IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

About to purchase my first Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 09:32 AM
Daniels927
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default About to purchase my first Lexus...

Hello everybody, new member here and about to purchase my first Lexus. Actuslly, I'm still shopping around and been researching between a 2016 IS350 F and a 2016 RC350 F both used. I've read thru the forums and watched YouTube videos on which is better and still undecided. Yes the IS is more practicale, better deals (dealer really wanted to get rid of it), and overall lighter = faster. The RC is more rarer, better looking (depending on who you ask) and more suitable for a childless man, I'm 37 btw. If I can get some wisdom and tips only a veteran Lexus owner would know, it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again everybody.
Old 04-07-19, 10:09 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi and welcome! As posted in another recent thread I was in a similar situation and coming from a BMW Z4. No need for 4 doors, and I really like the looks of the RC as well as opposed to a sedan. Although I never drove one, downsides were the extra weight, huge doors, visibility, and most of all, that they are hard to find and thus (often much) more expensive. I had a max amount I wanted to spend, and that ended up being a loaded 2014 IS350 AWD, whereas an RC would have still been more than a similar 2015 or 2016 IS. What I would consider in the future however would be an RC-F, as they are depreciating significantly already -- I'm seeing 2015s for half of what new ones retail for.
Old 04-07-19, 10:14 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Used car Purchase in order of priority:

0) Remember buying a used car from a used car lot is the same regardless if the guy is wearing a Lexus nametag.
1) PPI on a lift
2) Lexus Owners Website, enter vin and check the service history if any documented under lexus
3) Multiple Comps in writing to see what the value is. Check the NADA as well.
4) CarFax
Old 04-07-19, 02:43 PM
Daniels927
Rookie

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Hi and welcome! As posted in another recent thread I was in a similar situation and coming from a BMW Z4. No need for 4 doors, and I really like the looks of the RC as well as opposed to a sedan. Although I never drove one, downsides were the extra weight, huge doors, visibility, and most of all, that they are hard to find and thus (often much) more expensive. I had a max amount I wanted to spend, and that ended up being a loaded 2014 IS350 AWD, whereas an RC would have still been more than a similar 2015 or 2016 IS. What I would consider in the future however would be an RC-F, as they are depreciating significantly already -- I'm seeing 2015s for half of what new ones retail for.
I'm went to the dealership to look st some cars in person and saw a RFC there. I fell in love with that car and now im gonna wait and keep shopping around for a low mileage and within my budge RCF.
Old 04-09-19, 12:50 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniels927
I'm went to the dealership to look st some cars in person and saw a RFC there. I fell in love with that car and now im gonna wait and keep shopping around for a low mileage and within my budge RCF.
That's the biggest problem of having an RC as an option. The means you are okay with the 2 door, 4 seater car. When you start reading about it, there's the concern of power but everything else is supposed to be nice. This is all resolved by moving up to the RC-F. Taking an RC-F for what it is versus comparing it to "sports" cars, it becomes a wise choice to indeed move up to an RC-F.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 04-09-19, 01:02 PM
Daniels927
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2ndName
That's the biggest problem of having an RC as an option. The means you are okay with the 2 door, 4 seater car. When you start reading about it, there's the concern of power but everything else is supposed to be nice. This is all resolved by moving up to the RC-F. Taking an RC-F for what it is versus comparing it to "sports" cars, it becomes a wise choice to indeed move up to an RC-F.

Good luck with the hunt!
I actually found 2 and in the process of dealing a good price.
Old 04-09-19, 01:34 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Daniels927
I actually found 2 and in the process of dealing a good price.
That is very exciting. I am very interested to hear what your OTD was.
Old 04-09-19, 01:36 PM
Daniels927
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2ndName
That is very exciting. I am very interested to hear what your OTD was.
If my dream comes true, I'll post pics.
Old 04-09-19, 02:06 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Used car Purchase in order of priority:

0) Remember buying a used car from a used car lot is the same regardless if the guy is wearing a Lexus nametag.
1) PPI on a lift
2) Lexus Owners Website, enter vin and check the service history if any documented under lexus
3) Multiple Comps in writing to see what the value is. Check the NADA as well.
4) CarFax
Interesting... i didn't know about the Lexus Owners Website before getting my 2015 is350 about a month ago. I just registered with the VIN and i see all the services done that didn't even show up on Cafax or AutoCheck. Now, i even feel better that the previous owner took care of the car and did all repair at the dealership.
Old 04-09-19, 02:48 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Interesting... i didn't know about the Lexus Owners Website before getting my 2015 is350 about a month ago. I just registered with the VIN and i see all the services done that didn't even show up on Cafax or AutoCheck. Now, i even feel better that the previous owner took care of the car and did all repair at the dealership.
The site is very helpful. You don't even need to register to pull up information. Very nice for when car shopping as most car search sites will show the VIN.
Old 04-09-19, 03:17 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by babaijebu
I am the opposite and found that the person did not get an oil change done until 15k miles and only drove 1000 miles in a period of 9 months (over mileage for lease I am guessing). Wish I had known to check here before purchasing the car
Old 04-09-19, 05:55 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ In my case, I have little mileage done through the winter as I store it away but I always keep the battery on a tender and start it periodically to keep things all lubed up
Old 04-10-19, 02:13 AM
Daniels927
Rookie

Thank you to everybody for their inputs and thoughts. After thinking it over with my wife and realizing my budget I have come to the conclusion to wait until my B-day to purchase my dream car. The main reason is financial as I'm not as well off as some of the guys here considering my age. Anyways, my B-day is in September which is 4 months away (can't come soon enough) and by then, hopefully, I will post some pics of my dream baby.
Old 04-10-19, 07:21 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ Kudos for being responsible, mature and putting priorities in front of an impulsive purchase
The following users liked this post:
Daniels927 (03-12-20)
Old 04-10-19, 07:53 AM
Daniels927
Rookie

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Kudos for being responsible, mature and putting priorities in front of an impulsive purchase
Most of the credit goes to my wife who always keeps me in check. Good thing I married my better half..=)
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (04-10-19)

Quick Reply: About to purchase my first Lexus...