IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

can not do 2014 3IS RWD Transmission fluid flush.

Old 07-11-19, 06:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Yea I meant cold like ambient temp, fluid level drain plug only is accurate when the fluids between 40-45 degrees Celsius, any hotter and the tranny will be under filled because more will come out the fill plug. Where ever u go make sure they 100% understand the job because usually what happens is they check trans temp when it’s to hot, they see a bunch of fluid come out the drain straw and think “nice it was overfilled slightly now it’s good” when really it’s under filled now because they checked to hot, fluid expanded and more drained than what should have. Lexus has a TSB saying so many trannys were getting underfilled and only to do it at Lexus because independents were checking the fluid level at wrong temp.
To check the fluid properly you would need the Techstream.
The fluid can be replaced smoking hot or stone cold...it's all in the checking procedure at the end to set the fluid level.
I'd prefer the fluid hot to get more of it out on the drain and fill.
Doing it when it's cold because you don't have the Techstream is only a guestimate. It's possible to get the level correct, or close enough...but I'd prefer it to be exact.
I can appreciate the independent tech saying it's best to do it cold, cause if he doesn't have a Techstream, how else is he going to set the fluid level even remotely close.
He probably doesn't know there is a manual way of properly checking the fluid level without the Techstream...it's a lot longer and more complicated process...unless you've done it a bunch of times.
Old 07-11-19, 07:13 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
To check the fluid properly you would need the Techstream.
The fluid can be replaced smoking hot or stone cold...it's all in the checking procedure at the end to set the fluid level.
I'd prefer the fluid hot to get more of it out on the drain and fill.
Doing it when it's cold because you don't have the Techstream is only a guestimate. It's possible to get the level correct, or close enough...but I'd prefer it to be exact.
I can appreciate the independent tech saying it's best to do it cold, cause if he doesn't have a Techstream, how else is he going to set the fluid level even remotely close.
He probably doesn't know there is a manual way of properly checking the fluid level without the Techstream...it's a lot longer and more complicated process...unless you've done it a bunch of times.
You don’t need techstream. Any OBD2 scanner displaying transmission fluid temp works. Check this video out, it’s about fluid change on that tranny. Toyota even patented a special tool for checking the fluid level when it’s hot if you can’t wait till it cools and because so many ppl check fluid at wrong temp. If fluid temps are over 45 degrees Celsius the overflow straw that drips the excess fluid will start dripping more than it’s suppose to because fluid has expanded to hot and you’ll under fill.

This is the single most thorough video in changing Toyota sealed transmissions on YouTube.
click the 22:30 mark.... he has to use the special Toyota tool because the car he’s working on is hotter than what Toyota says to check it at. Basically you have to be between 40-45 degrees Celsius to check fluid level accurately OR buy this special tool that goes into the overflow hole to compensate for higher temps.
for those that don’t have time to wait for tranny to cool down. When you pull into the mechanic shop your granny temp is around 185 Fahrenheit which is about 85 degrees Celsius which is 2x hotter than what Toyota says to check fluid level at. At that point you will A) wait till it cools down to 40-45 degrees Celsius for an accurate level check or B) use this special patented Toyota tool to insert into the overflow hole to compensate for the extra fluid expansion from hotter temps.
Old 07-11-19, 08:41 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

You don’t need techstream. Any OBD2 scanner displaying transmission fluid temp works. Check this video out, it’s about fluid change on that tranny. Toyota even patented a special tool for checking the fluid level when it’s hot if you can’t wait till it cools and because so many ppl check fluid at wrong temp. If fluid temps are over 45 degrees Celsius the overflow straw that drips the excess fluid will start dripping more than it’s suppose to because fluid has expanded to hot and you’ll under fill.
Technically you are correct...you don't need a Techstream to check it...as I mentioned there is a manual procedure in the repair manual...and really all you're using Techstream for is to jump terminals TC and E1 (this forces the engine to base idle) and to display the Tranny temp.
The common cheapy OBDII scanners that you find at Crappy Tire don't show live data (i.e. Tranny temp.), so you either spend a little more for a better scanner (and remember to jump TC and E1) or even a little more and get the Techstream software and a cable.
For those readers that don't know, Techstream is software, not a tool. Dealers have it installed on Panasonic Toughbooks, cause they are durable for the shop environment...but bloody expensive...they can literally take a bullet and keep on functioning.
But realistically if you have a half decent laptop, you can get a cable and the Techstream software, and viola! I run mine off an Acer Netbook which is ancient...but I only use it for that purpose, so it actually runs pretty good.
There is a temp range which is used to set the level, and the temp range is actually different for the 250, 300/350, and 200t. 45C can be used for two of those three engines as the tranny fluid set temp...the 250 is a little lower.
And if the temp can be seen an a better OBDII scanner, makes you wonder why that ex-Toyota tech independent mechanic doesn't have one at his shop...you'd think it would be a basic tool you'd find at a repair shop...just sayin' lol
My neighbor has a shop and has all the software for German, Japanese, and Domestic cars...but that's him and I don't expect every shop to be like that...certainly it's not the norm.
Old 07-11-19, 09:09 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Technically you are correct...you don't need a Techstream to check it...as I mentioned there is a manual procedure in the repair manual...and really all you're using Techstream for is to jump terminals TC and E1 (this forces the engine to base idle) and to display the Tranny temp.
The common cheapy OBDII scanners that you find at Crappy Tire don't show live data (i.e. Tranny temp.), so you either spend a little more for a better scanner (and remember to jump TC and E1) or even a little more and get the Techstream software and a cable.
For those readers that don't know, Techstream is software, not a tool. Dealers have it installed on Panasonic Toughbooks, cause they are durable for the shop environment...but bloody expensive...they can literally take a bullet and keep on functioning.
But realistically if you have a half decent laptop, you can get a cable and the Techstream software, and viola! I run mine off an Acer Netbook which is ancient...but I only use it for that purpose, so it actually runs pretty good.
There is a temp range which is used to set the level, and the temp range is actually different for the 250, 300/350, and 200t. 45C can be used for two of those three engines as the tranny fluid set temp...the 250 is a little lower.
And if the temp can be seen an a better OBDII scanner, makes you wonder why that ex-Toyota tech independent mechanic doesn't have one at his shop...you'd think it would be a basic tool you'd find at a repair shop...just sayin' lol
My neighbor has a shop and has all the software for German, Japanese, and Domestic cars...but that's him and I don't expect every shop to be like that...certainly it's not the norm.
Most independents don’t. I’m in Ottawa, struggling to find an independent I trust for the job. The inde I used last time was a Toyota tech in Toronto but I’m not going there for a few months and wanted to do it before. Are there sources where I can find the exact procedure for a 2015 IS350 awd?
Old 07-11-19, 09:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Are there sources where I can find the exact procedure for a 2015 IS350 awd?
See attached...
The following users liked this post:
Jbreezie (09-16-19)
Old 07-11-19, 12:12 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

See attached...
Damn man thanks a lot!