Brand New IS300 AWD with a rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 02:02 PM
Desmoface
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand New IS300 AWD with a rattle

Greetings everyone,

I'm a Lexus newbie, and so far the ownership experience has started off a bit rocky. My wife picked up her new IS 300 AWD, and I have to say, it's quite an impressive little car. The honeymoon was to be short lived, however

She drove the car home, all of 14 miles, and it sits in the garage as my wife works from home. She starts it after a few days only to find the tire warning indicator on. Flat tire. So, I fill it up and check it the next morning only to find that it's slowly losing air. So, off to the dealer who informs me that we picked up a nail - I'm doubting that we picked it up, I suspect it was there when the car was delivered, but anything's possible, so I pay for a new tire to be installed, but what I didn't pay for is the rim to be scratched up.

At any rate, I notice a bit of a rattle when I exit the freeway...the wife notices it too, so back to the dealer, today, as a matter of fact. My Wife takes the service tech for a ride, and he notices it too...So, an hour or so later, the car is back in my Wife's hands, she drives home and it does appear that the rattle is gone. Until, she takes a short ride to the grocery store; it's not gone, and it appears that it rattles whenever she applies the brakes? Weird.

At any rate, she's all disenfranchised with the entire situation and is quickly losing faith in her brand new car.

I originally figured the rattle was a loose heat shield, and I guess I'm a little more forgiving than my wife, as my attitude is, "Chit Happens," I'll withhold judgement until we see how the dealership handles the situation. I'm confident that they will do their best to fix it...but I'm at a loss as to what the rattle could be. My wife seems to think it happens when she applies the brakes...is there some type of pump that may be making this noise? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anyway, glad I found the forum...here she is, right off of the truck

Steve

Last edited by Desmoface; 03-02-19 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 03-02-19, 02:48 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

OP (Steve) - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your wife's IS. Rattles are not extremely common on the IS so I am not sure I can provide you with an answer to your problem but here are a few comments about your post:

1. Your wife's IS sure looks nice - I like the color even though I am usually a white car guy!
2. If its any consolation, my first IS had about 3 nails incident - My 2nd one so far has been free of nails.
3. I would be furious if the dealer damaged my rims - I would try and approach them and see if they can replace it with a new one, but make sure you remain polite and calm
4. I am confident your dealer will find the source of the noise but if not, try another dealer

Keep us posted
Old 03-02-19, 04:15 PM
Desmoface
Driver School Candidate

Hi Wthrman2,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I’ll post updates as they occur. I really like her car, and when/if they fix the rattle I’m certain she will regain the enthusiasm she had when she picked it up. Ironically, she originally wanted a white one, but fell for the Navy Blue. I’m thinking now that she wishes she went for the white one, LOL. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 03-02-19, 04:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Rattles can happen early in the car's life. After a couple of weeks of owning mine, the steering column started emitting a noise. Dealer fixed it, and the issue hasn't happened again. So don't give up on it.

That is interesting that you mention the heat shield being loose. I have been having, intermittently, a mild buzzing sound a low RPMs (around 1000 or so) when the car is cold, for example when slowing down to a stop or pulling off from a stop. I may have to check the heat shield. I have looked at all manner of interior trim pieces but hadn't looked under the hood. Thanks for that idea, I suppose. Best of luck with the new car.
Old 03-02-19, 04:23 PM
Desmoface
Driver School Candidate

Hi Arentz,

Thanks for the welcome; My Wife just I formed me that the mechanic mentioned a shield on the brakes that he tightened.

I’ll post updates as they occur, my Wife is very persistent and particular, which makes me wonder why she married me, LOL.

Steve
Old 03-02-19, 08:48 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I can't advise much on the rattle, but I also got a nail in a tire within 200 miles of taking delivery of my 2019 IS 300 F Sport. Pretty annoying to have to patch / replace a brand new tire!

Make sure they replace the wheel. Do not let them repair it. Sounds like your wife will be good at escalating that issue if necessary and she will get her way if she doesn't take their initial "no" as an answer.
Old 03-03-19, 05:32 AM
Desmoface
Driver School Candidate

Hi Brett,

My wife is very vocal, I just basically turned her loose on the dealership, LOL.

Steve
Old 03-03-19, 08:48 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I can't advise much on the rattle, but I also got a nail in a tire within 200 miles of taking delivery of my 2019 IS 300 F Sport. Pretty annoying to have to patch / replace a brand new tire!

Make sure they replace the wheel. Do not let them repair it. Sounds like your wife will be good at escalating that issue if necessary and she will get her way if she doesn't take their initial "no" as an answer.
Dealer one time damaged my brand new aftermarket wheels when they returned my car. Lexus dealer, different car.

They said if they couldn't fix like new, than they'd replace. They put me in a loaner for a week and I got my car back like-new.

However, this is a brand new car and straight from Lexus with factory wheels. Did they do the damage? I would say new wheel, period.

I get the "chit happens" we'll see how they take care of it attitude.
Old 03-03-19, 09:07 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ I agree with you 100% (brand new wheel period).

As per the statement of shiite happens, I get it, but when that happens, I don't expect someone else to wipe my a$$ (at least I am not yet at that nursing home stage).....So if the dealer created the shiite they need to wipe their mess.
Old 03-04-19, 01:55 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

My weather strip on the drivers side door was "malformed" and on bumps it would cause a rattle. Dealership fixed it and it went away.. but that sound would happen on bumps