IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire and Wheel Protection Plan: your experience.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 05:17 PM
mvppadilla
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tire and Wheel Protection Plan: your experience.

For those of you who purchased a Tire and Wheel Protection Plan, have you used this to get curb rash repaired?
I have a bit of curb rash on two wheels, my Lexus dealer said to bring it in and they will "take care of it".
I'd like to know if they're able to make the repair look close to the OEM finish.
Old 04-10-19, 05:37 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Used mine three times over the course of four years. First time, the paint was too dark, and the clear coat was actually chipping off by the time I got to the gas station to correct the tire pressures. Second time (different dealership), the match was perfect. Third time, too dark again. I'm pretty sure they outsource the repair to a 3rd party. Guess it all depends on the quality of the shop that they use.
Old 04-10-19, 06:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,501 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Yeah my dealership has someone they contracted with, and my curb rash fixes - all three of them - have been just fine. No issues with the paint afterward.
Old 04-11-19, 04:41 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

I have also used my warranty a few times. They give it to a third party to refinish the wheels. It's usually a hit or miss with the quality of work but glad i got it since it covers flat tires in addition to the curbed or bent rims.
Old 04-11-19, 08:30 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had on both IS' I had, or have. I haven't used it for any curb rashes because they've only been minor rashes, they didn't want to repair them because they "weren't that bad".. Anyway, I've replaced 3 tires. No issues, so for me the Tire/Wheel protection is worth it.
Old 04-13-19, 02:23 AM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I got it but haven't used it yet, try to drive carefully and memorize any existing potholes on the roads I drive on.
Old 04-13-19, 09:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ex00
I got it but haven't used it yet, try to drive carefully and memorize any existing potholes on the roads I drive on.
It's not only curb rash, btw - at about 8,000 miles I had a puncture and was able to get the whole tire replaced under the plan. I would have spent over $1000 out of pocket if I hadn't gotten the plan, including both the tire and three separate curb rash fixes.
The following users liked this post:
ex00 (04-13-19)
Old 04-13-19, 01:47 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's not only curb rash, btw - at about 8,000 miles I had a puncture and was able to get the whole tire replaced under the plan. I would have spent over $1000 out of pocket if I hadn't gotten the plan, including both the tire and three separate curb rash fixes.
I'm also **** on the roads I drive, if I feel that the roads are too uneven I drive even slower and if I see if there was construction going on within the past 1 month I plan to use another route next time and avoid it for another 2 months. Or if I saw a new house was being built in an area I normally drive, I will take another route until it's finished. Plenty experience from my previous car in driving in construction areas or new house construction areas, going to a tire shop to plug in nails and stuff isn't fun. After getting my IS I started taking precautions to minimize my downtime, I also proceed with caution on unpaved roads as well.

But the tire warranty is a peace of mind I'm willing to pay as well.
Old 04-14-19, 08:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ex00
I'm also **** on the roads I drive, if I feel that the roads are too uneven I drive even slower and if I see if there was construction going on within the past 1 month I plan to use another route next time and avoid it for another 2 months. Or if I saw a new house was being built in an area I normally drive, I will take another route until it's finished. Plenty experience from my previous car in driving in construction areas or new house construction areas, going to a tire shop to plug in nails and stuff isn't fun. After getting my IS I started taking precautions to minimize my downtime, I also proceed with caution on unpaved roads as well.

But the tire warranty is a peace of mind I'm willing to pay as well.
Yeah I am the same way to an extent, and to be fair I haven't used the protection plan in any way for about 1.5 years now... But yeah, peace of mind for potholes is good. +1
Old 04-14-19, 07:56 PM
JonHT
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Protection

Hey man,

definitely worth it! (At least, here in MTL)
i got to change my tires twice already, however, not for curb rashes.
It was actual tires saying bye bye due to potholes.
Old 04-17-19, 08:01 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mvppadilla
For those of you who purchased a Tire and Wheel Protection Plan, have you used this to get curb rash repaired?
I have a bit of curb rash on two wheels, my Lexus dealer said to bring it in and they will "take care of it".
I'd like to know if they're able to make the repair look close to the OEM finish.
Always say "NO" to the wheel/tire insurance.

