IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Any 3rd gen IS 250 owners chop off your mufflers yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 07:33 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Any 3rd gen IS 250 owners chop off your mufflers yet?

Looking for some videos, maybe some reviews on how they like their ride after they got it done. Torque issues due to loss of back pressure?
Old 09-20-18, 04:13 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Not to sound like a complete asshat, but why?
Is it just for sound, aesthetics or?

Rarely have I heard (or seen) a car with deleted mufflers that truly sounded pleasing to me.
Old 09-20-18, 08:10 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by swaangin
Looking for some videos, maybe some reviews on how they like their ride after they got it done. Torque issues due to loss of back pressure?
Before I installed my q300, i left my mufflers off and did some runs in it. It sounds absolutely beautiful, not going to lie. Unfortunately, I had 0 torque untill about 4500 rpms. My already slow base 250 just got even slower. I always take functionality over form. If it looks ugly but performs good, thats all that matters. Luckily in my case, I had a brand new q300 axelback waiting for me to install. The install went super smooth and it still sounds absolutely amazing. Albeit, it isnt as loud as no mufflers, but it still has a nice rich tone + all the torque you previously had.
Old 09-20-18, 09:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

as for why people do it, It achieves two things for some: the perception of bad *** (hear my car ROAR!!). and it's also cheapskate friendly (free to chop stuff off)

Mufflers exist for a reason, folks.

don't draw attention to a slow car
Old 09-20-18, 12:04 PM
issafsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who cares what people think. It’s your car. I did and it sounds pretty good haven’t noticed any loss in torque..little drone in the cabin tho.
Old 09-20-18, 12:24 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Before I installed my q300, i left my mufflers off and did some runs in it. It sounds absolutely beautiful, not going to lie. Unfortunately, I had 0 torque untill about 4500 rpms. My already slow base 250 just got even slower. I always take functionality over form. If it looks ugly but performs good, thats all that matters. Luckily in my case, I had a brand new q300 axelback waiting for me to install. The install went super smooth and it still sounds absolutely amazing. Albeit, it isnt as loud as no mufflers, but it still has a nice rich tone + all the torque you previously had.
Staying on this topic, torque loss is due to a loss of back pressure because you're opening up the exhaust flow more. Don't exhaust systems do the same thing? In fact, you're opening up the exhaust even more with an exhaust system vs a muffler delete, so wouldn't the loss of torque be even more in this case?

As to why I would do it, just so it sounds better, I've never done it before but my friend has it done on his M3 and it sounds really good.
Old 09-20-18, 12:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think the whole "backpressure" thing is a myth created and dispersed around the internet a decade or more go. It makes sense. Impeding airflow would not give you more torque. The faster the air can move out (and thus in) the easier your engine will make power. Someone did a video on this:

Old 09-20-18, 01:03 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Exhaust pressure is not a myth. Each engine has a prefered exhaust pressure to run optimally. If your changing your vehicle from street ready to race ready .. that ideal pressure will change, mostly when increasing air intake and HP, or even just driving at higher rpms than the factory assumed would be ideal.

The muffler is primarily for sound. You may like it without a sound tuned muffler for some reason, but please don't do that for the rest of the worlds sake.
Old 09-20-18, 01:16 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by issafsport
Who cares what people think. It’s your car. I did and it sounds pretty good haven’t noticed any loss in torque..little drone in the cabin tho.
Do you mind making a video of the sound?
Old 09-20-18, 01:17 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Exhaust pressure is not a myth. Each engine has a prefered exhaust pressure to run optimally. If your changing your vehicle from street ready to race ready .. that ideal pressure will change, mostly when increasing air intake and HP, or even just driving at higher rpms than the factory assumed would be ideal.

The muffler is primarily for sound. You may like it without a sound tuned muffler for some reason, but please don't do that for the rest of the worlds sake.
Is it really going to be that loud? I didn't think it would be obnoxious, I just wanted a bit more rumble.
Old 09-20-18, 01:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody said exhaust pressure is a myth. Of course exhaust pressure itself is not a myth. you can feel the air blowing out the back.

Back pressure being essential for torque is said to be a myth. Take a look at the engineer's video.
Old 09-20-18, 01:28 PM
yungicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t really fit into this category but I have a 350 that I got the mufflers deleted. I can’t say if I feel a loss of torque since I removed them pretty quick after I got the car but it definitely is a cheap and easy way to make the car sound good.
Old 09-21-18, 08:30 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Staying on this topic, torque loss is due to a loss of back pressure because you're opening up the exhaust flow more. Don't exhaust systems do the same thing? In fact, you're opening up the exhaust even more with an exhaust system vs a muffler delete, so wouldn't the loss of torque be even more in this case?

As to why I would do it, just so it sounds better, I've never done it before but my friend has it done on his M3 and it sounds really good.

FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE*******

When i ran without mufflers at all (open midpie) I didnt have any torque or "umph" when standing on the gas. (yes trac and vsc was off) just my personal experience with my base 250.
Old 09-21-18, 09:26 AM
swaangin
Racer

What if I tell the muffler shop to weld in a pipe of 1.75" - 2" diameter? Less torque loss due to it being the same type of restriction? Anyone know the diameter of the current muffler?
Old 09-24-18, 12:07 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

My son just deleted his muffler on his 3is 200t f-sport. I drive it several times after the delete and not noticing any torque loss. Not gonna lie, it sounds really good... throaty low rumble. it's louder but not too loud. If anyone is into the bike scene, it sounds like Two Brothers exhaust.

Quick Reply: Any 3rd gen IS 250 owners chop off your mufflers yet?