IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3rd gen quirks

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 09:55 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay89
I wish there was a way to turn on and off the adaptive cruise part of the cruise control.

traction control, turns off only briefly, and must be at pretty much standstill to turn it off. That's annoying to me

memory seats. It's kinda stupid that it's not included with the price considering pretty much all its competitors have it standard. I mean, my 04 bmw had it.

digital clock on the cluster would be nice.

remote start takeover, apparently viper systems dont have this issue.

apple carplay/android auto

rear seat heaters. If they're putting it in something like a kia or Hyundai, it should be on a Lexus.
agreed on CarPlay. My 2019 IS is one of the only 2019s without it

the 2019 IS does have a digital clock on the cluster at least.
Old 12-05-18, 10:14 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay89
I wish there was a way to turn on and off the adaptive cruise part of the cruise control.

traction control, turns off only briefly, and must be at pretty much standstill to turn it off. That's annoying to me.
Jay, it sounds like two of your problems can be solved by simply holding the button rather than pressing it. If you hold the cruise control button on the end of the lever, it switches from ACC to just normal. The symbol will pop up differently as well. And for traction control, if you hold the button it will stay off until you press it again, or at least that's what I've done.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlazeL:
Jay89 (12-06-18), VisualEcho (12-05-18)
Old 12-05-18, 10:22 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I purchased my '18 350 AWD F Sport this past October, and there are a bunch of things on the car I consider to be weird. I'm coming from a 2007 Acura TL BTW.

My wipers and headlights seem fine, although I much prefer HID to LED.

Here's my list of what I think is weird.

1. The car should have the option of memory seats, and at a bare minimum, auto-tilt side mirrors.
2. The car should at least have the option of some small, body-color mud flaps.
3. I think the start button is in a weird place, and I find myself frequently hitting the wiper stalk reaching for it.
4. The AWD trans tunnel bump is weird for sure.
5. The wheels are extremely heavy, even for factory wheels, and the tire choice was just terrible.
6. The front brake calipers should say 'Lexus' or 'F Sport' on them, as they look extremely plain without a logo. You can even tell that the big flat spot on top was made for a logo.
7. The additional front wheel fender gap is going to be a pain in my **** because I really don't want to lower the rear.
8. The engine sound itself is a bit weird to me.
9. The whole infotainment system is complete fail IMO.
10. The finish on the F Sport volume and tune buttons is completely out of place. I ordered the standard version.
11. The push-to-open gas door is weird, as is where the cap sits.
12. I should be able to lock the drive mode so that when I start the car next, it's in that mode. But I can't.
13. The outside of the car is obviously bigger than my old TL, but the inside is obviously smaller. Weird.
14. The Mark Levnison stereo is literally made for CD's (MP3/4 doesn't have the dynamic range to take full advantage of it).
15. The fact that Toyota knows the car eats tires and hasn't come up with a good solution while preserving the handling is a bit weird.

If I had a choice between a new, 2008 Acura TL Type S or this new 2018 IS350 AWD F Sport, I'd choose the Acura. It's just a shame that the new TLX hasn't evolved as well as I wanted it to.

Having said all these things, I like the styling of the IS, the reliability, the QUIET, the soft ride, the steering wheel, the gauges, and the fact that I can fit a 10" rear wheel out back with a 275 on it.

It was the best choice for the moment.
Old 12-05-18, 11:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho

1. The car should have the option of memory seats, and at a bare minimum, auto-tilt side mirrors.

10. The finish on the F Sport volume and tune buttons is completely out of place. I ordered the standard version.

12. I should be able to lock the drive mode so that when I start the car next, it's in that mode. But I can't.

13. The outside of the car is obviously bigger than my old TL, but the inside is obviously smaller. Weird.
1. Memory seats are an available option. Part of the Comfort Package.

10. What are "F Sport volume and tune *****"? Do you mean the ceramic ML *****, which are a hallmark of ML systems?

12. Blame the EPA for this. Common across all makers because they have to do the fuel mileage consumption tests based on the most aggressive mode the car can start in. If Lexus allowed us to start in a Sport mode, they would have had to publish those mileage numbers, which they don't want to do.

13. The IS is smaller than the TL.

2018 Lexus IS LxWxH
184x71x56

2008 Acura TL LxWxH
190x72x57
Old 12-05-18, 11:12 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
1. Memory seats are an available option. Part of the Comfort Package.

10. What are "F Sport volume and tune *****"? Do you mean the ceramic ML *****, which are a hallmark of ML systems?

12. Blame the EPA for this. Common across all makers because they have to do the fuel mileage consumption tests based on the most aggressive mode the car can start in. If Lexus allowed us to start in a Sport mode, they would have had to publish those mileage numbers, which they don't want to do.

2018 Lexus IS LxWxH
184x71x56

2008 Acura TL LxWxH
190x72x57
They aren't an option on the F Sport in the USA.
Ceramic *****, great, I hate them.
Then the EPA sucks, who knew?
I hate to say this, but something has to be wrong with those figures. I have parked my 2007 TL in my garage for 11 years, I know for certain the IS takes up more space. It's skinnier, but longer, and a LOT less interior space.
Old 12-05-18, 11:13 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I purchased my '18 350 AWD F Sport this past October, and there are a bunch of things on the car I consider to be weird. I'm coming from a 2007 Acura TL BTW.