I could go on a long diatribe about the mathematics behind the cost of the plan, but the simple version is that the average driver isn't going to burn up a greater cost to the underwriter than the actual premium. If you ever do some serious damage to your wheels/tires, it'll cost you the same, or less, as the plan itself to repair/replace. How many times do you honestly expect this will even happen over the lifetime of your vehicle? My guess is once, at most (if at all).

Tires blow and they can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of the insurance. If there were a lower threshold to replace the rims, I'd say go for it. But the fine print will undoubtedly indicate that so long as the rims can hold air, they won't be replaced. That's the key distinction. I guess don't drive over a hole in the ground and you'll be fine, but if you're ever in some serious trouble to the point where you need a number of wheels and tires replaced, it's likely from a serious accident and thus covered by your already-existing auto insurance.

That is to say, any sort of damage that would truly make the insurance worth it will probably result from an actual accident, and you already have that covered.

Last edited by nitroracer; 04-18-19 at 04:29 AM.
sunamer (05-17-22)
Old 04-17-19, 08:40 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by nitroracer

I could go on a long diatribe about the mathematics behind the cost of the plan, but the simple version is that the average driver isn't going to burn up a greater cost to the underwriter than the actual premium. If you ever do some serious damage to your wheels/tires, it'll cost you the same, or less, as the plan itself to repair/replace. How many times do you honestly expect this will even happen over the lifetime of your vehicle? My guess is once, at most (if at all).

Tires blow and they can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of the insurance. If there were a lower threshold to replace the rims, I'd say go for it. But the fine print will undoubtedly indicate that so long as the rims can hold air, they won't be replaced. That's the key distinction. I guess don't drive over a hole in the ground and you'll be fine, but if you're ever in some serious trouble to the point where you need a number of wheels and tires replaced, it's likely from a serious accident and thus covered by your already-existed auto insurance.

That is to say, any sort of damage that would truly make the insurance worth it will probably result from an actual accident, and you already have that covered.
I appreciate your brutal honesty.
nitroracer (04-18-19)
Old 04-17-19, 09:00 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer

Tires blow and they can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of the insurance. If there were a lower threshold to replace the rims, I'd say go for it. But the fine print will undoubtedly indicate that so long as the rims can hold air, they won't be replaced. That's the key distinction. I guess don't drive over a hole in the ground and you'll be fine, but if you're ever in some serious trouble to the point where you need a number of wheels and tires replaced, it's likely from a serious accident and thus covered by your already-existed auto insurance.

I agree with your point regarding replacing a tire. Tires at most are $200-$250 to replace.

But as far as refinishing rims/ fixing bent rims- most places around me charge $150 per rim. If you curb one rim - most people would have them all repainted to have them match which then costs $600 plus tax. I personally paid 900$ for the tire and wheel protection plus for over 5 years. I have used the warranty to have my rims refinished 2x and fixed few bent rims (lot of city driving). IMO money well spent.

The true downside of it is the "hold air part" more times the rim is bent back into the shape the more easily the rim will bend. Brought this up to the dealer and still no response.

Last edited by JNP1227; 04-17-19 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-17-19, 11:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I agree with your point regarding replacing a tire. Tires at most are $200-$250 to replace.

But as far as refinishing rims/ fixing bent rims- most places around me charge $150 per rim. If you curb one rim - most people would have them all repainted to have them match which then costs $600 plus tax. I personally paid 900$ for the tire and wheel protection plus for over 5 years. I have used the warranty to have my rims refinished 2x and fixed few bent rims (lot of city driving). IMO money well spent.

The true downside of it is the "hold air part" more times the rim is bent back into the shape the more easily the rim will bend. Brought this up to the dealer and still no response.
Yeah I think mine cost about $900 as well. I probably would have spent more than that had I not gotten the plan. It's a case-by-case thing.
Old 04-17-19, 11:22 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the dealer to throw in the 3-year tire and wheel plan, but the first time I curbed a wheel I was told they only replace or repair if the wheel will not hold air. I saw the fine print and it excluded cosmetic damage. This is a Canadian plan so I guess down south it is different. The only time I was able to use the warranty was for sidewall damage to a tire. If I had paid for the plan (which would have cost $399 CDN), I would have to say that it is not worth the money. If curb rash was covered, my opinion might be different, but I did have some damage repaired flawlessly by a local shop that only cost $125 CDN!

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Protection Plan: your experience.