IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Latest info on Lexus 4IS powerplant... (hold onto your seats for this one)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 10:49 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
If anything I'd put the ZF 8 Speed (cool read) on par with any Lexus transmission in terms of reliability, if not beyond. ZF is an old classic German company. They also supply legendary suspension and steering components as well. They basically make it all. If you hear of any BMWs with transmission problems in the past, those are usually GM-supplied 4L30E and 5L30E units which didn't have the best track record. Not uncommon for an old ZF to go well beyond 300k without hiccup.

Here's a list of the current customers of the legendary ZF 8 speed.
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Alpina
  • Aston Martin
  • Audi
  • Bentley
  • BMW
  • Chrysler
  • Dodge
  • Haval
  • Iveco
  • Jaguar
  • Jeep
  • Lamborghini
  • Lancia
  • Land Rover
  • Maserati
  • Ram Trucks
  • Rolls-Royce
  • Toyota
  • Volkswagen
Aisin is good too. Believe it or not, some of the BMW FWD models use an Aisin 8 speed if I recall correctly. Everyone is mixing and matching these days. There's no fanboyism there. Only dollars.
doesn't Honda have a huge problem with their 8 speed zf transmission vehicles or is that a 9 speed one?
Old 02-21-19, 11:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
doesn't Honda have a huge problem with their 8 speed zf transmission vehicles or is that a 9 speed one?
Its their 9 speed FWD version that has issues. The 8 speed for RWD / AWD vehicles are awesome.
Old 02-22-19, 05:38 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Id take that ZF over the AISIN just due to the fact the code has been completely cracked on it and the B58 paired to the ZF would mean quick turn around on tuning solutions.
Old 02-26-19, 05:12 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The ZF would be a huge improvement over the 8-speed Lexus uses today. So would an engine with good torque down-low. However the need for more than, say, 350 HP I am very skeptical about. That kind of HP, combined with better torque characteristics, makes for a plenty-fast car, for most people.
Old 02-27-19, 08:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

At those power levels you start breaking stuff. Unless you beef it up.. which costs in weight and money.

I don't think Lexus would go 350 hp on a non-F car. Maybe 315HP?

The reviews are in on the new 3 Series though... that car has a lot of really great features. For example you can set your work location and every time you approach your work place, it turns on the cameras at the exact time you pull up to the driveway. you can see 360 degrees around your car including the curb and the entrance to the driveway. For all you guys who like to lower your cars with wheels.. or stockies alike. this is awesome. if the new IS uses a BMW infotainment system as does the Supra, maybe this can be worked in somehow. or maybe Lexus would develop their own... as they'd need to compete with this.

And that's like 1 out of 20 or so cool new features the new 3 has. Fun video check it out. even if you don't like BMW... this is where these cars kind of have to go. BMW is the benchmark. so lexus is definitely paying attention. possibly a hint of things to come for the 4IS. Lexus has a head start with the 3 coming out earlier..

Old 02-27-19, 09:11 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

The reviews are in on the new 3 Series though... that car has a lot of really great features...

And that's like 1 out of 20 or so cool new features the new 3 has. Fun video check it out. even if you don't like BMW... this is where these cars kind of have to go. BMW is the benchmark. so lexus is definitely paying attention. possibly a hint of things to come for the 4IS.
That's great. But if one really must have a German car, lease then give it back so you can walk away instead of running, and with your wallet still intact.

Seems we're about 2 years from the 4IS, which will be perfect to set the new standard.
Old 02-27-19, 09:58 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Considering Infiniti’s G37 was rolling 330 hp stock. I’d like to see that number at least even if it wasn’t to the wheels.
Old 02-28-19, 09:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

The problem with the G37 (among some of the other problems) is that it's a big thirsty thrashy motor. I remember being a fan of the VQs when I was growing up. Very fast. powerful. micro-finished camshafts (that was the marketing at the time anyway). I was a huge fan. But that tech never changed all the way up til I was an adult. lol. their N/A engines just kind of faded out. Best sounding V6 exhaust though. That signature sound can never come back now with the TT V6.

And to the other comment. Objectively, I wish all the best for Lexus, but besting the 3 as the "new standard" -- highly doubt that's happening. at least not in our lifetimes. that means you'd have to have the tech, gizmos, and powertrains to match. And you can't have that without affecting reliability.

And not to say the 3 is unreliable. It is reliable.

So much so that Toyota has chosen them to carry on their reputation.. and apparently so has Lexus now. =)
Old 02-28-19, 10:28 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

...which is why my co-worker sold his from-new loaded 335i for an NX and has never been happier the past 3+ years. Lexus has NOTHING to fear from German cars,and never has.
Old 02-28-19, 11:20 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

At those power levels you start breaking stuff. Unless you beef it up.. which costs in weight and money.