My wipers and headlights seem fine, although I much prefer HID to LED.

Here's my list of what I think is weird.

2. The car should at least have the option of some small, body-color mud flaps.
3. I think the start button is in a weird place, and I find myself frequently hitting the wiper stalk reaching for it.
4. The AWD trans tunnel bump is weird for sure.
5. The wheels are extremely heavy, even for factory wheels, and the tire choice was just terrible.
6. The front brake calipers should say 'Lexus' or 'F Sport' on them, as they look extremely plain without a logo. You can even tell that the big flat spot on top was made for a logo.
7. The additional front wheel fender gap is going to be a pain in my **** because I really don't want to lower the rear.
8. The engine sound itself is a bit weird to me.
9. The whole infotainment system is complete fail IMO.
11. The push-to-open gas door is weird, as is where the cap sits.
14. The Mark Levnison stereo is literally made for CD's (MP3/4 doesn't have the dynamic range to take full advantage of it).
15. The fact that Toyota knows the car eats tires and hasn't come up with a good solution while preserving the handling is a bit weird.

If I had a choice between a new, 2008 Acura TL Type S or this new 2018 IS350 AWD F Sport, I'd choose the Acura. It's just a shame that the new TLX hasn't evolved as well as I wanted it to.

Having said all these things, I like the styling of the IS, the reliability, the QUIET, the soft ride, the steering wheel, the gauges, and the fact that I can fit a 10" rear wheel out back with a 275 on it.

It was the best choice for the moment.
did you drive the TLX sh-AWD also? I’ve owned a third gen TL-S before and overall, the interior quality of the Lexus IS superior in my experience. Acura leather is way to thin - I’d be surprised if it isn’t split leather. The lower dash panels and lower door panels were nicer in the Acura though.
Old 12-05-18, 11:20 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BrettKA7

did you drive the TLX sh-AWD also? I’ve owned a third gen TL-S before and overall, the interior quality of the Lexus IS superior in my experience. Acura leather is way to thin - I’d be surprised if it isn’t split leather. The lower dash panels and lower door panels were nicer in the Acura though.
Yeah, I drove the top model. It was nearly as loud as my old TL, and about the same as our '15 RDX, but not nearly as quiet as the IS. I don't like the style of the dash in the IS, it's very barrier-like, but other than that, the IS gets the nod from me.
Old 12-05-18, 11:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

They aren't an option on the F Sport in the USA.
Yes they are. Added as an option in 17 or 18 as I recall.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6418/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8577/overview/

Last edited by JDR76; 12-05-18 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 11:25 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

2018 Lexus IS LxWxH
184x71x56

2008 Acura TL LxWxH
190x72x57
Just double checked the numbers, and you are correct. But I'm telling you, the TL took up less space in the garage, not even a question. And I mean, it's not even close.

The cool thing is that I gave my TL to my daughter. Next warm day she's over I'm going to park them both inside and see what the frik is going on!
Old 12-05-18, 11:27 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

No, they are not sir. 2018 IS350 AWD F Sport cannot get the memory seats in the USA. If you don't believe me, or all the guys lamenting this fact, call the dealer sir .
Old 12-05-18, 11:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Just double checked the numbers, and you are correct. But I'm telling you, the TL took up less space in the garage, not even a question. And I mean, it's not even close.

The cool thing is that I gave my TL to my daughter. Next warm day she's over I'm going to park them both inside and see what the frik is going on!
How many miles did you put on your TL? I loved the ones like you had. Almost bought one for my wife several years ago but she ended up going with the TSX.
Old 12-05-18, 11:39 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I like that red stitched arm rest for the joystick in that link posted.... Can I retro fit it to my 2014?
Old 12-05-18, 11:47 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

How many miles did you put on your TL? I loved the ones like you had. Almost bought one for my wife several years ago but she ended up going with the TSX.
117,000. Standard issues, motor mounts, alternator, nothing else. I really miss that car.

The following 2 users liked this post by VisualEcho:
JDR76 (12-05-18), momak (03-27-20)
Old 12-05-18, 12:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

No, they are not sir. 2018 IS350 AWD F Sport cannot get the memory seats in the USA. If you don't believe me, or all the guys lamenting this fact, call the dealer sir .
This is getting interesting. I've been digging further. I can find several listings out there of 2018 F Sports with the memory seats, like the ones I posted. Lexus revised the packages for 2018 and came up with the Comfort Package, which includes both the memory seats and the dipping mirrors. The 2018 sheet does not exclude this package from the F Sport, and again, I find listings with it. But for 2019, I don't see the Comfort Package listed. Hmmm...
The following users liked this post:
Volcom (12-14-18)
Old 12-05-18, 12:48 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

This is getting interesting. I've been digging further. I can find several listings out there of 2018 F Sports with the memory seats, like the ones I posted. Lexus revised the packages for 2018 and came up with the Comfort Package, which includes both the memory seats and the dipping mirrors. The 2018 sheet does not exclude this package from the F Sport, and again, I find listings with it. But for 2019, I don't see the Comfort Package listed. Hmmm...
Well, I won't claim to be an authority on the subject, but I just bought my car, and the dealer clearly told me that the 350 AWD F Sport did not have the memory seat option.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen quirks