A/S Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 07:46 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/S Tire Recommendations

Hi All,
I'm hoping to buy a new set of A/S tires before summer (I've had good luck buying around memorial day with sales) and wanted to see people's recommendations. Currently I'm running the 18 inch wheels with the staggered setup.

With a quick search, I've only really found threads on Michelin's. While I'm open to a set of Pilot Sport AS/3+, I'm also open to recommendations for other tire brands. I had a set of Continental Control Contact Sport A/S's on my BMW and I loved them. Although I think they might be discontinued, cause I can't find them anymore. I'm also privy to learning if people have any experiences with Dunlops, Yokhoma, Toyo's, Continentals Goodyear's etc. on their 3IS.

Grateful if you could provide what tires you have and your experience. Please also let me know how they do in the: Dry, Wet, Snow/Ice.

Cheers,
Old 03-25-19, 07:59 AM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by aniks
Hi All,
I'm hoping to buy a new set of A/S tires before summer (I've had good luck buying around memorial day with sales) and wanted to see people's recommendations. Currently I'm running the 18 inch wheels with the staggered setup.

With a quick search, I've only really found threads on Michelin's. While I'm open to a set of Pilot Sport AS/3+, I'm also open to recommendations for other tire brands. I had a set of Continental Control Contact Sport A/S's on my BMW and I loved them. Although I think they might be discontinued, cause I can't find them anymore. I'm also privy to learning if people have any experiences with Dunlops, Yokhoma, Toyo's, Continentals Goodyear's etc. on their 3IS.

Grateful if you could provide what tires you have and your experience. Please also let me know how they do in the: Dry, Wet, Snow/Ice.

Cheers,
I’m running Continental DWS for the summer on 19” rims and love them. I had a set(also on 19”) on my 04 Acura TL. I liked them so much I put a set on my wife’s 07 Edge. I don’t have any winter info as all these vehicles had 2 sets of wheels/tires.
Old 03-25-19, 09:11 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by aniks
Hi All,

Cheers,
I run pilot sport as 3+ on factory f sport rims. I also have upgraded RCF/GSF lower control arm bushings to reduce inner tire wear that plagues these cars. Tires are kinda loud, but perform really well. I’m n Canada though so they are horrible in real snow and any ice...probably different if your in a warmer place that might only get a tiny bit of snow.
I’ve run Continental DWS 06’s on 2 different cars, good tire, quiter than pilots, maybe a touch lower in terms of overall performance to the pilots but they will handle snow and occasional ice better.
I would say unless you auto cross or track ur car you won’t really notice the differences, maybe a really aggressive daily driver would...if you live anywhere with decent snow invest in good winter tires, they are 100x better than all season & might save your car or your life.
I’m getting new tires in a few weeks, not sure what I’ll get, might get another set of pilot sports as3’s, also considering dws 06’s, some Potenza’s & I really wanna try the BF Goodrich g-force comp 2 A/S, had the summer version and they were awesome. Cheapest one of those when I’m ready to buy is prob gonna be what I go with.
Old 03-25-19, 09:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Running BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S. I recommend these every time I can. They are not too loud and provide far better performance than their price point gives them a right to, and certainly better than the OE all-seasons. I am running them on an otherwise stock setup with the F Sport 18-inch wheels.

In the snow they aren't awesome, but they are good enough to provide security in normal driving, and more fun than stock as well, with a little more front-end grip. On dry pavement is where they shine though. They have firmer sidewalls than OE tires or the Continental DWS06 (which I have driven on a friend's IS 350), meaning the turn-in is more direct than before. However, I think the DWS06 probably is a little quieter and more comfortable. So it depends on whether you want more performance of more comfort.

I got these over the Michelins because the set of 4 tires was basically $100 cheaper; knowing the IS eats front tires, I didn't want to invest too much in them knowing they'd be toast after a while anyway. If you have upgraded bushings, that might not be a factor for you.
Old 03-25-19, 09:48 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
Running BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S. I recommend these every time I can. They are not too loud and provide far better performance than their price point gives them a right to, and certainly better than the OE all-seasons. I am running them on an otherwise stock setup with the F Sport 18-inch wheels.

In the snow they aren't awesome, but they are good enough to provide security in normal driving, and more fun than stock as well, with a little more front-end grip. On dry pavement is where they shine though. They have firmer sidewalls than OE tires or the Continental DWS06 (which I have driven on a friend's IS 350), meaning the turn-in is more direct than before. However, I think the DWS06 probably is a little quieter and more comfortable. So it depends on whether you want more performance of more comfort.

