IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Differences between a 2016 IS 200t F Sport vs a 2017 IS 200t F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 07:47 AM
mangotoast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between a 2016 IS 200t F Sport vs a 2017 IS 200t F Sport?

My dealer has the 2016 and the 2017 and I'm in the market for a car. The IS 200t would definitely be a super upgrade to what I'm currently driving and I just love the looks of the IS. I'm wondering what the biggest difference is between the two years? Anything in particular I should be aware of if I decide to purchase an IS 200t? I think I saw a video talking about the stock tires not being that great? Is this true? Any guidance and info is appreciated to help me into the world of Lexus
Old 01-27-19, 07:53 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mangotoast
My dealer has the 2016 and the 2017 and I'm in the market for a car. The IS 200t would definitely be a super upgrade to what I'm currently driving and I just love the looks of the IS. I'm wondering what the biggest difference is between the two years? Anything in particular I should be aware of if I decide to purchase an IS 200t? I think I saw a video talking about the stock tires not being that great? Is this true? Any guidance and info is appreciated to help me into the world of Lexus
The biggest thing is that 2017 is the mid-cycle refresh year. So you get updated front bumper, headlights, tail lights, exhaust tips, interior updates, and a larger infotainment screen.
The following users liked this post:
mangotoast (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 08:39 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Car eats tires, fronts especially, be mindful of that. I have now bought 3 sets of new tires in less than 30k miles. Two sets bought for the front and one for the rear... design flaw and Toyota has still not fixed even with the facelift.
mangotoast (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 08:50 AM
mangotoast
Driver School Candidate

Wow that seems like a big deal...not sure I want to deal with that. Damn this is bumming me out. Thought I found my next new car to drive.

Anyone else want to chime in on how many tires they've gone through so far?
Old 01-27-19, 10:01 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ Well, I have to agree that the tire wear (especially the fronts) is an actual thing. That being said, no car is perfect and I would rather have a car that is reliable and that I really like over settling for something else and then always regretting that I didn't get what I wanted. As EXE46 indicated, the 2017 is the year in which the MMC was applied so there are a few cosmetic changes but from a mechanical point of view, it is the same car. I would just pick the one that is more pleasing to the eye for you and don't look back....
mangotoast (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 10:32 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

RCF/GSF bushings or Poly bushings will help the inner tire wear.
mangotoast (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 10:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Car eats tires, fronts especially, be mindful of that. I have now bought 3 sets of new tires in less than 30k miles. Two sets bought for the front and one for the rear... design flaw and Toyota has still not fixed even with the facelift.
3 sets in 30K? That doesn't sound like it's just due to the suspension design. Sure they wear quickly due to the dynamic toe, but you should be able to get 15k-20k on a single set.

You also didn't say what kind of tires, which is very important to their rate of wear. Obviously if you keep buying the terrible OEM tires, they will wear quickly.
Old 01-27-19, 01:22 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold

The biggest thing is that 2017 is the mid-cycle refresh year. So you get updated front bumper, headlights, tail lights, exhaust tips, interior updates, and a larger infotainment screen.
Are the 2019 tail lights the same as the 2017 year as well? Personally I like the 2014-2016 tail lights the best, they look to be the most aggressive.

Old 01-27-19, 02:02 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Are the 2019 tail lights the same as the 2017 year as well? Personally I like the 2014-2016 tail lights the best, they look to be the most aggressive.

Yes '19 are the same as '17. Personal preference I guess...I like the 17+ better.
Old 01-27-19, 02:26 PM
mangotoast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
3 sets in 30K? That doesn't sound like it's just due to the suspension design. Sure they wear quickly due to the dynamic toe, but you should be able to get 15k-20k on a single set.

You also didn't say what kind of tires, which is very important to their rate of wear. Obviously if you keep buying the terrible OEM tires, they will wear quickly.
What tires do you suggest? I'm in Dallas. Pretty much just rain here with some chances of icy roads during the winter.
Old 01-27-19, 03:13 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

I love the look of the new exhaust tips on the 2017 refresh. Is it possible to replace this on a 2016 IS?
Old 01-27-19, 03:13 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold

Just to touch on this a bit more. The obvious difference is the revised front end. Headlights took some cues from the GS, grille got reshaped and some other obvious differences. The chrome around the grille is dark chrome of the F Sport.

Tail lamps have already been posted. The forum seems super divided on tail lamps, oddly. I prefer the 17-19 tail lamps. The rear lower diffuser takes some cues from the F Sport spindle grille. the exhaust tips are squared off.

Interior gets the RC steering wheel, updated radio, updated knee bolsters, and the display is larger on navigation models. Cup holders are a tad larger and have a cut between them to allow storage of a large phone.

The suspension was seriously overhauled for 2017. It's essentially a GS suspension bolted onto the IS. Here is an official document:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...afety-tech.htm

Last edited by BrettKA7; 01-28-19 at 11:13 AM.
mangotoast (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 03:31 PM
mangotoast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
Just to touch on this a bit more. The obvious difference is the revised front end. Headlights took some cues from the GS, grille got reshaped and refused, and some other obvious differences. The chrome around the grille is dark chrome of the F Sport.

Tail lamps have already been posted. The forum seems super divided on tail lamps, oddly. I prefer the 17-19 tail lamps. The rear lower diffuser takes some cues from the F Sport spindle grille. the exhaust tips are squared off.

Interior gets the RC steering wheel, updated radio, updated knee bolsters, and the display is larger on navigation models. Cup holders are a tad larger and have a cut between them to allow storage of a large phone.

The suspension was seriously overhauled for 2017. It's essentially a GS suspension bolted onto the IS. Here is an official document:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...afety-tech.htm
So all of the IS models got refreshed in 2017?

Does anyone use the navigation software that comes with the car? Or do you guys just defer to the phone for Google Maps?
Old 01-27-19, 03:35 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mangotoast
So all of the IS models got refreshed in 2017?

Does anyone use the navigation software that comes with the car? Or do you guys just defer to the phone for Google Maps?
The official press release only addresses F Sport from what I was able to see. Maybe someone else in here can further advise there?

I personally use google maps and had no interest in Lexus' navigation system.
mangotoast (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 04:51 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
The official press release only addresses F Sport from what I was able to see. Maybe someone else in here can further advise there?

I personally use google maps and had no interest in Lexus' navigation system.
Google Maps as well. The Lexus Nav is basically for saying you have navigation... Pain to use and to enter addresses, just a clunky UI to be honest.

Quick Reply: Differences between a 2016 IS 200t F Sport vs a 2017 IS 200t F Sport?