IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

can not do 2014 3IS RWD Transmission fluid flush.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 10:24 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Easy enough to find a shop that will do a drain-and-fill. As mentioned, the one I just went to has ex-Lexus and Toyota mechanics, and they do a double re/re where they run the car a bit in between.
Old 07-10-19, 12:00 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 812bf3
They did a single drain/fill. I am not sure how much fluid was drained as I could not see clearly at the time. They did indicate 4 bottles of 1L on the invoice and charged 32.48 for the oil.
Does that sound right? Single drain/fill and charged for 4 liters of fluid?

When mine was done an at independent shop they did 2 drain/fill, and drove the car a bit inbetween. Used a synthetic fluid which I preferred OEM, oh well.

I don't have my invoice to see how much fluid they used but im 99.9% positive it's nowhere near 4L for a single drain/fill. Maybe 2-3 qt.
Old 07-10-19, 12:24 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Does that sound right? Single drain/fill and charged for 4 liters of fluid?

When mine was done an at independent shop they did 2 drain/fill, and drove the car a bit inbetween. Used a synthetic fluid which I preferred OEM, oh well.

I don't have my invoice to see how much fluid they used but im 99.9% positive it's nowhere near 4L for a single drain/fill. Maybe 2-3 qt.
Ive done 2. First at Lexus, they billed me for 4 quarts on the invoice. Than at an independent Toyota mechanic, he got approximately 3 quarts out. So roughly 3 quarts comes out. Total capacity is I think 7.9 quarts for rwd and 10 quarts for AWD models.
Old 07-10-19, 12:27 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

You'll get about 3L or 3 quarts out of a drain and fill.
A Litre and a Quart are fairly close in actual volume, so depending how hot, or cold, the fluid is will depend on the exact amount you get out, but it will be approx. 3L, or Quarts.
Old 07-10-19, 12:41 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Ive done 2. First at Lexus, they billed me for 4 quarts on the invoice. Than at an independent Toyota mechanic, he got approximately 3 quarts out. So roughly 3 quarts comes out. Total capacity is I think 7.9 quarts for rwd and 10 quarts for AWD models.
Is that the difference between the 6 and 8-speed?
Old 07-10-19, 12:48 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Is that the difference between the 6 and 8-speed?
Yup 7.9 (approximately) and 10.-something for AWD.
ive done 2 drain n fills, gonna do a 3rd soon then leave her alone for a while.
Old 07-10-19, 12:57 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Yup 7.9 (approximately) and 10.-something for AWD.
ive done 2 drain n fills, gonna do a 3rd soon then leave her alone for a while.
Doing one at a time, 6 months or 10K or so apart?

I'm almost at 70K so am thinking of doing the transfer case and diffs in December, then looking to start doing the tranny.
Old 07-10-19, 01:00 PM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 812bf3
Thank you for all your quick replies. Now at least what they told me is true that they can not do the full fluid replacement. Still pissed that they did not inform me prior to just drain and fill. At least I made sure they did not charge me for a flush but a drain & fill. They knew I was pissed so they did give me a small water-proof Bluetooth speaker as a courtesy for that. They charged for parts/labor $85.98 CAN.
Where did you go? That's not a bad price compared to some dealers.
Old 07-10-19, 01:16 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

I'm almost at 70K so am thinking of doing the transfer case and diffs in December, then looking to start doing the tranny.
When I bought the car at 56,000km mileage I did trans drain, front diff & rear diff. Than around 60,000km I did my 2nd drain n fill, now I’m at 70,000km gonna do a 3rd drain n full than probably leave it for a year.
Lexus dealer in Ottawa was around 350$ tax in for all 3 services, independent Toyota tech did a drain n fill for around 90$. I also used AMSOIL signature series fuel efficient ATF instead of Toyota ws.
Old 07-10-19, 01:20 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Not sure if it’s different with the 8 speeds but on the AWD model transfer case fluid is changed when u do tranny fluid. I thought it was separate jobs but dealer explained they share the ATF fluid and when you get tranny your also doing transfer case fluid.
Old 07-10-19, 01:31 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Not sure if it’s different with the 8 speeds but on the AWD model transfer case fluid is changed when u do tranny fluid. I thought it was separate jobs but dealer explained they share the ATF fluid and when you get tranny your also doing transfer case fluid.
Hmmm, well when Lexus quoted me on servicing they had it separate. One of their services had transfer case in it, and they quoted the tranny flush as a separate procedure. All good though, I'll just do the diffs later this year. The shop quoted me about $80-90 each, sound right?
Old 07-10-19, 01:38 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Hmmm, well when Lexus quoted me on servicing they had it separate. One of their services had transfer case in it, and they quoted the tranny flush as a separate procedure. All good though, I'll just do the diffs later this year. The shop quoted me about $80-90 each, sound right?
Yup about 1 hour labor from a independent is good price. Only thing is if fluids hot they can’t work on it for a while. Easiest/best way to do it is have car sit overnight at the shop that way it’s cold when they do the fluid.
Old 07-10-19, 01:42 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Yup about 1 hour labor from a independent is good price. Only thing is if fluids hot they can’t work on it for a while. Easiest/best way to do it is have car sit overnight at the shop that way it’s cold when they do the fluid.
Yeah that's no problem, I just drop it off in the AM before work. They can do it later in the day if need be, but they should at least be warmed up so they'll flow out better.
Old 07-10-19, 01:42 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Just double checked my bill from Lexus. They had transmission/transfer case as 1 job... 174$ total for that particular job.
Old 07-10-19, 01:48 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Yeah that's no problem, I just drop it off in the AM before work. They can do it later in the day if need be, but they should at least be warmed up so they'll flow out better.
Yea I meant cold like ambient temp, fluid level drain plug only is accurate when the fluids between 40-45 degrees Celsius, any hotter and the tranny will be under filled because more will come out the fill plug. Where ever u go make sure they 100% understand the job because usually what happens is they check trans temp when it’s to hot, they see a bunch of fluid come out the drain straw and think “nice it was overfilled slightly now it’s good” when really it’s under filled now because they checked to hot, fluid expanded and more drained than what should have. Lexus has a TSB saying so many trannys were getting underfilled and only to do it at Lexus because independents were checking the fluid level at wrong temp.
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (07-10-19)

Quick Reply: can not do 2014 3IS RWD Transmission fluid flush.