ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Flat bottom carbon steering wheel from Hong Kong (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/915945-flat-bottom-carbon-steering-wheel-from-hong-kong.html)

taktiks 04-09-19 10:28 PM

Flat bottom carbon steering wheel from Hong Kong

Rolled the dice on ordering a carbon wheel from Hong Kong. Turned out pretty nice, actually.

The leather is a shade or two brighter than the Roja Red, but it's something I can live with. It is incredibly hard to choose a color match via photos with someone who doesn't speak english.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...7a0983decc.jpg

ex00 04-10-19 01:41 AM

Nice! You have a link to that store?

I'm working with a factory that produces these to try get a near perfect match to roja red along with shift knobs as well.

taktiks 04-10-19 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ex00 (Post 10488853)
You have a link to that store?

I don't. I just put out a request via alibaba, and a mfg responded. Everything else after that was through WhatsApp and Alibaba.

350phi 04-10-19 09:10 AM

not bad. $200??

"LED Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Compatible with Lexus NX RCF GSF OHC Motors" on alibaba looks interesting.

NickCaesar 04-10-19 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by taktiks (Post 10488810)
Rolled the dice on ordering a carbon wheel from Hong Kong. Turned out pretty nice, actually.

The leather is a shade or two brighter than the Roja Red, but it's something I can live with. It is incredibly hard to choose a color match via photos with someone who doesn't speak english.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...7a0983decc.jpg

Is it a cover? It fits over current wheel? Looks bad ass but how does it work?

ex00 04-10-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 350phi (Post 10489063)
not bad. $200??

"LED Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Compatible with Lexus NX RCF GSF OHC Motors" on alibaba looks interesting.

This place is selling it for about $380 shipped to USA. The advertised prices are rough estimate without shipping and additional costs for higher end materials and designs so $200 is the lowest if it's bare custom that they probably have in stock ready to ship out. Also there is a MOQ(minimum order quantity) that some require in order to purchase at a lower advertise price but you just need to work that out.

So far I know putting out a RFQ on the shift knobs, none of the manufactures bite so I have to just kind of put out a chinese RFQ instead of english to try target the other factories. Some factories rather no deal with foreigners since it's hard for them to converse with them and only deal with locals. Putting up some information for people once I organize and confirm everything with some of these manufactures. Hopefully this helps some people.

taktiks 04-10-19 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 350phi (Post 10489063)
not bad. $200?

I ended up getting it for $375 shipped/insured.

Originally Posted by NickCaesar (Post 10489114)
Is it a cover? It fits over current wheel? Looks bad ass but how does it work?

Complete replacement of the steering wheel, not a cover.

Originally Posted by ex00 (Post 10489120)
This place is selling it for about $380 shipped to USA. The advertised prices are rough estimate without shipping and additional costs for higher end materials and designs so $200 is the lowest if it's bare custom that they probably have in stock ready to ship out. Also there is a MOQ(minimum order quantity) that some require in order to purchase at a lower advertise price but you just need to work that out.

So far I know putting out a RFQ on the shift knobs, none of the manufactures bite so I have to just kind of put out a chinese RFQ instead of english to try target the other factories. Some factories rather no deal with foreigners since it's hard for them to converse with them and only deal with locals. Putting up some information for people once I organize and confirm everything with some of these manufactures. Hopefully this helps some people.

I could have gotten the price down if I ordered 5 or more. As you know, the RFQ process on alibaba requires some patience. This one took about 2 months from receiving a reply to the RFQ to shipping. Luckily, I happen to have some friends who read/write chinese, so that helped speed things along, but that doesn't help the color matching process.

ex00 04-10-19 11:19 AM

I find that the RFQ process is flawed, you just need to sit and wait but right now i'm working with some factories to see if they can closely match the color as on a color meter roja red is a mix of wine red/burgundy/pink from what I measured. I bought some burgundy leather to upholster the center silver trim pieces and it's almost spot on but I believe wine red would have been really close to roja red. As long as you send them sample pictures of the color you are looking for they should be able to find something very close to it.

But your steering wheel isn't that bad, camera and lighting makes a difference in the color depths as well as the variations of monitors and their color depths so it's difficult to judge based on a special color.

taktiks 04-10-19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ex00 (Post 10489219)
But your steering wheel isn't that bad, camera and lighting makes a difference in the color depths as well as the variations of monitors and their color depths so it's difficult to judge based on a special color.

I figured that and took a shot anyway based on their photos. It's close enough, I think I can get the color to match by using some neatsfoot oil to darken the leather. I'll be giving that a shot in the next week or so, so fingers crossed...

ex00 04-10-19 01:35 PM

Good luck bro! Look for a post in a few months on shift knobs if you are interested. Trying to get them in at a decent price for those who are interested, not too sure how I will ship these out of Hawaii if I do get them since shipping is a wallet breaker too. I know not a lot of people are willing to spend 500+ for a steering wheel and $300+ on top of that for a shift knob that is custom.

ex00 04-11-19 01:01 AM

Forgot to mention that you must check with the factory to see if they are compatible for 2017+ IS years since the LDA and vibration motor are new and the cores are slightly different. Forgot to verify this after the excitement of finding a source and incredible prices along with customizations to every single detail. Once you ask this question, the number of sources are narrowed down.

ex00 04-12-19 07:13 PM

Hey guys. Not starting a group buy for anything but if you are interested in a carbon fiber shift knob like the one below. I can send you all the information to get it from the factory in China and the whole process. Price is about $200 and I believe about $85 for shipping but should be able to work the price down with them if you purchase other things as well.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...b92963fd36.png

marcu725 09-27-19 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ex00 (Post 10491733)
Hey guys. Not starting a group buy for anything but if you are interested in a carbon fiber shift knob like the one below. I can send you all the information to get it from the factory in China and the whole process. Price is about $200 and I believe about $85 for shipping but should be able to work the price down with them if you purchase other things as well.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...b92963fd36.png

I'd be interested in the matching steering wheel and shift knob.

E46CT 09-27-19 08:10 AM

The wheel looks good. I'd put it on my CT. The flat bottom would make a small car feel a tad larger since i have big legs. Hmmm... $200 i'd almost buy it now. seems like it's $375 though.. but maybe cause you got it red/customized?

I wonder though how rigid the wheel is. i'd hope it's not made out of super solid steel. The wheel is designed to bend should you strike it in a crash. I wonder how they go about manufacturing it. if they took a stock wheel and modified it, i'd feel better about it.

ex00 09-27-19 07:16 PM

These are actually stock steering wheels refitted. The cost savings are because at different times of the year they have sales so there are specials on these niche items and stuff. I believe they rip out all the factory leather and keep all core components that same and modify to how the customer requests it on their order.

Shift knob is definitely OEM but refitted as well with the custom accents.