ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Constant flat tires (IS 300 AWD) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/901735-constant-flat-tires-is-300-awd.html)

kev101 10-10-18 09:50 AM

Constant flat tires (IS 300 AWD)

Hi guys,

I have had my 2016 IS 300 AWD Fsport for almost 2 years. Currently at 30k miles. Since May, the rear tires went flat 2x and front 1x. It's not just a small hole, the entire inside of the tire shreds, looks like someone stuck a ka-bar knife in and slit the tire about 1/4 - 1/2 all the way around. All three times the flat happened exactly the same way which is odd. Also, 3 flats in 5 months? I've never had a flat in my life, I tend to drive conservative so this is odd/new to me.

The only mod's to my car are the lowering springs, installed by Lexus when I bought it. Would that have the body rubbing on the tires possibly?

Does anyone know if there is a recall on these tires?

Bridgestone
255x35xr18 90W (rear)
Turanza EL400

ps Don't know what size the front tire is (staggered tires), the car is at the dealer currently. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about though.

chinox22x 10-10-18 10:11 AM

Is it possible that someone is actually slashing your tires?

RageRacerM 10-10-18 10:24 AM

Sounds like inner tire wear, which is a common characteristic for our cars across the model range. How long have you had your current set of tires? Did you replace or repair the tires involved after each event? If those are the same tires you've had since when you first got the car brand new, then I'm not surprised. They are notorious for not lasting long.

Cannot comment on the lowering springs since I don't know how they would affect the suspension's geometry. What springs did you use?

arentz07 10-10-18 11:10 AM

Are you on the stock wheels as well? It almost sounds like what you are describing is either due to an issue with the wheels or some road hazard that the tires are failing on. Or, someone has it out for you. :D

kev101 10-10-18 12:51 PM

"Is it possible that someone is actually slashing your tires?"

LOL, the first time I considered that. We were on vacation. I parked in a gravel lot in Charleston, SC to look at the ocean. I kept my eyes on the car the whole time since I didn't put money in the meter since we'd be right back. 5 min after we pulled out of the lot it went from 35 to 0, I watched the PSI screen as it happened

The second time it happened driving home, on a highway in Nashville after work. About 20 min into my drive.

Last time, another gravel lot, parking at a steakhouse. Car was fine when we got in, went completely flat 5 min after leaving.

I am seeing a commonality here, gravel lot and 5 min after leaving goes flat. Always with my wife and son. Are these tires prone to gravel tears? Hmmm

kev101 10-10-18 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by RageRacerM (Post 10329685)
Sounds like inner tire wear, which is a common characteristic for our cars across the model range. How long have you had your current set of tires? Did you replace or repair the tires involved after each event? If those are the same tires you've had since when you first got the car brand new, then I'm not surprised. They are notorious for not lasting long.

Cannot comment on the lowering springs since I don't know how they would affect the suspension's geometry. What springs did you use?

1st flat (left rear): 25 k miles on car. this car was bought used, not sure if the original tires but got it @ 6k miles most likely original tires
2nd flat (left front): 28k miles on car. on original tires assuming.
3rd flat (right rear) 30 k miles on car, brand new tires that I bought with flat #1.

p.s. not sure about springs to be honest, they were like 800 installed, need to find paperwork. its not slammed, just slightly lowered, cheap little kit

kev101 10-10-18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by arentz07 (Post 10329733)
Are you on the stock wheels as well? It almost sounds like what you are describing is either due to an issue with the wheels or some road hazard that the tires are failing on. Or, someone has it out for you. :D

-yes sir, stock wheels. lol i hope someone isnt messing with me somehow but given the geographic locations of my flats i doubt it
-possible tires are prone to gravel damage? its large, rock-like gravel, not small and smooth but pretty aggressive. felt aggressive driving over it. parked in 2 lots with similar gravel it right before tires went out. structural integrity?

RageRacerM 10-10-18 01:14 PM

Worn original tires + rough gravel roads = recipe for tire failure. Thats what I think would be the most likely cause of your first 2 flats. As for the third... no idea... must have been some really really bad roads...

kev101 10-11-18 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by RageRacerM (Post 10329839)
Worn original tires + rough gravel roads = recipe for tire failure. Thats what I think would be the most likely cause of your first 2 flats. As for the third... no idea... must have been some really really bad roads...

Makes sense, I appreciate you all taking a look and providing insightful feedback. I'll be sure to stay away from gravel lots or anything else rough in nature with these tires.

Good point about bad roads. The roads in Nashville are really bad, lots of potholes, not sure what potholes do to tires over time but I hit them pretty often driving to and from work. They are deep enough to rattle my jaw like I was hit, scares me sometimes like I damaged my car it's so loud. I'm sure that could weaken the integrity of the tire belt as well over time.

This is my first "sports car" was a Camry, Xterra and huge lifted Tundra in the past or the wife's current Highlander. I never thought these tires would be any weaker than "normal" tires but they do look kind of thin (low profile?) so I guess its pretty obvious they aren't as tough.

Thanks again guys. If this keeps happening I'm seriously considering a Lexus GX as the RX seems kind of girly.

arentz07 10-11-18 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kev101 (Post 10330303)
Makes sense, I appreciate you all taking a look and providing insightful feedback. I'll be sure to stay away from gravel lots or anything else rough in nature with these tires.

Good point about bad roads. The roads in Nashville are really bad, lots of potholes, not sure what potholes do to tires over time but I hit them pretty often driving to and from work. They are deep enough to rattle my jaw like I was hit, scares me sometimes like I damaged my car it's so loud. I'm sure that could weaken the integrity of the tire belt as well over time.

This is my first "sports car" was a Camry, Xterra and huge lifted Tundra in the past or the wife's current Highlander. I never thought these tires would be any weaker than "normal" tires but they do look kind of thin (low profile?) so I guess its pretty obvious they aren't as tough.

Thanks again guys. If this keeps happening I'm seriously considering a Lexus GX as the RX seems kind of girly.

I avoid pot holes at all costs. Here in KCMO we have them everywhere, especially on some roads around where I work, so I have gotten into the habit of scanning the road for them. It's always cringe-worthy whenever I hit a pothole and it's jaw-rattling like you described. It can actually screw with your alignment too.

E46CT 10-11-18 10:57 AM

I think you just had a string of bad luck.

Our cars nor our tires are inherently prone to flats.

Most of my cars had low profile tires and i've never had a flat in my life. just have to be careful what you drive on, where you drive, how you drive, and where you park your car (avoid bad areas if possible)

can you post pics of your cuts?

gbgary 10-12-18 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10330551)
I think you just had a string of bad luck.

Our cars, nor our tires, are inherently prone to flats.

Most of my cars had low profile tires and i've never had a flat in my life. just have to be careful what you drive on, where you drive, how you drive, and where you park your car (avoid bad areas if possible)

.......this!