Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present)
Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage >

Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

Notices
IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

 
Old 04-10-19, 09:39 AM
  #1  
fxturbo
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

if you hadn't changed your transmission fluid what's your current highest mileage. Thanks
fxturbo is offline  
Old 04-10-19, 12:13 PM
  #2  
SSworks
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 146
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

70K
Plan on forcing Lexus to change it at 100K
SSworks is offline  
Old 04-10-19, 03:13 PM
  #3  
fxturbo
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by ssworks View Post
70k
plan on forcing lexus to change it at 100k
how ?????????????????
fxturbo is offline  
Old 04-10-19, 10:50 PM
  #4  
Flash5
Lexus Test Driver
 
Flash5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,522
Liked 122 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fxturbo View Post
how ?????????????????
Just tell them you want one. If they say it's not needed, just insist that you want it done.
Flash5 is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 04:44 AM
  #5  
JNP1227
Pole Position
 
JNP1227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 216
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flash5 View Post
Just tell them you want one. If they say it's not needed, just insist that you want it done.
Same issue with me. Lexus wont TOUCH it unless there is a clear problem with it.
JNP1227 is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 08:08 AM
  #6  
NickCaesar
Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 157
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JNP1227 View Post
Same issue with me. Lexus wont TOUCH it unless there is a clear problem with it.

Thatís because they want your tranny to blow so you have to buy a new one or get a new car. I did my flush at 55,000km thatís like maybe 35k miles and they told me same thing, itís not necessary till 98,000km, but I told them to shut up and do it. Dealer here charges 180$ tax inc for the drain n full, u could find an independent Toyota mechanic to do it for half that.
Auto transmissions are generally the weak point of cars , I figure a little drain n refill here and there is a cheap assurance.
NickCaesar is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 12:07 PM
  #7  
HOMER350
Pole Position
 
HOMER350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 388
Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flash5 View Post
Just tell them you want one. If they say it's not needed, just insist that you want it done.
Indeed, we often forget they're there to be of service to US. (unlike some manufacturer dealers)

Originally Posted by NickCaesar View Post
Thatís because they want your tranny to blow so you have to buy a new one or get a new car. ...
I do not believe that's the case but I like the enthusiasm. I too am pro fluid change; however, they wouldn't operate on that motive in that regard.


...Some do however make things near impossible to DIY so you're encouraged to pay dealer (BMW).
HOMER350 is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 12:09 PM
  #8  
SSworks
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 146
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flash5 View Post
Just tell them you want one. If they say it's not needed, just insist that you want it done.
Exactly what I will do. I asked about it at my 60K service and was told its not necessary at this mileage but if you need it done they can do it.
SSworks is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 12:13 PM
  #9  
NickCaesar
Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 157
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HOMER350 View Post
Indeed, we often forget they're there to be of service to US. (unlike some manufacturer dealers)



I do not believe that's the case but I like the enthusiasm. I too am pro fluid change; however, they wouldn't operate on that motive in that regard.


...Some do however make things near impossible to DIY so you're encouraged to pay dealer (BMW).
if it was really a lifetime fluid that requires no service it wouldnít only have a warranty until 110,000km... manufacturers do not want a car to last 10-20 years like the old days. If it was a tranny that could last that long with no service the warranty would be a lot longer than that. Every piece of the car has an engineered service life. They are literally built to break.
NickCaesar is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 03:05 PM
  #10  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,379
Liked 335 Times in 271 Posts
Default

I changed the ATF WS fluid (same fluid as in your 3IS) in my 2015 CT200h F Sport at around 42k miles. This is how it looked.

FWIW


E46CT is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 03:24 PM
  #11  
NickCaesar
Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 157
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
I changed the ATF WS fluid (same fluid as in your 3IS) in my 2015 CT200h F Sport at around 42k miles. This is how it looked.

FWIW


looks really bad. Even worse than my fluid looked at around the same mileage. I know looks donít objectively mean anything but I think youíd be hard pressed to find a mechanic that would tell you that your fluid looks good. Did you change it yourself??
NickCaesar is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:16 AM
  #12  
Tungstn-IS
Pole Position
 
Tungstn-IS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 301
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Appearance of the fluid doesn't mean a thing. It would be interesting to see some sent out for testing at different intervals. For what it's worth, I ran my 2IS to about 165k miles without ever touching it and didn't have a single issue. It's not the same transmission, but the same fluid seemed to do just fine.
Tungstn-IS is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:39 AM
  #13  
NickCaesar
Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 157
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS View Post
Appearance of the fluid doesn't mean a thing. It would be interesting to see some sent out for testing at different intervals. For what it's worth, I ran my 2IS to about 165k miles without ever touching it and didn't have a single issue. It's not the same transmission, but the same fluid seemed to do just fine.
Here is a Black Lab Oil Analsys of TOYOTA WS fluid being analyzed with 70k mileage. There report says there is a very high level of metals, insoluables are high, oxidation of oil due to heat also occurring...
BLACK LABS RECOMMENDS THE FLUID BE CHANGED EVERY 40K MILES.

https://priuschat.com/threads/2010-t....128673/page-2

i donít get how with stuff like this available online, people still just refuse to accept the fluid is garbage, and that changing it every 40k miles or so is BETTER FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION.... I just donít get, such a cheap, simple assurance every few years to get it done and people still argue itís ďlifetimeĒ fluid. Hopefully a report from Black Lab Oil Analysis proving the fluid is toast at 70k changes some minds, but not likely.
NickCaesar is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
GNS (Yesterday), Jbreezie (04-18-19), Solara350 (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 08:30 AM
  #14  
arentz07
Lexus Champion
 
arentz07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,429
Liked 130 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NickCaesar View Post
Here is a Black Lab Oil Analsys of TOYOTA WS fluid being analyzed with 70k mileage. There report says there is a very high level of metals, insoluables are high, oxidation of oil due to heat also occurring...
BLACK LABS RECOMMENDS THE FLUID BE CHANGED EVERY 40K MILES.

https://priuschat.com/threads/2010-t....128673/page-2

i donít get how with stuff like this available online, people still just refuse to accept the fluid is garbage, and that changing it every 40k miles or so is BETTER FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION.... I just donít get, such a cheap, simple assurance every few years to get it done and people still argue itís ďlifetimeĒ fluid. Hopefully a report from Black Lab Oil Analysis proving the fluid is toast at 70k changes some minds, but not likely.
Did you account for this post in that thread?

I cant think of any wear parts that are aluminum. So that must be from the manufacturing process. Imagine all that metal being sloshed around by those motor armatures and pumped through the bearings. I think I would not go more than 20k on a new Prius without changing the transaxle fluid.
arentz07 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 08:44 AM
  #15  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,379
Liked 335 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Appearance alone isn't the end-all-be-all. But Toyota isn't exactly installing used dark fluid in brand new cars at the factory. Point is new fluid is better than old.

Oil shears, HTHS ability goes down, viscosity at temp goes down. Oil doesn't perform as good the more time and wear its subjected to.

Plenty of cars out there from all makes (Ford, BMW, Mazda etc) all with stories of original fluid in XXXXXX mile transmission and all is "fine."

Problem is "fine" is subjective. Some make it out of the woods with new fluid, some don't Some drive hard, some don't. Since there's so much variation in results, it's best, if you're an enthusiast, to just change the oil. particularly if your car is newer. If you have the option to change the oil now, take it.

and yes did it myself on my CT.
E46CT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: