush. I stayed and watched and all they did was a drain & fill. Once the tech finished with his job, I approached the service guy at the desk and asked why was it just a drained & filled job, he told me that, on this vehicle, there was no hose to the radiator and there for they can not do a flush. He also mentioned that he did check their techstream software to confirm that there is no flush for this vehicle.

Can anyone confirm this? I am pissed that they went ahead and drain & fill without notifying me first that a flush is not doable.

AtomicAWD 07-09-19 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 812bf3 (Post 10560817)
To all who has this model year, have you have your trany's fluid flush by the dealer?

I got mine to a Toyota dealer for the flush(Lexus dealer is too far from me). I specifically requested for a full flush and the service guy told me that they have the machine and can do the flush. I stayed and watched and all they did was a drain & fill. Once the tech finished with his job, I approached the service guy at the desk and asked why was it just a drained & filled job, he told me that, on this vehicle, there was no hose to the radiator and there for they can not do a flush. He also mentioned that he did check their techstream software to confirm that there is no flush for this vehicle.

Can anyone confirm this? I am pissed that they went ahead and drain & fill without notifying me first that a flush is not doable.

Sure hope they didn't charge for a flush! Dealers here want nearly $300 for it. Another shop I went to said they do a drain and fill, then run it on the hoist for a bit, then do it again.

Sasnuke 07-09-19 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 812bf3 (Post 10560817)

The tranny cooler is on the side of the tranny, so there's no lines running to the rad like some other vehicles...so no place to T in the flush mahcine.
A typical flush machine likely won't be able to flush it.
It would be nice if someone made adapters that could attach to the drain and to the fill ports...of course you'd still need to add almost 3L when the flush is done cause that's about how much you'd lose taking out he drain plug.
Nothing is impossible...just no one has made the machine to do it yet...at least I haven't discovered the machine yet.

E46CT 07-09-19 08:51 AM

Don't use the word flush. This is one of the terrible things all the car guys in the past 20 years are saying. I will write an article on this. ive been meaning to.

The key question to ask and the phrase to say is "Fluid replacement." Flush implies all sorts of weird possibilities and means nothing.

The end goal if any fluid service of any car is FLUID REPLACEMENT.

And yes any car can have all its fluids replaced, always, at any time. And it's a great idea.

Different dealers though may have different policies as to exactly how they go about this service. some might use a machine that allows continuous flow of fluid in and out. which would replace all fluids. some drop the pan and refill and new filter.

So it comes down to being SPECIFIC as to what you want vs. what the dealer is willing to provide.

Don't ever be loose with your language when you pay for a service. stand there, stomp your feet and get particular information on specifically what you want and what is being performed.

Specific. Do not leave until you have specific language.

Sasnuke 07-09-19 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10560850)
Don't use the word flush. This is one of the terrible things all the car guys in the past 20 years are saying. I will write an article on this. ive been meaning to.

The key question to ask and the phrase to say is "Fluid replacement." Flush implies all sorts of weird possibilities and means nothing.

The end goal if any fluid service of any car is FLUID REPLACEMENT.

And yes any car can have all its fluids replaced, always, at any time. And it's a great idea.

Different dealers though may have different policies as to exactly how they go about this service. some might use a machine that allows continuous flow of fluid in and out. which would replace all fluids. some drop the pan and refill and new filter.

So it comes down to being SPECIFIC as to what you want vs. what the dealer is willing to provide.

Don't ever be loose with your language when you pay for a service. stand there, stomp your feet and get particular information on specifically what you want and what is being performed.

Specific. Do not leave until you have specific language.

So that was a lesson in semantics that didn't actually answer the question.

812bf3 07-09-19 09:04 AM

Thank you for all your quick replies. Now at least what they told me is true that they can not do the full fluid replacement. Still pissed that they did not inform me prior to just drain and fill. At least I made sure they did not charge me for a flush but a drain & fill. They knew I was pissed so they did give me a small water-proof Bluetooth speaker as a courtesy for that. They charged for parts/labor $85.98 CAN.

Sasnuke 07-09-19 09:12 AM

I would agree that they should have told you prior to doing any work that the flush wasn't possible, and that they could do a drain and fill instead.
At least you would have the option of saying no, or to inquire with additional questions as to cost and the difference.

AtomicAWD 07-09-19 09:27 AM

Did they do a single drain-and-fill, and if so how much fluid?

ALLBLCK604 07-09-19 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 812bf3 (Post 10560865)
Thank you for all your quick replies. Now at least what they told me is true that they can not do the full fluid replacement. Still pissed that they did not inform me prior to just drain and fill. At least I made sure they did not charge me for a flush but a drain & fill. They knew I was pissed so they did give me a small water-proof Bluetooth speaker as a courtesy for that. They charged for parts/labor $85.98 CAN.

This is how much I paid at the Toyota dealership. Noticed a huge difference once the fluid was changed. I got it done at 100k as per manual. Wish I did it earlier. Always good to do fluids early specially if you drive hard.

If you really want you could do a second drain and fill if you don’t think enough was exchanged.

812bf3 07-09-19 10:17 AM

They did a single drain/fill. I am not sure how much fluid was drained as I could not see clearly at the time. They did indicate 4 bottles of 1L on the invoice and charged 32.48 for the oil.

812bf3 07-09-19 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ALLBLCK604 (Post 10560933)
This is how much I paid at the Toyota dealership. Noticed a huge difference once the fluid was changed. I got it done at 100k as per manual. Wish I did it earlier. Always good to do fluids early specially if you drive hard.

If you really want you could do a second drain and fill if you don’t think enough was exchanged.

Yes, it seems to shift a little smoother and mine is at 148k kms.

JNP1227 07-09-19 10:55 AM

You guys are lucky that toyota or lexus is even willing to do this service. All the Lexus dealers and Toyota dealers wont touch my transmission due to it being "lifetime fluid"

Sasnuke 07-09-19 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 812bf3 (Post 10560940)
Yes, it seems to shift a little smoother and mine is at 148k kms.

Since you seem to drive a lot, I would recommend changing it again in a year, and then one more time a year after that.
The drain and fill will only get a little over a third of the fluid out...so realistically your fluid right now looks just as dirty as before it got changed. That's just the reality of it.
The properties of the oil have obviously been improved as the new fluid is in there, but there is more old fluid in the tranny than new fluid right now.

Your original idea of getting a flush was a good one as usually it's more than an 85% exchange of fluid...you can never get everything out.

RageRacerM 07-10-19 10:02 AM

Im with JNP. Multiple Lexus Dealerships wont touch my transmission. My current service advisor even showed me an e-mail for corporate stating not to do a single thing until 100k miles, at which point they would only inspect...

ALLBLCK604 07-10-19 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RageRacerM (Post 10561834)
Im with JNP. Multiple Lexus Dealerships wont touch my transmission. My current service advisor even showed me an e-mail for corporate stating not to do a single thing until 100k miles, at which point they would only inspect...

Damn.. that’s just hurting your poor trans. I would definitely try to go somewhere that will do it. Specially if you use the paddles and drive hard. If that’s the case you 100% are wearing out that trans fluid, faster than normal too.