ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Navigation Screen Blacked Out (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/916317-navigation-screen-blacked-out.html)

JNHA123 04-14-19 06:37 PM

Navigation Screen Blacked Out

I've been having this problem for a while and I read a bunch of threads on how to fix this but nothing seems to work. I do not want to bring it to Lexus if there's a solution but if I have to then I will. My navigation screen is completely blacked out and will not turn on when I start my car. My radio does not work, USB port does not work. What should I do???

twixx007 04-15-19 03:53 AM

Just throwing this out there... Not sure if this would help but I know that while the car is running you can hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds until the unit does a self reboot. Good luck!

Sasnuke 04-15-19 04:17 AM

I'm guessing you have a 2014, as it's common to have the radio head units crap out causing this.
If the hard reboot twixx suggested doesn't work, you can try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and pray the system reboots on next startup.
The likelihood is that a radio head unit is needed.
If you look at the lower left of the face of the unit, the radio number is there, starts with a "P".
If you are searching for a replacement unit, you'll want to make sure it has the same number.

NickCaesar 04-15-19 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sasnuke (Post 10493245)
I'm guessing you have a 2014, as it's common to have the radio head units crap out causing this.
If the hard reboot twixx suggested doesn't work, you can try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and pray the system reboots on next startup.
If you look at the lower left of the face of the unit, the radio number is there, starts with a "P".
If you are searching for a replacement unit, you'll want to make sure it has the same number.

whats the difference between 2014 and 2015+ radios?

JNHA123 04-15-19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sasnuke (Post 10493245)

Yes it is a 2014, I've tried disconnecting my battery and checking the radio fuse but nothing seems to fix the problem. Where can I look for a replacement unit?

Sasnuke 04-15-19 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by NickCaesar (Post 10493455)
whats the difference between 2014 and 2015+ radios?

Not sure...I haven't been in a 2015 to see what the faceplate ID is.
Honestly there may be no difference.

Sasnuke 04-15-19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by JNHA123 (Post 10493891)
Yes it is a 2014, I've tried disconnecting my battery and checking the radio fuse but nothing seems to fix the problem. Where can I look for a replacement unit?

eBay is going to be your first goto for this.

wongnee 08-07-20 04:05 PM

Replied in the wrong thread.

BrandoAU 09-03-20 06:14 PM

Had the same issue .. replaced under extended warranty 2 weeks ago

Originally Posted by JNHA123 (Post 10493046)
I've been having this problem for a while and I read a bunch of threads on how to fix this but nothing seems to work. I do not want to bring it to Lexus if there's a solution but if I have to then I will. My navigation screen is completely blacked out and will not turn on when I start my car. My radio does not work, USB port does not work. What should I do???

I had the same issue. Mine had to be replaced under warranty. I waited 2 1/2 weeks on a new head unit. The new unit has a 1 year warranty. Advance 2 weeks. Now it has no sound and is rebooting over and over. I have sound clicking buttons on the NAV, but RADIO doesn't work now. Says audio off. I have about had it with Lexus. I've had this 2014 IS 350 F Sport for 2 months. It has been one thing after another with this ****** car. I kept my original 2008 until it was 12 years old. Never had an issue except for some suspension replacements at about 150k. I can just about guarantee it will require replacement. Reinhardt Lexus in Montgomery charged the insurance company $2300 for the unit plus labor. I am questioning whether it was actually replaced. I am going to request the documents where it was shipped back to Lexus. Those units are core products that have to go back. Nav works fine. Lexus Enform apps work fine as far as connecting and updating weather and all. I can't bluetooth now either. It connects but no sound.

Sasnuke 09-03-20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoAU (Post 10884788)
I had the same issue. Mine had to be replaced under warranty. I waited 2 1/2 weeks on a new head unit. The new unit has a 1 year warranty. Advance 2 weeks. Now it has no sound and is rebooting over and over. I have sound clicking buttons on the NAV, but RADIO doesn't work now. Says audio off. I have about had it with Lexus. I've had this 2014 IS 350 F Sport for 2 months. It has been one thing after another with this ****** car. I kept my original 2008 until it was 12 years old. Never had an issue except for some suspension replacements at about 150k. I can just about guarantee it will require replacement. Reinhardt Lexus in Montgomery charged the insurance company $2300 for the unit plus labor. I am questioning whether it was actually replaced. I am going to request the documents where it was shipped back to Lexus. Those units are core products that have to go back. Nav works fine. Lexus Enform apps work fine as far as connecting and updating weather and all. I can't bluetooth now either. It connects but no sound.

Assuming they plugged in the unit properly, you shouldn't be having the two seperate issues.
No sound is common in 2014 non-ML audio equipped vehicles, and it's usually the Amp.
Rebooting is also common, but it's the Radio Head Unit.
The Radio Head Unit would have been a reman unit from the manufacturer, likely why you waited so long.
Maybe that unit was shipped to the dealer with an issue before it was even installed in your car.

I would get the dealer to replace the unit again, and then see if you still have no sound. If so, then you likely need an Amp.

BrandoAU 09-08-20 07:48 PM

It's definitely non-ML. I discovered over the weekend it always has sound. When it started over the weekend, the system was extremely slow and unresponsive. It would reboot. It ran fine until I tried to run the radio. It would then get slow and reboot. This whole time nothing tuner based really worked, but button clicks resulted in sound from the speakers and NAV sound worked. That should confirm a good amp. The sluggishness seemed to mostly stop about a day later. It seems good now from that aspect. When I get in the car now, I have found that most of the time I can connect bluetooth and play part of a song. The AM, FM, and SiriusXM tuners won't give me sound at that point. If you leave it on FM, the system will reboot eventually. I am in a hot climate here in SE Alabama. It seems that as the interior of the car cools down, things go back to working - but I usually have to play a bluetooth song first. I can use the 3-5 second power button push to make it restart. I can then connect via Bluetooth and play a song. I can then change source to XM or FM and it works. Sound and all. It then seems to work from then on until the next day at first car start. I think it is plugged in properly. I haven't tried a CD to see if it works at that point when hot. I really think the refurb unit from Lexus had an issue that only shows up when hot which wouldn't be seen in a factory that is likely cold/cool when tested. Got any thoughts or opinions on that? I have to get a tire swapped tomorrow that has damage from a small nail that is in a spot that I am not comfortable getting repaired. I am going to see if it works when cool first thing tomorrow. It may further what is known. I think it will wind up needing another replacement, but I won't leave the car this time. I left it for almost 3 weeks last time because I am almost 2 hours from my nearest dealer. Hopefully they will order a new one without me bringing the car in this time. (Crossed Fingers)

I am certainly contacting my dealer tomorrow. Luckily it has a 1 year warranty from Lexus on the Head Unit, but I will refuse to pay labor for them swapping it out again. Heck .. it is a 20 - 30 minute job if you know what you are doing.

doland 11-10-22 01:56 PM

Any idea what this connection is for?

I have one of those units, but I had an pro install it. He did very little and left me with a month of back and forth with the Chinese engineer thru Whatsapp.

Anyway I got it to work, except a few weeks ago this fell out..

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...e87fd48fe5.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...33c9b8c2d8.jpg
It fell out from underneath the dash the other day. Not sure if related but at around that time, the steering controls don't all work.