IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Hit a bad pothole today :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 04:49 PM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hit a bad pothole today :-(

haha, every time I get a new car.. something happens. Two weeks I have had my IS and today I hit a damn pothole in the city and it took out my front passenger tire. It was hit about 35 - 40mph, never saw it coming.. all of the sudden BANG! hard hit.. I knew... I knew instantly I did something bad to the car.. I immediately, turned into a parking lot and saw the light on the dash.... I got out, got the jack and spare out of the trunk set it aside.. then, loosened all the lugs on the wheel. I had to use my foot to break them free (hope that was okay).. then once they were all hand loose started to jack the car. Put the spare on and called the dealer where I bought it.

They gave me free labor on the tire change. They test drove it, and said the rim seemed okay! (shocked) The tire was said to have a side wall blow. The new tire was $129 out the door (Nexen tires) I said, "oh they must be the cheap tires they used to CPO the car with LOL" she said they are not "bad" tires, and will outlast softer ones. So, whatever. Its the same one that was on there. I asked them to check the wheel bearing and alignment.. but, I dont think they did. :-/

Car seemed okay on the way home. Seemed to track okay.

Is there anything else I myself should check (damage wise) ? or.. is this totally fine at this point?

Thanks guys!

Watch thous potholes!!!

T

The following users liked this post:
trstnhn (05-26-19)
Old 05-21-19, 05:42 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

That sucks!! I know it makes me furious when I hit a pothole and worse if I do any damage to the car.

Well, if the car is not vibrating, it seems that maybe the rim got spared and that the tire absorbed most of the brunt. My biggest concern would be the alignment and if it is not pulling, it could be an OK sign but it might still be off a bit and not enough for you to notice. For my peace of mind, I would have asked for a front wheel alignment (if only your front tire hit the pothole) just to be sure. Also, check if your steering wheel is perfectly straight...do you need to turn it a wee bit to get it to go straight?

Yeah, pot holes are a pain in the you know where! Hope you will enjoy your new IS, I love mine immensely despite trading her for a 2019 RC350
Old 05-21-19, 05:57 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

That sucks!

I hit one pretty hard this morning, didn't even see it coming. Immediately checked my tire pressure and luckily all good. Of course to be sure, I had to inspect when I got into the office. Toronto is such a joke on road repair. Almost summer and the roads are still completely destroyed.
Old 05-21-19, 06:05 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ Yeah, welcome to Canada with thaw/freeze cycle and pothole fest

I was also going to add, in time, you may develop wheel bearing premature damage/wear but you can't say for sure...
Old 05-21-19, 06:14 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Yeah, welcome to Canada with thaw/freeze cycle and pothole fest

I was also going to add, in time, you may develop wheel bearing premature damage/wear but you can't say for sure...
Honestly wouldn't be surprised. Luckily wheel bearings are relatively cheap.
Old 05-21-19, 06:34 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

What a rollercoaster ride your IS200t experience has been
Old 05-22-19, 06:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

That is painful, especially when the car is still so new to you. I kinda know the feeling - I had a door ding just a few months into my ownership.

I had a tire bubble last week, and it was the last thing I wanted to see when getting ready to leave the office.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable price for the tire - my front tire would have been $137 to fix. Thankfully, Costco's warranty covered most of the cost, and I needed only $55 to get a new one on.
Old 05-22-19, 11:57 AM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a rollercoaster ride your IS200t experience has been
Hahah... well, honestly it's mainly my own drama LOL. I just went through some getting used (mentally) to owning a turbo car.. and yes, this pothole was a bad day.

BUT.. hey, it would have been A LOT worse right! I mean, door ding in a parking lot would have actually been worse. At least the tier is replaced and looks good as new. (assuming there is no hidden damage the dealer did not find). At the next oil service (3K from now) I will have the alignment checked again. In terms of the wheel bearing.. well, I have no idea.. but I guess when and if it fails I will deal with it then.

Hopefully this is the only real snag I have.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-22-19, 10:53 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharr62
Hahah... well, honestly it's mainly my own drama LOL. I just went through some getting used (mentally) to owning a turbo car.. and yes, this pothole was a bad day.

BUT.. hey, it would have been A LOT worse right! I mean, door ding in a parking lot would have actually been worse. At least the tier is replaced and looks good as new. (assuming there is no hidden damage the dealer did not find). At the next oil service (3K from now) I will have the alignment checked again. In terms of the wheel bearing.. well, I have no idea.. but I guess when and if it fails I will deal with it then.

Hopefully this is the only real snag I have.

Thanks guys!
Wheel bearings aren’t really expensive so either way you should be good.