Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present)
Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage >

Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

Notices
IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

Old 04-12-19, 08:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

Liked 335 Times in 271 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar View Post
Here is a Black Lab Oil Analsys of TOYOTA WS fluid being analyzed with 70k mileage. There report says there is a very high level of metals, insoluables are high, oxidation of oil due to heat also occurring...
BLACK LABS RECOMMENDS THE FLUID BE CHANGED EVERY 40K MILES.

https://priuschat.com/threads/2010-t....128673/page-2

i don’t get how with stuff like this available online, people still just refuse to accept the fluid is garbage, and that changing it every 40k miles or so is BETTER FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION.... I just don’t get, such a cheap, simple assurance every few years to get it done and people still argue it’s “lifetime” fluid. Hopefully a report from Black Lab Oil Analysis proving the fluid is toast at 70k changes some minds, but not likely.
Thank you for that! This backs up exactly what i said in my previous post and i didn't read this until just now. and i didn't even think of yes the factory oil will have shavings in it that have been floating around since you bought your car. it's all tumbling in all the gears and being ground up in the factory fluid.
Old 04-12-19, 09:23 AM
NickCaesar
Driver

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
Did you account for this post in that thread?
no because that guys not a mechanic. I only care about the black lab report that says the fluid is toast at 70k.
The following users liked this post: NickCaesar
Solara350 (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 11:10 AM
arentz07
Lexus Champion

Liked 130 Times in 125 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar View Post
no because that guys not a mechanic. I only care about the black lab report that says the fluid is toast at 70k.
The Blackstone Lab report also mentions the fact that it was factory oil with wear-in materials. Besides, looks like the viscosity was still well within range - only thing wrong was insolubles, which seems like it could be a manufacturing anomaly or perhaps improper break-in.

Also, it's a Prius, not an IS, so this isn't apples-to-apples.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to go changes your trans fluid at 60k - in fact, due to the possibly of wear-in metal floating around in the trans, it's probably a good idea. However, it's not like the trans fluid is completely toast at 60k either.
Old 04-12-19, 12:06 PM
Solara350
Lexus Test Driver

Liked 52 Times in 46 Posts

Do it at 80k Miles or 100k Kilometers ! My Gen3 IS350 is at Lexus Downtown Toronto right Now for Trans Fluid Flush for the 4th times. 110k ODO on the clock. $250 CND dollars each time for trans fluid flush total 4 times =$1000 . And then do it once every 1-2 years, if you drive hard do it in 1-2 years if you drive smooth and relax do it in 2-3 years is fine.

Last year, before ive done the Trans fluid flush i smelt Oil-Burnt when i pull hard, after i flushed the first time car felt smoother, after the 3rd time car pulls nice and even smoother, i'm doing it again the 4th time because i want fresh fluid.
Old 04-12-19, 12:30 PM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

The trans fluid definitely is subjected to lots of heat and abuse.

Your best bet long term is biting the bullet, ponying up the cash, and paying a Lexus dealer to do it. Or a really trusted independent. or DIY if you're good at your craft.

It's pricey insurance, but insurance nonetheless. You don't want to find out you were wrong once your transmission starts to slip.

Aside from all the noise and all the attempted justification to keep the old fluid, this all comes down to whether or not someone is willing to spend the cash. That's all. New fluid is always better than old fluid. That cannot be disputed.
The following users liked this post: E46CT
Solara350 (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 12:57 PM
arentz07
Lexus Champion

Liked 130 Times in 125 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post

Your best bet long term is biting the bullet, ponying up the cash, and paying a Lexus dealer to do it. Or a really trusted independent. or DIY if you're good at your craft.

It's pricey insurance, but insurance nonetheless. You don't want to find out you were wrong once your transmission starts to slip.

Aside from all the noise and all the attempted justification to keep the old fluid, this all comes down to whether or not someone is willing to spend the cash. That's all. New fluid is always better than old fluid. That cannot be disputed.
No disagreement there. Can't hurt to do the service "early", just like changing engine oil.
The following users liked this post: arentz07
Solara350 (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 01:27 PM
Solara350
Lexus Test Driver

Liked 52 Times in 46 Posts

Totally agreed with you ! i usually do it myself at a friend's shop even alighment , lol i'm getting old and lazy and the Alighment on Lexus IS350 AWD is hard unlike the 2nd Generation IS.
Old 04-12-19, 01:35 PM
SSworks
Driver

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I totally agree with the sentiment of prevention is better than cure and I will be doing a flush soon but the "cure" is not all that expensive either.
$1200 for a 30K mile donor transmission couple hours of your time or $800 in labor to replace.
Old 04-12-19, 01:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

^Good point too. But good fluid shifts better as well. Makes for a happier car.
Old 04-12-19, 01:57 PM
SSworks
Driver

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

^Good point too. But good fluid shifts better as well. Makes for a happier car.
For sure I agree but was just giving some perspective on the flip side if the trans does kick the bucket.
Old 04-12-19, 02:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

Ya. Just saying the two sides are not binary. your trans can never kick the bucket but still not perform to its fullest. mushy/delayed shifts and all.
Old 04-12-19, 03:03 PM
NickCaesar
Driver

Ya. Just saying the two sides are not binary. your trans can never kick the bucket but still not perform to its fullest. mushy/delayed shifts and all.
how mechanically inclined are you? How long did it take you to change the fluid? How much fluid did you get out?
thx
Old 04-13-19, 02:22 AM
ex00
Driver

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Is Toyota ATF recommended or are there better or equal ATFs out there?
Old 04-13-19, 01:26 PM
HOMER350
Pole Position

Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ex00 View Post
Is Toyota ATF recommended or are there better or equal ATFs out there?
Toyota fluid is recommended.
I went with another brand full synthetic but my 1st choice was OEM. It's just want my trusted shop had and liked so I went with it.
The following users liked this post: HOMER350
ex00 (04-13-19)
Old 04-13-19, 01:44 PM
NickCaesar
Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350 View Post
Toyota fluid is recommended.
I went with another brand full synthetic but my 1st choice was OEM. It's just want my trusted shop had and liked so I went with it.
i used AMSOIL Signature series low viscosity, what did u use?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: