IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lease Ending Soon - What are the rest of you doing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 02:43 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Lease Ending Soon - What are the rest of you doing?

So.... my lease for my 2016 is coming to an end in a few months (feels like I just got this! Time is flying!!)... I wanted to ask what some of you are doing once your leases are ending and what cars you all have been considering? I'd love to stick with Lexus, I just don't see any drastic improvements from my 2016 to the 2019 and I would literally be getting into the same vehicle again (apart from slightly different exterior looks, bigger nav screen, etc etc...)

I have though of looking into the Alfa Guilia or a BMW 3 or 4 series and seeing what types of offers they have. I also have thought of extending my lease for a few months to see if there is a new look to the IS (most likely wont be) or if they have some drastic changes to the 2020 version. Not too sure what route to go yet but would love to hear some of your opinions? Car has been really reliable too, right now only has 16k miles and all I've done is oil change, brakes and rotors replaced and just recently had the vacuum regulator valve and hose replaced.

Last edited by premier3IS; 05-01-19 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 03:09 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

All depends on what you’re looking for. I went from a G37S which stock had 330 HP (not to the wheels) to the 4 banger IS which was a massive downgrade in power because I wanted a turbo charged 4 banger that was sexy to look at lol. If you’re looking for power look into a V6 or V8 that makes more than 310 HP haha. If not then just look into cars that have what you REALLY want/need.
Old 05-01-19, 05:11 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Lease ending August and if it weren't for the fact that i still have 7k miles to used up, i would have dump this car already. Consequently, I am going back to the Euro's for the next lease. My car has been less than stellar. Turbo lag galore, some engine issues that were taken care of under warranty, **** poor gas mileage for a slow 4 cylinder, frequent tire wear etc etc. I will be back in 2 years when I am ready to purchase, at which time I will most likely get a GSF.
Old 05-01-19, 06:30 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I plan to keep my is forever pretty much and go all out on it. In the meantime I want a m4 next.
Old 05-01-19, 07:53 PM
mak8504
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My lease is up in December 2020 and unless I see major changes in the IS whether that is a full redesign or even a major refresh (infotainment, power, options, etc.), I will most likely switch to a German offering for my next lease. I would either go for the new M340i/M3 or an S4/RS4. I really do want to stay with Lexus though so fingers crossed that they will have a competitive offering in place by then.
Old 05-01-19, 08:17 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

My lease is up in June 2021. I'm not sure what I'll do tbh. I'm very curious to see what the next gen will offer and we should know by then what the 4IS will be. I hope it comes out in 2020.

If I don't like the next gen I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess I'll either buy this one out or look at an Audi S3 or S4. I'm inclined to buy this IS out at the end of the lease, I love the car and it retains its value, reliability.
Old 05-01-19, 08:41 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EXE46
Lease ending August and if it weren't for the fact that i still have 7k miles to used up, i would have dump this car already. Consequently, I am going back to the Euro's for the next lease. My car has been less than stellar. Turbo lag galore, some engine issues that were taken care of under warranty, **** poor gas mileage for a slow 4 cylinder, frequent tire wear etc etc. I will be back in 2 years when I am ready to purchase, at which time I will most likely get a GSF.
Agree with the lag, how slow it is, and the horrible gas mileage. Luckily I didn't have many issues with mines but I also only got 16k on it. What euro you plan on going with? I just don't know how competitive the pricing will be on a lease if I make the switch to a BMW

Originally Posted by mak8504
My lease is up in December 2020 and unless I see major changes in the IS whether that is a full redesign or even a major refresh (infotainment, power, options, etc.), I will most likely switch to a German offering for my next lease. I would either go for the new M340i/M3 or an S4/RS4. I really do want to stay with Lexus though so fingers crossed that they will have a competitive offering in place by then.
Really love the look of the IS, and I love the cockpit feel of the interior. Just hard to decide if going with the same car is worth it with very minimal changes. Hate the lack of some things in the F sport such as auto folding mirrors, memory seats and a few others which really should be options to add on or be standard with an F. Luckily i have till September to decide.
Old 05-01-19, 08:46 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JBison73
My lease is up in June 2021. I'm not sure what I'll do tbh. I'm very curious to see what the next gen will offer and we should know by then what the 4IS will be. I hope it comes out in 2020.

If I don't like the next gen I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess I'll either buy this one out or look at an Audi S3 or S4. I'm inclined to buy this IS out at the end of the lease, I love the car and it retains its value, reliability.
Buying out a lease is generally not recommended. You end up paying more in the long run for it vs having financed it straight out. Take a look at the residual on the contract which is what you'll be owing for the car and see how much you made in payments for the lease term.
Old 05-02-19, 06:02 AM
HAFC01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a Gulia out for a spin the other day and was extremely disappointed, I’d stay well clear of it unless your going for the quad.
Old 05-02-19, 07:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

There are so many good choices in this class of vehicle, and many with declining sales that make good deals pretty easy to come by.

If I were in the market, I'd probably go with a Stinger or G70, or a new M340i.
Old 05-02-19, 08:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,497 Likes on 1,802 Posts

My lease is up in like 10 months but I am still looking already. I plan to find something CPO. Top contenders on my list are RWD IS 350, RC 350, Kia Stinger GT, and BMW M235i/240i. Possibly a GS 350 if I like the way it drives and I can find one in my (admittedly strict compared to now) budget. I want it to be something I can drive till its paid off and have fun with, but still practical. I definitely don't want to lease again, at least not for now.
Old 05-02-19, 09:26 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My lease is up at the end of June. This is my second IS and without major changes, I don’t really want another one. I am not driving a ton and I love the red interior of the IS, but I’ve been in it for 5 years between the two cars and it’s been enough of a good thing. I am looking at a Honda Accord, believe it or don’t.
Old 05-02-19, 11:07 AM
mpbIS350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2016 IS350 lease ended in Feb this year. I extended it for 6 months because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next. Loved the car, except for the tight seats which I could never really get comfortable in. I thought about the 2020 M340i, but thought there wouldn't be very good deals out of the gate, overpriced, plus decided the next car I would hold onto for awhile, so wanted reliable. Always had an eye on GS, so got a very good deal on a 2019 GS 350. Love the room, ride, power, smoothness.
Old 05-02-19, 12:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,497 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mpbIS350
My 2016 IS350 lease ended in Feb this year. I extended it for 6 months because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next. Loved the car, except for the tight seats which I could never really get comfortable in. I thought about the 2020 M340i, but thought there wouldn't be very good deals out of the gate, overpriced, plus decided the next car I would hold onto for awhile, so wanted reliable. Always had an eye on GS, so got a very good deal on a 2019 GS 350. Love the room, ride, power, smoothness.
Congrats. How do you find the driving experience compared to the IS? Is it still fun to drive? I am most curious about that aspect of the car, since my understanding is that the two cars share a lot of components and would expect them to handle similarly.
Old 05-02-19, 01:23 PM
mpbIS350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Congrats. How do you find the driving experience compared to the IS? Is it still fun to drive? I am most curious about that aspect of the car, since my understanding is that the two cars share a lot of components and would expect them to handle similarly.
I find the 2019 GS 350 f sport as fun to drive as the IS. Power feels the same. IS 350 was a bit more nimble (probably expected since lower to the ground and smaller car), and steering felt a touch tighter than the GS. But all in all pretty similar.

Quick Reply: Lease Ending Soon - What are the rest of you doing?