IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 3IS has a unique smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 12:55 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine still has hints of new car smell and it had been on the lot for 6 months when I took delivery. I was apparently the only one who wanted an Atomic Silver 350 with red guts and no trunk spoiler.

The older Benz cars smell a little like the glue that holds down the package shelf cover. It's not a bad smell.

My IS does not smell funny.
Old 02-06-19, 01:27 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I love the smell of mine. It has retained that new car smell better than most actual leather interior cars I've owned. Maybe that's the smell that you're referring to, but it just smells like new car to me.
Old 02-06-19, 01:54 PM
Thesickest
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Mine still has hints of new car smell and it had been on the lot for 6 months when I took delivery. I was apparently the only one who wanted an Atomic Silver 350 with red guts and no trunk spoiler.

The older Benz cars smell a little like the glue that holds down the package shelf cover. It's not a bad smell.

that’s weird atomic silver with red guts is dope. The dealer that sold me mine said that the color combo is rare that’s why I got it.(then again maybe he was just tryna sell it)

but back to the topic at hand I have noticed a hint of grape but wasn’t sure if it was the interior cleaner the detailer uses.
either way I’m winning lol
Old 02-06-19, 02:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,501 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by link13

I'd never say it smelled funny either, but maybe a slightly different "new car smell" compared to others.

Btw, I also have the same color combo. I'd say it's probably one of the best. The red is unique, and Atomic Silver goes nicely with the F Sport wheels. I test-drove an Atomic Silver one with a black interior, and I didn't like it nearly as much.
Old 02-06-19, 02:53 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody remember the smell of the late 80s-90s Toyotas? Those will always stick out in my mind and bring back a lot of memories.
Old 02-06-19, 03:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Does anybody remember the smell of the late 80s-90s Toyotas? Those will always stick out in my mind and bring back a lot of memories.
I do! I remember when my folks bought their 89 Camry. I remember the scent to this day.
Old 02-06-19, 04:47 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Come to think of it i wonder if the smell i am smelling is unique to the red interior. i have the red interior. for those smelling grape is your interior red or black? or some other color. the plot thickens. lol

I notice the 3IS windows "fog" up fast with residue. could be off-gassing from the plastics and rubbers still.
Old 02-06-19, 05:12 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Come to think of it i wonder if the smell i am smelling is unique to the red interior. i have the red interior. for those smelling grape is your interior red or black? or some other color. the plot thickens. lol

I notice the 3IS windows "fog" up fast with residue. could be off-gassing from the plastics and rubbers still.
I have the red interior and no smell. Again only "new car" smell. Perhaps it's just a synthetic smell that is appealing to some senses and odd smelling to others? I found that it off-gassed (is that a word? Lol) almost immediately (which I cleaned very thoroughly, and it has never come back. My wife's 2017 CX-9 is crazy...I honestly have to clean the interior windows every few months because of off-gassing! Really annoying.
Old 02-06-19, 06:23 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

probably gonna get hate for this, but my car smells like walking into abercrombie 😂
Old 02-07-19, 06:55 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Come to think of it i wonder if the smell i am smelling is unique to the red interior. i have the red interior. for those smelling grape is your interior red or black? or some other color.
No, because mine isn't red. I think they call it light grey, it's really closer to white though. I haven't seen many with this interior color.

The following users liked this post:
E46CT (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 08:14 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
No, because mine isn't red. I think they call it light grey, it's really closer to white though. I haven't seen many with this interior color.

i have this color, too! i love it -- it's a bit unique with the 3is.
Old 02-07-19, 08:34 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This is much deeper than you think. Each manufacturer has their own smell, and they stick to it like crazy. The human sense of smell is right by the memory center in the brain, and don't think for a second the manufacturers don't know it, and use it. Toyota has changed a bit over the years, as has Honda, and Ford, and so on, but much of the original smells remain. It used to be the chemical out-gassing, but no more, it's literally added to the glues and dyes.

Next time you find yourself near a Ford dealership, sit in a Mustang, then go set in a Transit Connect (made in Turkey), and you'll know immediately it's not a Ford product just by the smell.
Old 02-07-19, 08:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

^I don't doubt it. I've noticed certain brands like BMW and Ford have unique smells. I wonder how consistent they are though cause both my CTs (2015 and 2016) smell way different than the IS. They smell like normal cars. almost like nothing. The CT is said to be made of eco-friendly materials though. Maybe that has something to do with it. I would imagine supplier has a lot to do with it too and just the particular chemical cocktail used in the manufacturering, dyes, processes, etc.

if you ever sit in a BMW E46, it's the only BMW to smell like crayons. the smell comes from the trunk insulation. pulled some off one day and sniffed it--whooooooooooooooo strong.
Old 02-07-19, 08:53 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

My car has black interior, and the smell you describe. And yes, the residue is common among all new cars, and is out-gassing. But the smell isn't just the glue/dyes, it's an additive.
Old 02-07-19, 08:58 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Much of the smell, and out-gassing residue on the windshield of my Lotus came from the dash. Once it was replaced with a CF version I never had to clean the windshield again.

Quick Reply: The 3IS has a unique smell