I don't think Lexus would go 350 hp on a non-F car. Maybe 315HP?

The reviews are in on the new 3 Series though... that car has a lot of really great features. For example you can set your work location and every time you approach your work place, it turns on the cameras at the exact time you pull up to the driveway. you can see 360 degrees around your car including the curb and the entrance to the driveway. For all you guys who like to lower your cars with wheels.. or stockies alike. this is awesome. if the new IS uses a BMW infotainment system as does the Supra, maybe this can be worked in somehow. or maybe Lexus would develop their own... as they'd need to compete with this.

And that's like 1 out of 20 or so cool new features the new 3 has. Fun video check it out. even if you don't like BMW... this is where these cars kind of have to go. BMW is the benchmark. so lexus is definitely paying attention. possibly a hint of things to come for the 4IS. Lexus has a head start with the 3 coming out earlier..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xNNEXLit0A
I watched the video, 360 camera in that car is quite amazing. You can even see the same 360 camera and rotate around from BMW app when you're not even in the car. It's not shown in this video though.
I'm even playing with the thought of ordering M340i, 0-60 around 4.2 sec that's even faster than F80 M3.
Old 02-28-19, 01:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I watched the video, 360 camera in that car is quite amazing. You can even see the same 360 camera and rotate around from BMW app when you're not even in the car. It's not shown in this video though.
I'm even playing with the thought of ordering M340i, 0-60 around 4.2 sec that's even faster than F80 M3.
Love the new 3 Series, though the thought of a BMW built in Mexico seems weird to me. I think the M340i is the one to get.
Old 02-28-19, 01:39 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Love the new 3 Series, though the thought of a BMW built in Mexico seems weird to me. I think the M340i is the one to get.
According to bimmer forum Mexico plant is not up and running and M340 production starts in March so better get in line early for German build ones.
Old 02-28-19, 01:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
According to bimmer forum Mexico plant is not up and running and M340 production starts in March so better get in line early for German build ones.
A workaround! I like it!
Old 02-28-19, 02:25 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

The problem with the G37 (among some of the other problems) is that it's a big thirsty thrashy motor. I remember being a fan of the VQs when I was growing up. Very fast. powerful. micro-finished camshafts (that was the marketing at the time anyway). I was a huge fan. But that tech never changed all the way up til I was an adult. lol. their N/A engines just kind of faded out. Best sounding V6 exhaust though. That signature sound can never come back now with the TT V6.

And to the other comment. Objectively, I wish all the best for Lexus, but besting the 3 as the "new standard" -- highly doubt that's happening. at least not in our lifetimes. that means you'd have to have the tech, gizmos, and powertrains to match. And you can't have that without affecting reliability.

So much so that Toyota has chosen them to carry on their reputation.. and apparently so has Lexus now. =)
id say the same about the 2gr-fse, sounds bad idling, kinda thrashy and a pig on gas. For 2006 when it was first used it would have been an unbelievable engine for the time...Does have a nice growl though... I’ve driven a vq35 and vq37 and would say they all could be described as that. I wonder why Toyota didn’t stick with the 2jz engines...literally one of the most legendary motors ever. They had the 2jz-GE & 2jz-fse they could have kept developing, maybe bore out for natutally aspirated applications they would eventually put the 2gr-fe in...they could have furthur developed and used the 2jz-gte and used it where they put the 2gr-fse in. Especially now that they are using a 3.5TT engine, I just don’t get why they didn’t stick to these awesome naturally aspirated and boosted inline 6’s instead of spending all the money on research & development and stuff on the 2gr-fe, fse & the new 3.5 TT they have,
Old 02-28-19, 03:01 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

id say the same about the 2gr-fse, sounds bad idling, kinda thrashy and a pig on gas. For 2006 when it was first used it would have been an unbelievable engine for the time...Does have a nice growl though... I’ve driven a vq35 and vq37 and would say they all could be described as that. I wonder why Toyota didn’t stick with the 2jz engines...literally one of the most legendary motors ever. They had the 2jz-GE & 2jz-fse they could have kept developing, maybe bore out for natutally aspirated applications they would eventually put the 2gr-fe in...they could have furthur developed and used the 2jz-gte and used it where they put the 2gr-fse in. Especially now that they are using a 3.5TT engine, I just don’t get why they didn’t stick to these awesome naturally aspirated and boosted inline 6’s instead of spending all the money on research & development and stuff on the 2gr-fe, fse & the new 3.5 TT they have,
They can build it on a V-6 block, which is better for packaging in transverse applications like the RX and ES. If they developed an inline 6, it would be unusable for such cars, and they don't have longitudinally-mounted-engine replacements for those on the way. So, I suspect it was down to reducing engine development costs.

Quick Reply: Latest info on Lexus 4IS powerplant... (hold onto your seats for this one)