IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thinking of buying a Manufacturer Buyback IS 200T

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 04:08 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of buying a Manufacturer Buyback IS 200T

I found this private dealer down the road from my house that specializes in manufacturer buybacks. According to the salesman, most of their vehicles are from California, where consumer rights are super picky, and consumers can make manufacturers buyback their no longer wanted vehicles for trivial reasons.

This is the car I'm looking at: 2016 Lexus IS 200T F-Sport

I test drove the car and it drove well. I didn't notice anything weird or different that stood out. However, this was my first time driving an IS.

The salesman I've been working with have been very cooperative in providing me with whatever information I needed. He also allowed me to take a long detour on the test drive. When I asked about a potential overnight, he said they, the dealer, don't allow it. Also, if I wanted to get it inspected by a mechanic, I would have to set up an appointment and they would drop off the vehicle. I called Lexus and asked if they perform any specific pre-purchase inspections for buyback vehicles, covering the problems the vehicle was returned for, and they said no. They have a set guideline they follow and the areas they check are already predetermined by the guideline.

Here is the Carfax Report.

I have attached the PDF of the 1. Lemon Law Notice for Reacquired Vehicles and 2. California Warranty Buyback Notice for anyone that would like to take a look.

The two repairs performed on the vehicle throughout the ownership seems to be:
  1. Replacement of the turbo control valve on the right side of the engine - 1/31/17
  2. Front break rotors replacement - 6/15/17

There are 11 problems total reported by the owner and 8 of them are dismissed by the dealer as meeting manufacturer specifications. There is one problem that seems to have been ignored and that is number 7. Hesitation when accelerating or coasting - 2/23/17. As stated in the report, nothing has been done; not even an inspection.

Looking at the carfax report, the vehicle seems to have been reacquired by the manufacturer on 2/8/2018. However, taking a look at the California Warranty Buyback Notice, I don't see anything for that date. The only thing on the report that took place after the reacquisition is on the 4/26/18 for Engine Hesitation. I'm guessing this is what the owner brought up as a problem for the manufacturer to buy it back?

I honestly am not experienced dealing with manufacturer buybacks. Am I missing anything crucial so far? Does this vehicle look like a consumer law abuse by the dissatisfied consumer?

I'm guessing the rotor replacement is nothing to worry about since it was replaced and even if it goes bad, it is not a mechanical part and replacing it would be cheap in both labor and parts cost?

What about the Turbo Control Valve replacement? Is this a fix it and be done with kind of problem? Or should I be worried about this problem resurfacing later down the road? Does 200T have issues with its turbo?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
G5011179_(1).pdf (101.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: pdf
G5011179-2_(1).pdf (57.4 KB, 195 views)
Old 10-16-18, 05:49 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantality
I found this private dealer down the road from my house that specializes in manufacturer buybacks. According to the salesman, most of their vehicles are from California, where consumer rights are super picky, and consumers can make manufacturers buyback their no longer wanted vehicles for trivial reasons.

This is the car I'm looking at: 2016 Lexus IS 200T F-Sport

I test drove the car and it drove well. I didn't notice anything weird or different that stood out. However, this was my first time driving an IS.

The salesman I've been working with have been very cooperative in providing me with whatever information I needed. He also allowed me to take a long detour on the test drive. When I asked about a potential overnight, he said they, the dealer, don't allow it. Also, if I wanted to get it inspected by a mechanic, I would have to set up an appointment and they would drop off the vehicle. I called Lexus and asked if they perform any specific pre-purchase inspections for buyback vehicles, covering the problems the vehicle was returned for, and they said no. They have a set guideline they follow and the areas they check are already predetermined by the guideline.

Here is the Carfax Report.

I have attached the PDF of the 1. Lemon Law Notice for Reacquired Vehicles and 2. California Warranty Buyback Notice for anyone that would like to take a look.

The two repairs performed on the vehicle throughout the ownership seems to be:
  1. Replacement of the turbo control valve on the right side of the engine - 1/31/17
  2. Front break rotors replacement - 6/15/17

There are 11 problems total reported by the owner and 8 of them are dismissed by the dealer as meeting manufacturer specifications. There is one problem that seems to have been ignored and that is number 7. Hesitation when accelerating or coasting - 2/23/17. As stated in the report, nothing has been done; not even an inspection.

