ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Fuel pump buzz/noise? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/908764-fuel-pump-buzz-noise.html)

VisualEcho 01-12-19 06:15 AM

Fuel pump buzz/noise?

Hey guys, went out to the garage this morning and heard a loud buzzing sound. After searching around a bit I found that it was coming from the gas tank area of my '18 350 F Sport. I started the car up and it the sound immediately stopped, and hasn't returned. The only thing I can think of is fuel pump. Any ideas what it could possibly be before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any information.

JDR76 01-12-19 07:02 AM

Suggest a search here or in your owners manual as it’s covered in both places. Nothing is wrong with your car.

Burrcold 01-12-19 07:24 AM

Owners manual:

Noise from under vehicle after turning of the engine
Approximately 5 hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.

VisualEcho 01-12-19 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by JDR76 (Post 10407370)
Suggest a search here or in your owners manual as it’s covered in both places. Nothing is wrong with your car.

I did a search, but I guess I was using the wrong search terms.

And the owners manual, that's funny, I could probably find the answer in the next year or so.

If you don't want to help, please don't.

Originally Posted by Burrcold (Post 10407382)
Owners manual:

Noise from under vehicle after turning of the engine
Approximately 5 hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.

Thank you sir.

wthrman2 01-12-19 08:25 AM

OP - Burrcold already beat me to it but yeah, nothing wrong and mine does that too :)

VisualEcho 01-12-19 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by wthrman2 (Post 10407430)
OP - Burrcold already beat me to it but yeah, nothing wrong and mine does that too :)

This car and its damn weird noises and quirks.

wthrman2 01-12-19 08:57 AM

^^ LMAO - Well, I have been known to have my own quirks and emit various sounds from my orifices, but I ain't not Lexus!!

JDR76 01-13-19 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by VisualEcho (Post 10407392)
I did a search, but I guess I was using the wrong search terms.

And the owners manual, that's funny, I could probably find the answer in the next year or so.

If you don't want to help, please don't.

I told you that nothing is wrong with your car and where to look for this frequently covered topic. Sorry if you thought that was not helpful.

E46CT 01-14-19 08:11 AM

I've been around here long enough to know JDR is one of the good guys. (although he's wrong on there being a new GS) ;)

As said, that's normal and typical for any car to some extent and degree. I know some older BMWs would do the same thing with an ABS self check when the car is off and when the car is running. My CT makes noises when off to pressurize the brake booster

in all cars, when you turn the key, the fuel pump pressurizes too.

I know we get a lot of "my lexus is making noise threads" but there's probably going to be few instances, if any, where any new lexus product makes any abnormal noise. the parts are perfected for the most part (no pun intended) and come from extremely high quality suppliers. very rarely will anyone here actually experience an actual defect. Once in a blue moon. 99.998% chance everything everyone experiences and posts about as a "problem" is completely normal. Cars are cars and are allowed to make car noises. So much violent stuff takes place inside a car. tons of blunt metal parts, buzzers, actuators, servos, motors, valves, sensors, pumps, accumulators, pulleys, bla bla bla. they have to emit some noise.

edit: the most likely "not supposed to be that way" noise you'll ever here in your lexus (aside from the result of wear/tear/age) is interior squeaks and rattles

VisualEcho 01-14-19 08:43 AM

I'm 48 and have had 16 cars. This is the first with such a noise, but I suppose that's technology (and emissions). The fuel pump prime in my Lotus is quite audible, and I wait for it to stop before starting the car, but that's a rare exception. Some of the engine sounds of this car are weird as well, and not particularly good IMO. It is what it is, and it'll be that way until my son is old enough that I don't have to own a 4-door as my daily.

E46CT 01-14-19 08:46 AM

Perhaps the car for you is a Tesla. LOL (not a bad thing, I WANT a tesla)

But yeah i don't know if you ever had BMWs, you'd swear there was a civilization of robots hiding in the car. constant self-checking. buzzes galore. way more than my new Lexuses. tons of stuff going on in the background in those cars. The IS is one of the quieter, non-buzzy cars i've owned. If you had a 200t, you'd hear even more noises with the boost being recycled into the intake tract, the turbo boost itself, and the waste gate rattle at startup and taking off.

VisualEcho 01-14-19 09:04 AM

Not a BMW fan, other than looks. I've always hated their interiors, and the way they smell. Some weird German uncomfortable/smelly thing. I'm an 80's kid, so Japanese cars are much more appealing to me. And the quality is just so much better with a Japanese car. My past cars include...

- RX-7
- MR-2
- Starion ESiR
- MX-5
- S2000
- STi

Etc.

E46CT 01-14-19 10:41 AM

No love for the iconic E46 M3 even? One of the greatest cars including automotive interiors ever conceived by man. I owned an E46 back in the day brand new. The materials were intoxicating. Rich. Supple. I have no idea how they made any profit on that car. But BMW interiors since haven't been the same. The E46 and E39 were the pinnacle of BMW design. I don't know if any BMW, or any car for that matter can ever be as legendary and pure as the CSL.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...c640f0cba4.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...38f60f0d8d.jpg

VisualEcho 01-14-19 11:16 AM

Yeah, the E46 will always hold a special place in my heart, but it would definitely need to have the alcantara interior.

Make mine an Imola over black CSL.

E46CT 01-14-19 12:44 PM

did they make an imola CSL? Or we talking BMW individual? I thought CSL only came in black and gray. I agree though imola is a fantastic color.

I'd pick mine in classic gray. I'd wish for a 6 speed manual but beggars can't be choosy.