I got these over the Michelins because the set of 4 tires was basically $100 cheaper; knowing the IS eats front tires, I didn't want to invest too much in them knowing they'd be toast after a while anyway. If you have upgraded bushings, that might not be a factor for you.
U upgraded your lower control arm bushings right?
They greatly reduces front tire wear as well as really improves steering feeling.
did u upgrade your lower control
Old 03-25-19, 10:25 AM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also looking for some new tires. I was going to get the Michelin Pilot Sprt A/S3+, however when price shopping Costco seems to have these tires marked as Discontinued. I checked with two different Costco’s to verify it wasn’t a mistake.

i see no indication from anyone else or from the Michelin web site that these tires are discontinued.

Does anyone have any insight? Are they coming out with a new model soon? If so I may hold off but I can’t to long.

May consider the Continental DWS as the alternative.
Old 03-25-19, 10:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

U upgraded your lower control arm bushings right?
They greatly reduces front tire wear as well as really improves steering feeling.
did u upgrade your lower control
I have not upgraded my LCA bushings, no. I don't plan on keeping this car long-term at the moment, so I didn't see the point in spending the money/effort to do that upgrade.
Old 03-25-19, 11:05 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

I had Michelin PS3 AS+/s and they were amazing.
Old 03-25-19, 05:30 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
I have not upgraded my LCA bushings, no. I don't plan on keeping this car long-term at the moment, so I didn't see the point in spending the money/effort to do that upgrade.
if you’re gonna keep it more than a year I would do the upgrade, it’s only $100-150 in parts plus 30 min labor and you’ll get that money back in tire savings quickly
Old 03-25-19, 06:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
if you’re gonna keep it more than a year I would do the upgrade, it’s only $100-150 in parts plus 30 min labor and you’ll get that money back in tire savings quickly
Actually I won't, since I have only a year left on the lease.
Old 03-26-19, 08:25 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks everyone! Right now it's looking like the Continental DWS vs the BF Goodrich G-Force Comps A/S.

We don't have a lot of snow in Portland (OR), so buying a dedicated set for the winter is hard to justify. However we do get freezing rain, which I just try avoid driving altogether.

Does anyone have experience with the Yokohoma Advans A/S? They're the second highest rated tires behind the Pilot Sports on Tire Rack.
Old 03-26-19, 12:27 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Im on Toyo Proxes 4 plus. Tread life is excellent. 14,000 miles on them in staggered format, and I still have a ton of tread left. Very comfortable tire. Not the grippiest, but with every day driving, its perfectly fine.

Wet performance is what concerns me. Ive had moments along the 405 freeway near Six Flags going towards LA where there was standing water from the rain. In my previous 2004 camry on Falken Ziex 950 all seasons, I wouldnt bat an eye. However, these Toyos gave me a poop-staining pants experience several times. I was going with the flow of traffic, but I know better than to over react and was able to maintain control. That said....as long as you drive conservatively in the rain, you should be fine.

If you're after tread life, a comfy ride, and dont plan on driving in the rain all too often, Toyos are an okay pick.
The following users liked this post:
aniks (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 01:12 PM
spindos
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a set of Michelin PS3 AS+/s. Hopefully they're as good as others claim.
Old 03-26-19, 01:13 PM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Im on Toyo Proxes 4 plus. Tread life is excellent. 14,000 miles on them in staggered format, and I still have a ton of tread left. Very comfortable tire. Not the grippiest, but with every day driving, its perfectly fine.

Wet performance is what concerns me. Ive had moments along the 405 freeway near Six Flags going towards LA where there was standing water from the rain. In my previous 2004 camry on Falken Ziex 950 all seasons, I wouldnt bat an eye. However, these Toyos gave me a poop-staining pants experience several times. I was going with the flow of traffic, but I know better than to over react and was able to maintain control. That said....as long as you drive conservatively in the rain, you should be fine.

If you're after tread life, a comfy ride, and dont plan on driving in the rain all too often, Toyos are an okay pick.
Hahahaaha. A+ for your review.
Old 03-27-19, 06:40 PM
khanhfat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the GS350 with 19" wheels and recently got a set of Falken Azenis f510. I am very happy with them. Although, the weather in Houston are just rain and summer so I can't comment much on snow. I have not yet driving in the rain with new tires so I can't comment much. The info on Falken website can help you out. The ride quality improved drastically with quieter ride, well damped on bumps and the cost is less than Michellin and Bridgestone I had before. I hated the rough ride on my GS350 but these tires make it feel like a different car - comfortable quiet grippy.

Quick Reply: A/S Tire Recommendations