Looking at the carfax report, the vehicle seems to have been reacquired by the manufacturer on 2/8/2018. However, taking a look at the California Warranty Buyback Notice, I don't see anything for that date. The only thing on the report that took place after the reacquisition is on the 4/26/18 for Engine Hesitation. I'm guessing this is what the owner brought up as a problem for the manufacturer to buy it back?

I honestly am not experienced dealing with manufacturer buybacks. Am I missing anything crucial so far? Does this vehicle look like a consumer law abuse by the dissatisfied consumer?

I'm guessing the rotor replacement is nothing to worry about since it was replaced and even if it goes bad, it is not a mechanical part and replacing it would be cheap in both labor and parts cost?

What about the Turbo Control Valve replacement? Is this a fix it and be done with kind of problem? Or should I be worried about this problem resurfacing later down the road? Does 200T have issues with its turbo?
The turbo boost regulator has gone bad for a lot of owners and it’s been replaced under warranty. It’s not an expensive replacement or part.
The following users liked this post:
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 09:52 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

I've been through 4 vacuum regulators but due to the aftermarket performance parts on my car i refused to take it into the dealer. The part cost around $100 and i changed them myself.
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 11:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheddy
I've been through 4 vacuum regulators but due to the aftermarket performance parts on my car i refused to take it into the dealer. The part cost around $100 and i changed them myself.
sounds like a design flaw. Its not like the 4 banger turbo is good anyway. Can't even get reliability right. sad...
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 11:48 AM
fxturbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car is really ugly. Looks like a prius.
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 01:22 PM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fxturbo
the car is really ugly. Looks like a prius.
lol wut???
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 05:17 PM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon
lol wut???
my exact reaction lol
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 05:52 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by truu
my exact reaction lol
3rdsies... lol
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 06:16 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
sounds like a design flaw. Its not like the 4 banger turbo is good anyway. Can't even get reliability right. sad...
The vacuum regulator is made in Germany too

Prius? You’re thinking of the CT200h
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-17-18, 06:36 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

I'm guessing no one has experience with buyback vehicles?
Old 10-19-18, 08:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Yep. Sounds like your average Corolla buyer bought an IS.

The hesitation acceleration thing is just the turbo regulator valve. there's a revised part#. i have a 16 200t too and my original is still good. cheap part

And the rotors.. cmon. wear and tear.

Both are nothing to worry about.

Buy it.
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 10-19-18, 09:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheddy

The vacuum regulator is made in Germany too

Prius? You’re thinking of the CT200h
It's made in Germany like the ones in all other german turbo cars... which do not have a problem with the regulator. Appears from exterior to be the same exact part used in the 328i/330i. Remember manufacturers will often provide specs and ask a manufacturer to build it. So whatever BMW requested is working better than what Toyota requested. Could be the way Toyota routed the vacuum lines causing soot. Could be the location they placed it in (somewhere hot)... could be a lot of things TOYOTA did wrong.

And any time anyone bad mouths germany, BMW, etc, just remember who Toyota chose to power their latest flagship sports car. =) I'm a fan of both brands obviously so going to call it like it is. I do the same for Lexus over at BMW forums =P
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 11-06-18, 03:14 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Hey guys,

I'm still trying to decide whether I should buy this car or not.

Are manufacturers, which in this instance is Lexus, required by law to fix whatever problem the vehicle was bought back for before re-releasing it into the market?

How can I obtain the reason for buyback if the dealership that bought it back refuses to release information to a non-owner?

The private dealer that has this car provided me with the buyback notice. However, I can't really pinpoint for what exact reason the vehicle was bought back for. The salesman told me the vehicle was bought back for all the problems reported by the owner throughout the ownership(which is listed on the buyback notice) but 80% of them are dismissed as fitting manufacturer standard.
Old 11-06-18, 06:22 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind the IS is an entry-luxury car, nothing special, many people buy them thinking that they are buying a MB class E ,the engine noise at idle is definitely present, the brake pads fail prematurely, the car is not refined like other cars in the competition, so maybe the previous owner was just being picky.
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 11-06-18, 07:59 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Yeah, that's what the salesmen are trying to pass this vehicle as; a mere victim of an overly picky consumer. However, it makes me question if California's law is that abusable. So far, everything I see on the papers seems okay. However, why did they buy back the vehicle on 2/8/18 when the problems are all dated in the 2017.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Manufacturer Buyback IS 200T