Can’t unlock my 2014 IS250 neither with Key Fob nor manual key

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 03:03 PM
Legend2013
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can’t unlock my 2014 IS250 neither with Key Fob nor manual key

Hello,

I’m facing critical issue with my 2014 IS250. I was using other car for nearly two weeks and decided to use my IS250 today but couldn’t unlock the car with the Key Fob nor the manual key inserted therein. I think the car’s battery is dead but how can I get into the car to get the battery replaced. The car is not opening!
Old 04-12-19, 04:16 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

As I understand it, the manual key should work whether or not the car battery is dead as it is the physical turn that turns the lock actuator... but maybe I am wrong?

Are you sure you are trying to use the correct key/fob for the car?
Old 04-12-19, 04:23 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Legend2013
I’m facing critical issue with my 2014 IS250. I was using other car for nearly two weeks and decided to use my IS250 today but couldn’t unlock the car with the Key Fob nor the manual key inserted therein. I think the car’s battery is dead but how can I get into the car to get the battery replaced. The car is not opening!
Never used metal key on my IS350 but on my RX350 when using the manual key im 99% sure that it only unlocks/locks the driver door, so if you’re tying to unlock it and looking through the driver window at the passenger door lock trying to see when it unlocks I think it doesn’t. Turn your metal key each direction and pull the handle.
Old 04-12-19, 04:49 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I just played this game on my other car.

Try again with manual key because that seems odd it didn't work. Sometimes when were frustrated we over look little things.

Otherwise jump start
Old 04-12-19, 05:43 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I would give the key a try on the trunk as well if you haven't already
Old 04-13-19, 03:51 AM
Legend2013
Driver School Candidate

I have tried several times to unlock the car with the manual/mechanical key but no way, it’s not opening even when I turn the key clockwise and countered-clockwise. I know it sounds weird but this is what happened. I have come across similar posts, where some are saying that IS model has such a problem. Someone told me to open the car using balloon technique but I know this will create a small gap in the door which will allow the air to come in during driving.

I managed to open the trunk with the key but I couldn’t push the rear seat from the trunk as the rear seat in IS model can only be opened from inside the car.

I really don’t know what to do.
Old 04-13-19, 05:14 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sixbanger
I would give the key a try on the trunk as well if you haven't already
ah, yes, I forget that even the armrest hole is blocked. I can get my fingers through, but that isn't much help.

I had to break into my first gen IS300 forever ago. I got access to the trunk, then stuck my arm through the armrest door, pulled off one of the headrests and used as a stick to manually unlock the door.

When I manually tried to unlock the door, it would unlock for a split second and then auto-relock very quickly (must be an alarm function). My girlfriend (now my wife) had to quickly grab the door before it relocked.

does it appear yours is doing the same? could you use a second person to pull the handle when you manually unlock the drivers door?

Last edited by sixbanger; 04-13-19 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-13-19, 05:53 AM
Cicnus
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you had work done on your driver door? I read in a similar thread that another person had their window regulator replaced, and when the work was being done, they somehow messed up the locking mechanism so the mechanical key wouldnt work. The dealer ended up fixing it for free

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ual-key-2.html

Last edited by Cicnus; 04-13-19 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-13-19, 06:18 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

I would offer to come help, but it looks like you are literally 1/2 way around the world from me.
Old 04-13-19, 06:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

This is definitely an odd one.
The entire purpose of having the metal blade key is for this very reason...can't access the car with remote or touch handle.
The fact that you can insert the key and turn it would suggest you have the right key and you're inserting it in all the way.
The cylinder is mechanically connected directly to the actuator assembly, so once you turn it the door will unlock...much like you saw with the trunk that you were able to open.
If you don't feel any resistance with turning the key, then likely something is disconnected or broken...which I realize doesn't help you to access the vehicle at this point.

Options...call a tow truck to see if they can Slim Jim the door open.
Or forget about the door and see if you can get the hood open and supply power to the battery so you can use the remote.
I'm never tried to pop the hood through the grill, but I think anything is worth a shot at this point.
Old 04-13-19, 01:10 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Oh shoot, didn't think of that I'm my reply. Obviously can't jump until the hood is open. AAA or tow truck driver is gonna be your fix it seems.
Old 04-16-19, 12:20 AM
Legend2013
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sixbanger
I would offer to come help, but it looks like you are literally 1/2 way around the world from me.
sixbanger

Thank you for your offer to help me. I really appreciate it. Actually, I was desperate and had to search for simple and easy solutions from everywhere.
Old 04-16-19, 06:47 AM
Legend2013
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for your guidance and advice. I want to share with you the outcome. I made it, finally!

After watching several videos on YouTube, I managed to reach the hood lock through the grill using jack’s speed handle and I slightly pushed the spring which is linked with the hood release cable, then the hood popped up. After I opened the hood, I jumped the car battery then unlocked the doors with the key fob. It was clear that all the mess caused by a dead battery!

Old 04-16-19, 06:50 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Thank you guys for your guidance and advice. I want to share with you the outcome. I made it, finally!

After watching several videos on YouTube, I managed to reach the hood lock through the grill using jack’s speed handle and I slightly pushed the spring which is linked with the hood release cable, then the hood popped up. After I opened the hood, I jumped the car battery then unlocked the doors with the key fob. It was clear that all the mess caused by a dead battery!
Excellent! Glad you had success in getting back into the vehicle.
At least now we know you can go through the grill to open the hood for sure.

Be sure to get your manual key cylinders looked at right away so this doesn't happen again.
Old 04-16-19, 10:28 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Let us know if you find out what was causing your manual key to not work...

Quick Reply: Can’t unlock my 2014 IS250 neither with Key Fob nor manual key